PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Sony: Syphon Filter beta needs 2.6 to apply

wraggster
January 19th, 2006, 17:43
Source - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/19/sneaky-sony-syphon-filter-beta-needs-2-6-to-apply/)

Sony has sent out an invitation for PSP owners to beta test their upcoming title Siphon Filter: Dark Mirror. All they ask is that you go to http://pspbeta.us.playstation.com on your PSP's brower, submit an application, and hope they pick you.

There is one catch though: Sony is requiring that all applicants use (the still unhacked) PSP firmware 2.6 just to apply. Clever plan. Create excitement by having an open application process to beta test an upcoming game, hoping applicants will choose to forgo their downgradable/downgraded homebrew friendly firmware just for a small chance to play a new game before it's out. Thanks, but I'll stick with my 1.5 PSP chock full o' stuff.

(Read on for Sony's invitation; thanks, al.)

[Thanks to everyone that tipped us!]

Congratulations

You have been hand selected for a very special mission. We're beta testing a title exclusively for the PSP (PlayStation®Portable) system Syphon Filter®: Dark Mirror. We'd like you to apply to be one of our beta testers. Space is limited, so register today using only your PSP browser. (You will not be able to register for this beta test any other way.)

Just follow these simple steps:

1) Upgrade your PSP Firmware to 2.6*

2) From your PSP Internet browser go to http://pspbeta.us.playstation.com.
(We will only accept registrations that are completed on the PSP%uFFFD browser.)

3) Follow the onscreen instructions to complete your registration.

You will not receive a confirmation email. We will not send out acceptance notifications until all applications are processed.

Please note that this beta is ONLY playable online on your PSP%uFFFD system via a wireless Internet connection. No offline version is available.

*Instructions on how to download
- install the 2.6 Firmware Upgrade:
- Information and instructions about using your computer to install the Firmware are available here.
- If you have wireless Internet access, simply choose the "Network Update" option under the settings menu of your PSP system. More details.

Important Beta Test Guidelines

EMAIL ADDRESS: Once you have submitted your application via the PSP browser (part of Firmware 2.6), do not change the email address in your PlayStation Underground Member Profile. You may only participate in this beta test with the address to which we sent this invitation.

chronoswing
January 19th, 2006, 17:56
You can spoof it with the firefox useragent plugin and sign up without a psp altogether. Also there is no point in posting this link seeing as they are only sent to GAP members and only GAP members will be selected.

LC_killer
January 19th, 2006, 19:46
does this mean there will be online multi player like with socom, because you needed internet for that beta too.

YourStillWithMe
January 19th, 2006, 20:07
F-U-C-K Y-O-U Sony

Who would want to upgrade there psp anyway? None of the games coming out are any good. Syphon Filter sucked past the 2nd one so im not excited.

Now the ps1 Emu-that's friggin exciting

MZeroEW2
January 19th, 2006, 20:14
you know this is agenst the rules to post something like this, just to let you know SONY has been tiped of about this posting, GAP members should know better

Junior
January 19th, 2006, 23:21
What the hell is GAP anyway?

lilvietquoc
January 20th, 2006, 00:10
a clothes company...:Dlol
ya idk...
wat is it...?

MGFox
January 20th, 2006, 00:12
does this mean there will be online multi player like with socom, because you needed internet for that beta too.

Ad-Hoc WiFi maybe, Infrastructure mode is very unlikely. However, it is possible, I guess, but I wouldn't base that guess on this information. This will most likely be nothing more than a method to ensure they get as many people on 2.60 as they can!

The G.A.P. is the Gamer Advisory Panel, hand selected members of the Sony community forums, more information HERE! (http://www.us.playstation.com/Community.aspx)

I'm wondering why everyones soley focusing on the Beta side of it?...I'm more interested in whether the retail release will require 2.60 (which you can guarantee it will) and what other releases will require the same!

Cheers,
Fox

GameSharkGX
January 20th, 2006, 01:49
well then why not one of you with a 2.6 post a copy on megauploads

That way we will have a hack for the game as soon as it comes out

zackforbing
January 20th, 2006, 03:15
you know this is agenst the rules to post something like this, just to let you know SONY has been tiped of about this posting, GAP members should know better

WHAT rules? oh no, is sony gonna come sue me? don't suckle at The Man's teat, my friend! 'tis poison!

chronoswing
January 20th, 2006, 05:36
I don't think there is any rule against posting the link, I'm just saying its totally pointless unless you are a GAP member.

MGFox
January 20th, 2006, 10:22
I don't think the news was intended as a "Go grab the beta here" type article. Just look at the title, all it is doing is informing people about Sonys efforts to get people on 2.60...nothing more!

And, to clear up the legality issue, if a journalist gets leaked some Top Secret military information, they are perfectly entitled to publish that information as they have not signed an NDA, it is the wrong doing of the person who leaked the information in first place, and they are the only ones punishable! The same applies here!

Cheers,
Fox