PDA

View Full Version : Wii Games Hit The Bargain Bin Faster Than PS3, 360 Ones

wraggster
November 21st, 2008, 21:51
The researchers at Electronic Entertainment Design and...Research have been looking at console game sales patterns. Looking at how long it takes a game to enter "price protection", which is a term used for when a publisher - having noticed a game isn't selling very well - lowers the wholesale cost of a game so that retailers can keep it on the shelves at full price, even when the public are ignoring it. What they've found is that this practice occurs for 7.5% of 360 games. And 9.09% of PS3 games. But the Wii? It happens for 15.1% of titles.

http://kotaku.com/5095245/wii-games-hit-the-bargain-bin-faster-than-ps3-360-ones

mcdougall57
November 21st, 2008, 23:56
As a wii owner, how would this be bad news? Games are cheaper therefore you buy more of them, simple as.

goshogun1
November 22nd, 2008, 01:09
I love my wii, but I think games like "Deer Drive", any "imagine" game, and the slew of casual PC game ports for this. Games like Mario kart, SSBB will always be a little more.

Cerepol
November 22nd, 2008, 02:14
well of course, if you look at the ratios of shovelware for each system. you'll see why it's not ****ing rocket science.

quzar
November 22nd, 2008, 04:21
The starting prices and production costs also make this clear. Less PS3 and X360 games are reduced because the publishers can't afford to if they want to make any money.

WhizzBang
November 22nd, 2008, 06:22
I can't say I have noticed this in the games shops in my area. Cheap 360 games are far easier to come by here in Malmö, Sweden.

osgeld
November 22nd, 2008, 06:26
well of course, if you look at the ratios of shovelware for each system. you'll see why it's not ****ing rocket science.

aye, wii games have the "5 year old wailing his arms like a tard" market cornered

even for a 5 year old that has to be a game life of what? a week

gutbub
November 22nd, 2008, 18:10
I got my Wii the first month it came out. I remember going into Gamestop a few days later, and games for the Wii were already as cheap as $14.95. It seems to me that lots of Wii games take maybe a month to get that cheap.

m-p{3}
November 22nd, 2008, 20:37
One work the explain the situation: shovelware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovelware#Modern_usage).

gamev8
November 23rd, 2008, 18:44
You guys are missing the point of the article entirely.
It's not about cheap shovelwere its about lowering the cost that the retailers (Wal-Mart,Best Buy,etc...) have to pay to keep titles in stock at Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.