PDA

View Full Version : Vector Infector PSP

wraggster
January 18th, 2006, 19:40
smayds has ported the game Vector Infector to the PSP, heres the details:

<blockquote>Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the PSP, and have been spending the last week or so learning how to play with its innards. I've come up with this little game, which is a 'port' of Vector Infector, a game being put together by one of me mates. It's a Geometry Wars inspired game. Basically, you have to kill everything that moves, except for the shiny little gems, which you collect. The more gems you get, the higher your score multiplier, and the bigger your guns get.

It's still VERY beta so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Controls:

Dpad or analoggy to move
Shape buttons to fire
Ltrigger = switch between robotron-esque and straight-ahead shooting
Rtrigger = freeze movement for aiming when shooting straight ahead
Select = dump screenshot to MS root (just raw, sorry!)
Start = cycle music (only 1 track though, so never mind)

Cheers,
Smayds</blockquote>

Download and screenshots via the comments

Amiga
January 18th, 2006, 21:17
This game kicks arse!!! :D

ButtMonkey
January 18th, 2006, 21:37
holy moly! what a cool game!

kiore
January 18th, 2006, 21:48
Nice game ........... It a change to see something new for the psp and not something that I played on my 486 DX100 many a year ago, revamped and ported to psp .

good one . :cool:

Exab
January 18th, 2006, 23:36
hooo Shiney!

I like it alot, fun to play simple but still fun. Can't wait to see more.

Jdemon
January 19th, 2006, 00:25
:D Sweet little shooter, it's easy enough to re-encode an mp3 if you know how. Very colorfull ;) I'm assuming the full finished game won't be as generous with the amount of lives though?

Great Work!

Anyone know How to open the raw data for the screenshot? IrfanView will open it but I don't know what settings to use to get a clear shot.

urchin
January 19th, 2006, 00:30
Yeah, the lives threw me initially. I thought it was my score until it started going down :D

matrix39
January 19th, 2006, 00:33
great game, cant wait for an update

AtariFreek
January 19th, 2006, 00:51
Blahhhhhhh....*Slurrrppp* Sorry Was I Drooling Again?? This Game Is Positively Hands Down F*****G SWEET! Smooth Gameplay And Sharp Graphics Make This A Must Have Homebrew Game. And I Agree With matrix39 I Cant Wait For An Update!

crooked cross
January 19th, 2006, 01:15
This is the type of game that suits the psp best. Keep em coming.

Xan
January 19th, 2006, 09:17
Just Awesome.One of best looking homebrew games on PSP.
Great work and this is only beta.. very impresive.
One thing game crashes when i try to do SS.
I hope you will include mp3 browser in final version.
Erm.. edit one thing , like it stoped to work with 2.0 loader after 2-3 times ;/ mayby its just me but :< damn this game was so sweet.

Xan
January 19th, 2006, 16:49
Ok found a "way" to launch it under 2.0 eboot loader.
Firts run Ghost in The Matrix game ,exit it using "jack out" not eboot and then load Vector .
Game loads with sound but w/o music.
I hope this will help you with making it run under 2.0.
Still great game and by far one of best looking homebreew on psp.

Evil Inside
January 19th, 2006, 17:26
Looks like I'll have to get the newest ver of Ghost in the Matrix and try both games out.

BTW, this title looks awesome. Kind of like Mutant Storm.

ArugulaZ
January 20th, 2006, 01:10
Wow, it looks almost as good as Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved! I'm not used to homebrews with this much polish. I hope they improve the gameplay in future updates, though. It's not very compelling, lacking the intensity and excitement of Robotron: 2084.

JR

.:PSP1.0:.
January 20th, 2006, 09:01
This game is awesome! So nice to look at and very addictive gameplay.. keep up the good work smayds..! ;)

MaxSMoke
January 20th, 2006, 14:04
I haven't seen that many explosions since 'Nam! j/k

But seriously, very pretty game. The screen seems to turn into a cloud of glowing white smoke after the first weapons upgrade. I guess it's handy that you really don't need to see where your going or what your doing after the upgrade, since you're almost invulnerable under that constant hail of gunfire you can put out. The only lives I lost were those trying to figure out what was good to touch and what was bad.

As a demo of your graphical prowess, it's amazing. But as a game, it could use a few more things, like:

#1. Much Smaller explosions (it's often very hard to see the screen)
#2. Some variety of enemies.
a. Enemy Gunners that shoot back
b. Enemy Mothers that lay eggs, eggs turn into new enemies.
c. Enemies with random movement patterns
d. Tripwire Laser Enemies with lasers between them
e. High Gravity Bombs that suck in the player if you're too close
#3. Progressive weapon upgrades. Maybe the ability to change firing modes after upgrades? Here's some possible firing modes:
a. Shooting sideways and up at the same time (+ Shooting)
b. Shooting Diagonal (x Shooting)
c. Laser Beam (only shoots straight, but passes through enemies, killing everything in a line)
d. Rockets (little circles that travel in a straight line, and explode with splash damage)
e. Missiles (little Squares that swerve into any nearby enemy, explosion damage)
f. Plasma Sword (Like a laser, but limited range and constant firing. You just sweep it around to slash at badguys)
#4. Super Attacks
a. Nuclear
b. Blackhole Bomb (Explodes on impact, sucks up enemies, maybe even the player if they are too close)
c. Killer Satellite (Enemies attack it, it shoots back)

That's just some ideas if you want to enhance the game further. It's a great graphics demo as it is now. Amazing for someone new to coding for the PSP Hardware!