PDA

View Full Version : Analysts say fall Playstation 3 release likely

wraggster
January 17th, 2006, 18:08
As if we didn't already have enough PS3 delay rumors, now industry analysts are jumping into the fray, some predicting a fall launch for the console. The two reported issues that could cause a hold-up are improving chip yield and production hiccups in game development.

From the article: "Analyst Evan Wilson of Pacific Crest Securities, said 'the most likely scenario' is that PS3 will be released in Japan this summer with about 1 million units and in the US in November with 1 million units, followed by a European launch in March 2007." Regarding the newly released analyst data, Next-Gen writes: "William Drewry of Credit Suisse First Boston said,'The decision as to whether to delay the PS3 launch has yet to be made and is dependent on improving its chip yield.' Although Sony talked about a spring launch for PS3 last year, it has never offered regional specifics. A 'delay' until November will be good news for Microsoft, which has bet its strategy for the next generation on selling as many Xbox 360s as possible prior to PS3's arrival."

If Sony can get their chip production on schedule, would you rather have an early US release with fewer games, or wait until 15-20 titles are ready for launch?

Kaiser
January 18th, 2006, 05:44
I'm still expecting a May/June (in Japan) release for PS3 no matter what these so called "insider analysts are predicting". But if a later launch would mean more variety and more polished games then I'm willing to wait I suppose. Doesn't mean that will be the case or not just what I would prefer.