PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Backwards Compatibility to Return ?

wraggster
December 4th, 2008, 18:43
news via french site jv247:

The disappearance of the PS2 backwards compatibility of the PlayStation 3 had caused the dissatisfaction of a number of players. It appears, however, it has not been completely abandoned. Indeed, according to our sources at a publisher of games, backwards compatibility should be part of a recent firmware update for the PS3. Withdrawn at the last moment, it could still be contained in a forthcoming updates. This addition would aim to facilitate the arrival of PS2 games on the PlayStation Store. Stay tuned ...

http://www.jv247.com/console.php?content=NEWS&id=8&news_id=192

Mc_Logical
December 4th, 2008, 19:53
Yeah and prob a bunch of shit ps2 games to download from psn store, like ps1 games, but man i hope the ps3 has a breakthrough with sum1 hacking the firmware come on ahhhhh! lol but anyway if so and the ps2 emulation in the firmware hacked too, like psp with most ps1 games compatable on custom firmware, "cough" ps2 iso`s "cough"

Gene
December 4th, 2008, 22:09
Yeah and prob a bunch of shit ps2 games to download from psn store, like ps1 games, but man i hope the ps3 has a breakthrough with sum1 hacking the firmware come on ahhhhh! lol but anyway if so and the ps2 emulation in the firmware hacked too, like psp with most ps1 games compatable on custom firmware, "cough" ps2 iso`s "cough"

This would be a terrible idea, not to mention, illegal. why would you bother having ps2 backups taking up space on a hard drive when you can easily pop in the discs anyway. I understand buying classic ps2 games you no don't own, or for better compatibility.

Don't be a cheap bastard( no offense). If you like the game enough to want it on you ps3, buy the disc/download, and play it the way it's meant to be played.

Mc_Logical
December 4th, 2008, 22:59
This would be a terrible idea, not to mention, illegal. why would you bother having ps2 backups taking up space on a hard drive when you can easily pop in the discs anyway. I understand buying classic ps2 games you no don't own, or for better compatibility.

Don't be a cheap bastard( no offense). If you like the game enough to want it on you ps3, buy the disc/download, and play it the way it's meant to be played.

lol cheap? no id like to just load back up ps2 games on ps3 (which i believe most reading this would want too) don`t mock my opinion, ps2 will die out anyway, by putting them in the psn store is just to make more money attracting ppl more because it loads from ps3, they make enough money! and yeah! by then pirating ps2 on ps3 ain't going to matter, ppl pirated on ps1/ps2, but majority of ppl don`t pirate, i know more ppl with standard sony psp fw than custom, oh! and btw u won't be seeing many decent ps2 games to download from the store, some popular titles

F9zDark
December 5th, 2008, 02:20
i know more ppl with standard sony psp fw than custom, oh! and btw u won't be seeing many decent ps2 games to download from the store, some popular titles

I use custom firmware on my PSP but that doesn't mean that I am a pirate. Do I have UMD isos on my PSP? Yeah. But do I own those original UMDs? Of course.

Battery life and loading times are much better when these games are stored on the memory stick.

Tesseract
December 5th, 2008, 03:00
I'd still like for them to make it so you can pop in a PS1 disc and have it automatically converted by the PSN application on the PC or a PS3. Why I should buy Wild ARMs again when I already own the disc is beyond me.

Could even just have it read the disc ID for authentication, then give you a free pass to download the PSN version. Just... anything more convenient than re-buying.

Ultima Chocochu
December 5th, 2008, 04:26
PS3 doesn't need anyone hacking it, and even though tons of cool things could be done to it I don't want it to be.
The PSP has been effected by hacking, because people misuse it and download PSP games instead of buying them, not saying all do but a lot do.
I don't want this to happen to the PS3 at all, no matter how amazing it could be.
If you wanna have your games on the HDD do it the legal way, use Linux and get an emulator.

I agree with Tesseract about the last part, it'd be nice to download the games you own after some sort of authentication.

Not saying this will kill the PS3, but we'd expect to see people downloading a PS3 game or so(due to it taking up most of the harddrive it'd be hard XD) and playing through it, which I don't want to happen.
Also
No one wants to worry about the possibility of bricking a 500 dollar console, and voiding the warranty as well.

jamotto
December 5th, 2008, 06:08
I'd still like for them to make it so you can pop in a PS1 disc...
Just... anything more convenient than re-buying.

Why don't don't you just put in your ps1 disc and play from it?

malgora
December 5th, 2008, 11:15
i was devo'd when i heard that ps3 didnt play ps2 games.... this is great news for me .. hopefully they do it right this time... if its only psn games im gunna be a little dissapointed again but hey anything is better then nothing ... note .. that would be the reason why i hope the ps3 gets hacked.. to play my ps2 games .... hopefully some1 would make an emu for it or soemthign ...... be kinda hard.. but yeah be great.. (no im not talking about pirate) .... well cheers sony if ya put it back in

Tesseract
December 5th, 2008, 11:32
Why don't don't you just put in your ps1 disc and play from it?
A) Should I ever get a PS3, I'd like to have the convenience of just having to hunt through the XMB, rather than my rather large (and frequently worn/scratched) PSX collection.

B) Kinda hard to fit CD's into my PSP. :D

sorceror
December 5th, 2008, 14:09
Could even just have it read the disc ID for authentication, then give you a free pass to download the PSN version. Just... anything more convenient than re-buying.

That would make a lot of sense... so for sure, they won't do it. :) I can understand making the older games available for download - when doing emulation, some instructions are easier than others, and if you can tweak the program to avoid 'problematic' areas, emulation becomes way more practical. (Example: Linux is much easier to run on a virtual machine than Windows, because you can tweak Linux to avoid the nastier parts of the x86 instruction set... but you can't recompile Windows.)

So, Sony could run PS2 games much more easily on the PS3 if they can tweak the games as well as the emulator. Hence, downloadable PS2 games. They will do DRM, of course - this is Sony we're talking about - but they could at least make two options available.

Option #1: You pays your money and you downloads the game. It runs just fine, no disc needed, just like any other PSN download.

Option #2: You download the game for free... but it'll only run if the PS2 disc is in the drive. (That way, you can't just rent or borrow the game to 'activate' it once.)

Fair to everyone, Sony still gets their money (or got it), rainbows and sunshine. Too bad it makes too much sense for them to go that route. :)

Zin0099
December 8th, 2008, 03:16
i was thinking even if it was a rental we'd pay maybe 10-15 dollars for the disc to hdd option and must have a psn account in order to do this!! or $50 for one year

F9zDark
December 8th, 2008, 04:20
PS3 doesn't need anyone hacking it, and even though tons of cool things could be done to it I don't want it to be.
The PSP has been effected by hacking, because people misuse it and download PSP games instead of buying them, not saying all do but a lot do.
I don't want this to happen to the PS3 at all, no matter how amazing it could be.
If you wanna have your games on the HDD do it the legal way, use Linux and get an emulator.

I agree with Tesseract about the last part, it'd be nice to download the games you own after some sort of authentication.

Not saying this will kill the PS3, but we'd expect to see people downloading a PS3 game or so(due to it taking up most of the harddrive it'd be hard XD) and playing through it, which I don't want to happen.
Also
No one wants to worry about the possibility of bricking a 500 dollar console, and voiding the warranty as well.

I agree with you on this (in regards to the PS3). But Sony should at least stick by what they said and unlock at least SOME of what Linux offers us in terms of 3d gaming.

Why say they "support" homebrew by giving us Linux, yet make it only as powerful as say, the SNES?

JLF65
December 9th, 2008, 01:25
But Sony should at least stick by what they said and unlock at least SOME of what Linux offers us in terms of 3d gaming.

Why say they "support" homebrew by giving us Linux, yet make it only as powerful as say, the SNES?

Work is underway by at least a couple groups to do 3D via the SPUs. I almost think that was what Sony had in mind when they didn't give any hardware access to the RSX. The RSX is an aging chip (7800GT equivalent) and only getting older. Sony might be making/letting the linux community do all the work in using the SPUs to do 3D instead of the RSX. Then the PS4 will come w/o the RSX but with a newer Cell CPU with more/faster SPUs.