PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo forgives the Great Giana Sisters?

wraggster
December 9th, 2008, 21:08
Released back in 1987 The Great Giana Sisters was one of the finest 2D platform games ever made, a cheeky rip-off of the Super Mario series, designed for the home computer market, where thinly veiled 'tributes' to classic titles had been a fixture for several years. But programmer Armin Gessert and publisher Rainbow Arts were probably not prepared for the censorious fury of Nintendo. The game was apparently ripped from the shelves in a legal challenge and never seen again. Well, apart from the many homebrew updates, sequels and conversions that have proliferated on a number of platforms.

Well now it turns out that Gessert is working on an official DS version with his current studio Spellbound. It's being published by dtp and is set for release next June. From the (shakily translated) press release:

"In more than 80 levels, players experience all the great features of the original home computer version, as well as new features, that are kept exclusive for Nintendo DS. Players will have the Nintendo DS microphone as well as the touchpad, for instance."

And the good news continues - the new version will feature a remixed version of the original soundtrack by chiptune legend, Chris Huelsbeck.

Of course, if you didn't own an Atari St or Amiga in the late-eighties, this isn't going to mean much to you. But if you did... did you ever see this happening?!

And while we're on the subject, which other trademark-infringing home computer classics would you like to see legitimately remade? I had a soft spot for Synsoft's decent Hunchback clone, Quasimodo, and of course, Archer Maclean's Defender-esque, Dropzone. I also spent many, many hours with Arcadians, a BBC Micro version of Galaxian. Any others?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/dec/09/gameculture-retro

XDelusion
December 10th, 2008, 18:25
The Atari ST was a joke, it did not make any headway until the TT and Falcon. on that Note Gianna Sisters sucked on it too, the screens did not even scroll!! :)

The Amiga version on the other hand was just as good as the C64 version, but with updated graphics and of course without the SID based sounds which I did miss.

As for a DS version, I am totally hyped, I was just wondering the other day why certain games are not around still to this day, and I was thinking they need a port of Gianna to the DS, not to mention System Shock 1, which again seems to have been designed to the DS since day one!!!

Sir_Voe
December 11th, 2008, 12:11
I used to have this Qbert clone for my C64 called "Slinky" where the usual player sprite was changed to a loose metal coil. Wouldn't mind playing that again, and it's kind of a double whammy in the sense I doubt they got permission from Qbert or Slinky trademark holders.

XDelusion
December 11th, 2008, 18:26
If only the C64 emu for the DS ran full speed...