PDA

View Full Version : Spacetime, the more you know,

shadowprophet
November 29th, 2008, 18:14
Bring us about and fire phasers on my mark,

You know in a sense, television shows like star trek and buck rogers, have done more damage to young minds then possibly calculable.

they fire the imagination with scientific terms often based "at least partly" in authentic science theory.

but the truth is, most people don't really know what a light year, or a black hole, or antimatter for that .. uhh.. matter.

Today though, i'd like to talk about a term you have all likely heard, but may not really know what the term means.

Spacetime,
An example of spacetime could be made at you own home with common place house hold items .

Imagine spacetime as sheet of rubber pulled tightly at all four corners, when you place a small marble "we will call this marble earth" on the sheet it sets there as it should, but notice the indentation our marbel made in the rubber around it, this indentation represents earths gravity, and it's effects on spacetime, if you place another heavier sphere on the rubber sheet, what happens? the heavier object will have a greater effect on the rubber sheet, err,or spacetime and pull the lesser object into its gravity,

now imagine placing a very very heavy object,"our black hole, for this model with an awesome impact on spacetime. like a metal ball barring. this object, sinks down so far it sinks into an area known as hyperspace, and all we see is an empty spot on our model that looks like a hole.
"we call that an event horizon, once you cross the event horizon, that's it theres no turning back, you are back hole food"

with such a radical effect on spacetime, all things slowly gravitate to it.

Hey? what happens when two black holes have such an effect on spacetime,or that they meet each other in this area known as hyperspace?

You get what astro physics deem, a wormhole.

An anomaly where two black holes meet in hyperspace connecting one event horizon with another.

Congradulations, if you have read and understood this, you now possess a college level understanding of spacetime

:cool:

ICE
November 29th, 2008, 18:41
Black holes are very fascinating. We all know that you couldnt survive, or not at least in your current form, entering a black hole but what if you could? The gravity there is nearly infinite therefore time would either be completely stopped or just tick by so slowly that it seems so. Barring the "spaghettification" you would go through it would be quite interesting to experience being "paused". Although you wouldnt realize it of course :P

EDIT: The only real flaw of using a rubber sheet (I always used a bed sheet as an example lol) and marbles to explain space time is that in reality space time isnt 2d. You have to somehow imagine that same concept but in 3 dimensions to really get a good picture in your head of the concept.

shadowprophet
November 29th, 2008, 18:54
Black holes are very fascinating. We all know that you couldnt survive, or not at least in your current form, entering a black hole but what if you could? The gravity there is nearly infinite therefore time would either be completely stopped or just tick by so slowly that it seems so. Barring the "spaghettification" you would go through it would be quite interesting to experience being "paused". Although you wouldnt realize it of course :P

EDIT: The only real flaw of using a rubber sheet (I always used a bed sheet as an example lol) and marbles to explain space time is that in reality space time isnt 2d. You have to somehow imagine that same concept but in 3 dimensions to really get a good picture in your head of the concept. very true, as it stands, wormholes are pure theory, but where one ever discovered, it would be one one of the most profound discoveries ever made,or in space exploration.
a discovery so profound, it would be worth the to attempt to travel it.

spacetime would be three dimensional, but i'll be honest, you try explaining spacetime in three dimensions :p

this way was more to the point and less confusing ;)

ICE
November 29th, 2008, 19:19
very true, as it stands, wormholes are pure theory, but where one ever discovered, it would be one one of the most profound discoveries ever made,or in space exploration.
a discovery so profound, it would be worth the to attempt to travel it.

spacetime would be three dimensional, but i'll be honest, you try explaining spacetime in three dimensions :p

this way was more to the point and less confusing ;)

I have heard before that its possible that black holes are linked and that they can cause folds in space time. So in theory you could enter one black hole, move over the fold in space time and exit the second black hole thus cutting your travel time quite considerably. The only problem is the whole exiting the second black hole part. They dont work like that lol.

You could imagine it as a sheet of paper with an ant on it. The ant is one one end and wants to get to the other. He could either walk all the way over or have someone fold the paper so he could just walk over the fold and skip most of the sheet of paper.

Thats the worm hole right?

shadowprophet
November 29th, 2008, 19:31
I have heard before that its possible that black holes are linked and that they can cause folds in space time. So in theory you could enter one black hole, move over the fold in space time and exit the second black hole thus cutting your travel time quite considerably. The only problem is the whole exiting the second black hole part. They dont work like that lol.

You could imagine it as a sheet of paper with an ant on it. The ant is one one end and wants to get to the other. He could either walk all the way over or have someone fold the paper so he could just walk over the fold and skip most of the sheet of paper.

Thats the worm hole right?
very much so yes, except the term tunnel or hole would be more accurate but thats just my opinion, some astro physicists do use the term "fold" carl sagen for instance used the folding term,

but carl is less noted then einstine and hawking who use hole or tunnel, einstine was even known to simply call it "curved spacetime" still,

in any term table, you have a great understanding of the physics behind it :cool:

ICE
November 29th, 2008, 19:38
This is the image that was in my head.
http://www.familycourtchronicles.com/philosophy/wormhole/wormhole-diagram.jpg

For those to exist though you would need the theorized white holes wouldnt you? A black hole as the entry and a white hole as the exit.

shadowprophet
November 29th, 2008, 22:40
This is the image that was in my head.
http://www.familycourtchronicles.com/philosophy/wormhole/wormhole-diagram.jpg

For those to exist though you would need the theorized white holes wouldnt you? A black hole as the entry and a white hole as the exit. ah i know this theory,

it's a theory in which light is used to mesure the distance a wormhole covers in spacetime,
it's a solid theory, even if not proven yet. i mean what are they gonna test this theory on, yet to be discovered wormholes,

some day though this will be science fact, and not just science theory

pibs
November 30th, 2008, 02:45
I read Ideas and Opinions by Albert Einstein and at the last chapters where about the theory of relativity so that helped me kinda get a picture of what it is. Also History channel had about a 2hour special on Einstein that visually explained space-time to me.

I just wonder if all those crazy theories of time travel could work
http://www.slais.ubc.ca/COURSES/libr500/04-05-wt1/www/b_ballantyne/media/wormhole1.jpgnow all I need is a delorean.

ICE
November 30th, 2008, 02:50
The picture I linked too looks almost exactly like that :P Anywho I could read about this general subject for hours.