PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray overtakes DVD in Japan

Shrygue
December 10th, 2008, 19:29
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/blu-ray-over-takes-dvd-in-japan)

Blu-ray players have overtaken the popularity of their DVD counterparts for the first time ever in Japan, during the first week of November, according to data collected by GfK Retail and Technology.

The region saw Blu-ray recorders occupy more than 50 per cent of the market share for DVD recorders, in terms of unit numbers, a significant increase from 10 per cent, recorded October 2007.

Gfk also reports that Blu-ray machines are replacing DVD recorders 1.5 times faster than the latter replaced VHS machines. DVD recorders exceeded 50 per cent after 82 weeks. In comparison, Blu-ray recorders achieved the same results in only 53 weeks.

kojiro7
December 10th, 2008, 23:09
Ok japanese build their technology and buy it,japanese are somewhat rich compared to other people,japanese buy original games and movies.We love our cheap dvd,we dont care for bluray yet

Darksaviour69
December 11th, 2008, 01:04
wow I can't believe blu ray is doing so well in Japan. I don't know anyone that has a Blu ray player or even a blur ray movie (via ps3)

DPyro
December 11th, 2008, 01:10
I have a PS3 and Blu-ray in my laptop. There, now you know someone who has both :) (and I have at least 3-4 Blu-ray movies - more to come after Christmas) :)

Darksaviour69
December 11th, 2008, 01:21
I don't know you, whoever you are......

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/HarryPotterGoblet3/MadEyeMoody_273x400.jpg

DPyro
December 11th, 2008, 01:37
Yes, your only the one who gave me my mod powers :D

sorceror
December 11th, 2008, 13:32
One factor, oddly enough, may be living space. Homes and even apartments in the U.S. (and Europe, too, from what I've seen) tend to be larger than in Japan - it's quite crowded there. This means that things like living rooms will be smaller. And so, people will be sitting closer to the TV.

We've got a 52-inch 1080p LCD, but our family room is around 20 feet long. If you sit in one of the chairs at the far end of the room, the difference between an upscaled DVD and a Blu-ray movie is essentially indistinguishable. Even on the couch at the halfway point, it can be hard to tell sometimes.

I wonder if people tending to be 'closer to the action' in Japan makes a difference? That they might actually get more benefit from HD than the typical American/European?