PDA

View Full Version : Emergency, jury duty.

shadowprophet
November 29th, 2008, 20:09
I just found out moments ago, i've been summoned to jury duty.

firstly, id rather have envasive brain surgery then do this.
how do I get out of this?

this isn't fair, I don't want to do this!!!!

but if i don't i'll be held in contempt and thrown in jail.

How fair is that!!? free country my ass....:(

Accordion
November 29th, 2008, 20:58
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Out-of-Jury-Duty

shadowprophet
November 29th, 2008, 21:46
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Out-of-Jury-Duty

Thanks for having my back brother, but the warning at the bottom scares me:(

Accordion
November 29th, 2008, 23:40
well, i know nothing about it actually. quick google search is all.

If you have nothing else to do…
How bad can it be?

wraggster
November 30th, 2008, 00:00
luckily im 37 and never been asked to do jury service :)

Accordion
November 30th, 2008, 00:22
If i understand correctly, all those summoned must be screened before actually becoming part of the jury…
Any sign of objectivity to matters relating to the case, or similar events you have witnessed, and you wont be chosen.

If you have yet to reply, it may be that you never received the summons…

shadowprophet
November 30th, 2008, 00:24
luckily im 37 and never been asked to do jury service :)

Hey wraggs long time no hear man how ya been? :)

Really you are lucky, 31 here and this is my second call to jury duty.

I got out of it the first time by pure luck, my doctor wrote me an excuse "even though I wasn't really sick" :p

"I wont lie, I was glad to have that excuse.

he was a good doctor, But since that time he has retired, My new family doctor
is a different story, he's fresh out of medical school and some what on the straight and narrow,

I don't see how i'm going to get out of this one.

shadowprophet
November 30th, 2008, 00:28
well, see brother accordion, being summoned to jury duty, is a lot like being drafted into the army. There are very few excuses that will actually work.

if i go in there and they determine that i'm just trying to shirk jury duty they will slap contempt charges on me, on the spot.

that old rumor about claiming to hate the cops and therefor you see all criminals as innocent in a corrupt justice system,

yeah, thats automatic 30 days jail time there.

There are very few things that I know of outside of health issues that will get me out of this :(

the truth is, i'm almost afraid not to do this. once i'm being interviewed if I say the wrong things in that interview, the outcome will most likely be jail time, The truth is, it seems like a justice system, but there is no justice in it. if i don't do this. and exactly how they want me to do it. it will most likely result in contempt charges..

You would think i would have the freedoms to say what I wanted in that interview. and in ways I do have those freedoms, but only at the cost of jail time. in their eyes. I do this or I do time. the only way out that I know of, is if i suddenly died or of I had one of those magical doctors excuses.

Accordion
November 30th, 2008, 00:39
I'm flat-footed…

Could be interesting to witness ignorance, corruption, bigotry and injustice from the inside of contained space however

_MFebZlUJ7E

shadowprophet
November 30th, 2008, 00:49
I'm flat-footed…

Could be interesting to witness ignorance, corruption, bigotry and injustice from the inside of contained space however

what I dislike most about this is in this free country they set me against my peers. This is a small town everybody knows everybody.

I don't want to be on the jury that sends my old school friends to jail for silly little misdemeanor charges:(

pibs
November 30th, 2008, 02:24
Wow that sucks, that was mostly the reason I decided not to vote. All my friends got caught doing jury duty....... even you SP! noooo damn government lol

I got my mom out of it by calling this one number on the sheet they sent and just dialed the number for not understanding english all too well and that automatically disqualified her. In her case its not a lie as she really doesn't understand or speak it well but if you feel like getting out try calling that number then just do as I said. You still have to mail the sheet in though.

Good Luck!

mina
December 4th, 2008, 19:08
I just found out moments ago, i've been summoned to jury duty.

firstly, id rather have envasive brain surgery then do this.
how do I get out of this?

this isn't fair, I don't want to do this!!!!

but if i don't i'll be held in contempt and thrown in jail.

How fair is that!!? free country my ass....:(

good luck :)

Triv1um
December 4th, 2008, 20:59
Get on with it man.

If you've been summonded to do it, step up to the plate like a man.

I can understand why you don't want to do it, but you need to. You aren't the only one that won't want to go.

bullhead
December 10th, 2008, 18:27
I was summoned to do jury duty about a year ago. I threw the letter out and forgot about it. Havn't heard anything from them since. Apparently it was just luck that they didnt get in touch with me. My mother was angry because I could have got in a bit of trouble. I'd be interested in going though. Id like to see all that stuff accordion mentioned take place in front of me, injustice and such...

bullhead.

DarthPaul
December 12th, 2008, 13:46
Wow that sucks, that was mostly the reason I decided not to vote.

DAMN!

Why did I vote....?

DPyro
December 12th, 2008, 15:28
I'm a student so they can't get me :p

jamotto
December 12th, 2008, 19:31
DAMN!

Why did I vote....?

Even if you didn't vote you still might be called for jury duty as some states use the local census to pick people for jury duty.

DarthPaul
December 13th, 2008, 12:14
I'm a student so they can't get me :p

Same.

Phew... Forgot about that. :thumbup:

StryfeDc
December 13th, 2008, 15:20
If i understand correctly, all those summoned must be screened before actually becoming part of the jury…
Any sign of objectivity to matters relating to the case, or similar events you have witnessed, and you wont be chosen...

Don't you mean subjectivity? If you are found in any way relating to case to hold bias(es) to some relating particular of the case, there is a good possibility you could be dismissed.

For instance:
A person of a certain ethnic background is being tried for a crime, but you are a proclaimed or evident member of a hate group against that ethnicity. Not good obviously!

In short, sorry, not sure...

pibs
December 15th, 2008, 08:39
Getting out of jury duty is easy. The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races.
I guess its true...

Mostly I didn't vote because I did not care for either candidate and I exercised my right to not vote:p

The whole system is corrupt.... senate bidding ;)

Twinights
December 15th, 2008, 18:29
I've always wondered...whats so bad about jury duty?