PDA

View Full Version : EA founder questions PS Home goals

Shrygue
December 8th, 2008, 18:52
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=331626)

EA founder Trip Hawkins has questioned the goals of PlayStation Home - suggesting that going after a Second Life- or World of Warcraft-sized audience would be a bit silly and probably result in custard pie on face.

"What I can't reEA founder Trip Hawkins has questioned the goals of PlayStation Home - suggesting that going after a Second Life- or World of Warcraft-sized audience would be a bit silly and probably result in custard pie on face.

"What I can't really tell yet about the various announcements [Sony has] made about online and what they're doing so far, I can't tell whether they're going more towards this mass market idea - the way I'm describing this 'omni-market' - or if they're being lured into essentially trying to compete with Warcraft or Second Life," Trip Hawkins told Hatchet Job.

"My own personal opinion is: if Sony makes Home feel too much like a [World of] Warcraft environment, they're just never going to create the kind of audience size that you're going to see Nintendo and Microsoft create.

"Because clearly Nintendo is orientated towards the mass audience, and even Microsoft has learnt a lot of valuable lessons from things like Xbox Live Arcade," he added.

PlayStation Home, the online virtual world for PS3 owners, should launch into open beta before the end of the year. Hopefully that means quite soon.

It's been rather a long wait and Home's release date has been pushed back on numerous occasions.

Sony's still coy on exactly when the open beta will begin, but has invited hundreds of thousands of community members into the closed testing so far.

We'll keep you posted.ally tell yet about the various announcements [Sony has] made about online and what they're doing so far, I can't tell whether they're going more towards this mass market idea - the way I'm describing this 'omni-market' - or if they're being lured into essentially trying to compete with Warcraft or Second Life," Trip Hawkins told Hatchet Job.

"My own personal opinion is: if Sony makes Home feel too much like a [World of] Warcraft environment, they're just never going to create the kind of audience size that you're going to see Nintendo and Microsoft create.

"Because clearly Nintendo is orientated towards the mass audience, and even Microsoft has learnt a lot of valuable lessons from things like Xbox Live Arcade," he added.

PlayStation Home, the online virtual world for PS3 owners, should launch into open beta before the end of the year. Hopefully that means quite soon.

It's been rather a long wait and Home's release date has been pushed back on numerous occasions.

Sony's still coy on exactly when the open beta will begin, but has invited hundreds of thousands of community members into the closed testing so far.

We'll keep you posted.

Ultima Chocochu
December 9th, 2008, 20:36
Umm, wow the EA founder is an idiot
Why is he comparing Home to WoW and stuff?
Sony never said they're going for as many users as WoW, nor is Home even a game(despite games IN Home, Home itself isn't a game)

So I can't figure what he's ranting about, and why he thinks Sony is going to go for a WoW environment or what, he just sounds like a moron.

With a founder like this, no wonder the majority of their games were overly made and repetitive.

jonezybaby
December 9th, 2008, 20:45
.......need for speed...........

since most wanted i havent bothered, all the same, and yes the guy is an idiot!

mebe hes after pubicity?

Ultima Chocochu
December 9th, 2008, 23:22
NFS used to be great, but it just seems so stale since MW if you ask me.
Carbon was nice but, short.