PDA

View Full Version : Second hand games hurting the Industry?, rant

mike_jmg
December 4th, 2008, 19:42
I just can't believe how many videogame companies are complaining (more like whining) about how selling second hand games is hurting them and what are they going to do about it.

I'm sick of it:mad:

It is THE most stupid thing I've ever heard

They don't realize the game is not their property anymore. A person buys a game, the game now belongs to that person, is that so difficult to understand. If he wants to sell it later or break it in a thousand pieces, that is HIS problem.

Is like If I buy a car and years later I want to sell it, GM comes and whines they're not making any profit out of it.

It is the same thing, games lose their value too, no one would pay you full retail price for your used games. Discs get scratched easily and lose more of their original value etc.

DLC my ass, If they want to make profit out of used games go on and do what the car companies do, buy them back and sell them at any price you want.

ICE
December 4th, 2008, 19:47
I got my PS3 a month ago. Since then I have bought Orange Box, GTA IV and Assassins Creed all used. $60 is simply too much for a game for me so I buy a large portion of my games used.

The real question is if there were no used games would I buy the games new for full price? Are used game sales actually taking away from the new game sales? Its hard to say for sure but I would be willing to bet that if used games werent around I would have given the actual game makers more money than I have now.

Its not anything they should complain about though. The reselling of used items isnt anything new..

quzar
December 4th, 2008, 21:25
Second hand games DO and don't hurt the industry. Same thing with second hand everything. They play an integral role in giving people a way to reduce the actual cost in the long run.

A 50$ game that is identical to it's second owner costs less overall. If you can get 10$ for it later then the actual cost is 40$, if you can't...