PDA

View Full Version : DaedalusX64 News - N64 Emulator for PSP

wraggster
November 25th, 2008, 21:26
Chilly Willy posted a news update for the N64 Emu for PSP:

Stupidly huge update committed to svn.

Updated:
- Added lookup table to the fragment cache lookup function. The original code only checked if the address to be looked up was the same as the last one to be looked up. Otherwise it just went through the entire list of fragments looking for the address. I added a 256 entry table using a hash on the address to help speed this up. Now if Howard can profile this for me, we can see if it was a waste or not.

- Cleaned up the prefs a little since the ROM prefs in particular had the descriptions overlapping the element list. I also changed the audio setting so that you can select synchronous or asynchronous processing of the audio. Synchronous is the old method where everything is done by the main CPU. There may be times when that is better, so now you can select it. So the three audio selections are Disabled, Asynchronous, and Synchronous.

- Big update to the asynchronous audio. Howard and I had been doing a semi-polled method of waiting for the MediaEngine before terminating the RSP task. I made the CPU AddEvent thread-safe so that instead we can just do a single AddEvent when the ME is done. This seems to be better. There are still some roms that don't work (well or at all) with asynchronous audio, hence the ability above to switch to sync audio.

One note: Switching ROMs is apparently not quite clean yet. I've noticed a few ROMs where you have to quit the emulator and start fresh or the ROM won't work (properly or at all depending on the ROM). The two I've noted by name are Wave Race 64 and Zelda:OOT.

http://daedalusx64.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5c801f0979aa30ebce677637813c34 29&topic=249.0

NOCHUCK
November 26th, 2008, 09:28
This update sounds awsome! I really like the audio swiching option to get all the roms that were working back up and running and use the me speed increase on roms it helps. Thanks for the good news and happy thanksgiving to any of the coders from the US to everyone else have a great weekend!

Paganel
November 26th, 2008, 11:00
Where Can I Download It?

kharaboudjan
November 26th, 2008, 15:06
for those who missed --->

He's back.... What? The dead has risen again.
« on: Today at 08:51:04 AM »

That's right, I have permission to let everyone know. I have been in contact directly with StrnmNrmn for a few days now and he is coming back to Daedalus. He's going to be making a small commit to DaedalusX64. (Fixes an issue loading some homebrew N64 roms). He's been working on a port for the original. ATM he is looking at our new code. He said he's glad there is a team working on it and said that was something the original project was lacking. However don't get overexcited as he said life is still very busy for him and he won't have much time for Daedalus and will be on more of a consulting role until he gets more time. A few users already noticed he's already been added to the SF project, but here's the short list of it:

1.StrmnNrmn is back.
2.He approves of the project. (As long as we stay open source.)
On that note the SVN is located at: https://daedalusx64.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/daedalusx64
Anyone can have the latest Alpha if they want it they just have to build it. (Beta 1 was Revision 22, Current as of this post is Revision 54, but they latest version isn't considered stable and is very much a WIP)
3.He also said he will contribute to the project after he gets done with his current port.
4.He also said he might stop by the IRC sometime.

Other questions:
Will he ever update his blog?
Eventually

Is the code going to be merged?
Not at this point but we will be keeping each other informed of changes.

How he been doing?
Been doing well, but life has been busy for him.

That's all for now,
Kreationz

woop
November 26th, 2008, 16:17
for those who missed --->

He's back.... What? The dead has risen again.
« on: Today at 08:51:04 AM »

That's right, I have permission to let everyone know. I have been in contact directly with StrnmNrmn for a few days now and he is coming back to Daedalus. He's going to be making a small commit to DaedalusX64. (Fixes an issue loading some homebrew N64 roms). He's been working on a port for the original. ATM he is looking at our new code. He said he's glad there is a team working on it and said that was something the original project was lacking. However don't get overexcited as he said life is still very busy for him and he won't have much time for Daedalus and will be on more of a consulting role until he gets more time. A few users already noticed he's already been added to the SF project, but here's the short list of it:

1.StrmnNrmn is back.
2.He approves of the project. (As long as we stay open source.)
On that note the SVN is located at: https://daedalusx64.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/daedalusx64
Anyone can have the latest Alpha if they want it they just have to build it. (Beta 1 was Revision 22, Current as of this post is Revision 54, but they latest version isn't considered stable and is very much a WIP)
3.He also said he will contribute to the project after he gets done with his current port.
4.He also said he might stop by the IRC sometime.

Other questions:
Will he ever update his blog?
Eventually

Is the code going to be merged?
Not at this point but we will be keeping each other informed of changes.

How he been doing?
Been doing well, but life has been busy for him.

That's all for now,
Kreationz
Thanks for the insight, I thought I seen his name on the svn.