PDA

View Full Version : Only 4% Of Games Make A Profit - EEDAR

wraggster
November 21st, 2008, 21:47
So many games, so little time. But do you ever wonder what happens to the also-rans? The non-AAA titles and the ones that don't have the huge marketing budgets behind them? Or even those that do, but just.. don't work? The answer, according to market analysts EEDAR, is not very much.

EEDAR offer a service to games publishers where they run the numbers on games in development and try to predict how they will perform. The success rates make sobering reading for any game developer.

http://kotaku.com/5096058/only-4-of-games-make-a-profit-+-eedar

Shadowblind
November 21st, 2008, 21:51
I don't believe any of this. If the percentage of profitable games were that low, nobody would ever make them.

royvedas
November 22nd, 2008, 01:26
I don't believe any of this. If the percentage of profitable games were that low, nobody would ever make them.

It's just plain old whining. Grow up

quzar
November 22nd, 2008, 04:11
I believe the numbers, but not that they're representative of the whole gaming industry, only of the companies that engage the services of EEDAR.

osgeld
November 22nd, 2008, 05:10
it might be right

considering

only about 8% of the game makers out there are really big enough to be noticed

then only about 20% of their games ant crap

then what do you consider profitable, is 1 buck over cost profitable or is it the 1 million we projected over cost

wordplay

:confused:

its like the stock reports, "we projected 20 mil profit, but we only made 10 mil, were at a sever loss, its those damn pirates"

well i projected i would make 100 grand profit, but it didnt happen, ,,, but can i report a loss to the irs? maybe get a tax refund on the 35k i did make?

gamesquest1
November 22nd, 2008, 09:29
maybe they are also including figures such as well
"700000 homemade games a year are created" even if its sombody just messing around.
Oh and this includes thousands of flash games on the internet and personal projects people create just for the selves at home so the actual console games only have 4.2% of the "gaming" industry if they include each individual game created by people so now they can say how evil people are for not paying £1000 per game:rofl:
and companies can say give us money if you are going to buy the game second hand.......wait there why didnt nintendo and co. just stick a creditcard slot o the consoles so they can take what they feel like and shut the f..... :pwell you get the point

quzar
November 22nd, 2008, 14:06
The original article is more telling on everything but the 4% thing. http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/21/games-eedar-developers-tech-ebiz-cx_mji_1121eedar.html?partner=yahootix