PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Newell Thinks DRM Mostly "Dumb"

wraggster
December 3rd, 2008, 23:22
Gabe Newell, Valve cofounder and managing director, has reportedly shared his feelings regarding data rights management. According to a LiveJournal post (via Gamepolitcs.com), Newell wrote, "most DRM strategies are just dumb."

Newell added, "The goal should be to create greater value for customers through service value (make it easy for me to play my games whenever and wherever I want to), not by decreasing the value of a product (maybe I'll be able to play my game and maybe I won't)."

"We really, really discourage other developers and publishers from using the broken DRM offerings, and in general there is a groundswell to abandon those approaches."

Following through on the philosophy of rewarding the legitimate consumer, Steam, Valve's digital distribution service, offers players constant inbuilt game updates and various community implemented features, such as friends lists.

Due to its rather restrictive nature, DRM has caused quite a controversy as of late. The highly-anticipated and critically-praised Spore has received much criticism due to it three-install limitation. Even though the unique simulator currently maintains an 8.3 average on game averaging site Gamestats.com, Spore has only garnered a one-point five out of five star rating from consumer web site Amazon.com. Several users from the web site's community shared their thoughts that Spore's DRM was draconian in nature.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/935/935020p1.html

gutbub
December 4th, 2008, 02:43
High five to the Steam guy. I love Steam, and hope more developers eventually see its value.

jrsmaster411
December 4th, 2008, 03:16
Jumbo should go eat another burger

GibsonSGKing
December 4th, 2008, 21:45
these piracy protections very rarely stop piracy to any extent, and in the end just create more trouble for the paying, legit, customer then people that actually pirate the game.

Uberman
December 5th, 2008, 00:34
They've just substituted one DRM method for another. Steam is a DRM platform (as opposed to a method). So, by definition, Newell must also think Steam is mostly "Dumb."

I tolerate Steam. Admittedly, it's convenient, and I like the ability to have my "account" appear on a different machine. However, it's still a DRM approach. Valve has only given DRM a more-digestible, less-intrusive form.

fpcreator2000
December 5th, 2008, 13:58
They've just substituted one DRM method for another. Steam is a DRM platform (as opposed to a method). So, by definition, Newell must also think Steam is mostly "Dumb."

I tolerate Steam. Admittedly, it's convenient, and I like the ability to have my "account" appear on a different machine. However, it's still a DRM approach. Valve has only given DRM a more-digestible, less-intrusive form.

It was awesome not being able to play Orange Box because the game needs to connect to Steam in order for it to "allow" me to play the single player campaign. Hence the reason I'm never buying another Valve product for the rest of my life. Nor am I buying games for the PC that require such DRM proctection that disables me from playing a game that I paid for (full price, brand new) because I lacked an internet connection for verification (this occurring after I've installed the game, played it multiple times, then took my laptop to New York and suddenly asked for reverification, WHY? God only knows). Except for Command and Conquer and other Strategy games, I'm sticking to consoles thank you.

K1ckass
December 5th, 2008, 18:20
Totally agree with Gabe, the DRM is total failure, it's not even worth writing a whole post about it, it sucks BIG time.

Valve pwns btw. :D

Dbgtgoten
December 6th, 2008, 19:34
Valve needs to look at themselves Its like calling something stupid when you are in fact one of those people Steam isn't that good annoying really