PDA

View Full Version : Xwhiite-linux v0.2 - Linux for Nintendo Wii

wraggster
December 7th, 2008, 17:11
News via Nintendomax (http://www.nintendomax.com/index.php?topic_id=9136&format=news)

Bert Jan presents its new customized version of Linux whiite.
This version has a graphical interface and is provided with various applications such as a video player, web browser Firefox ...

News / additions to this version:
Quote:
- VNC server
- VNC client
- Microsoft remote desktop client
- IPod integration via gtkpod: wii use your iPod as jukebox +
- On-screen keyboard
- Swap enabled (32MB - uses a local swapfile included in the package, no need to setup an extra score)
- Sshfs support
- A bunch of other small improvements and cleanups. The entire dist should still fit on a 512MB SD card.

Download Here (http://www.ben64.com/debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1+xwhiite-0.2.tar.bz2.html) and Give Feedback Via Comments

wisinx
December 7th, 2008, 18:26
this is still for pal only??? and another question is wireless or usb lan only??

Warpedflash
December 7th, 2008, 19:01
this is still for pal only??? and another question is wireless or usb lan only??

its for both and its still lan only. it will be for a while.

iofthestorm
December 7th, 2008, 19:39
Hmm, well it won't be most useful until someone reverse engineers the wifi drivers but that could take quite a while. Still very cool, and I guess I need to get a bigger SD card.

Tyr
December 7th, 2008, 20:28
can you access usb devices with this?

Game King 1555
December 8th, 2008, 04:35
I would believe so... but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know

nr.56
December 8th, 2008, 07:20
can you access usb devices with this?

yes, you can! ;)
keyboard, mouse, harddisk, wlan (linux supported), this little distro is a really useful experiment! OpenGL would be nice!:D

iofthestorm
December 8th, 2008, 19:49
yes, you can! ;)
keyboard, mouse, harddisk, wlan (linux supported), this little distro is a really useful experiment! OpenGL would be nice!:D

Which wlan devices? I was under the assumption that most wlan devices wouldn't work since there weren't PPC drivers. Does it work because the source is available for those devices? That actually sounds pretty useful then, plug in a hub and kb, mouse, hd, wlan and you've got a tiny linux powered computer.

Tyr
December 8th, 2008, 23:56
I wonder if the player inside this linux distro handles H264 movies better than the current mplayer port for wii.

middle man
December 13th, 2008, 22:41
yes, you can! ;)

Can someone please tell me how to load from a usb drive. i have a video file on mine but can't work out how to access it. do i need to mount it first or anything, or should it just work??

also can you access the FAT part of the SD card???