PDA

View Full Version : Uncharted 2 to use all the PS3's power

Shrygue
December 11th, 2008, 20:06
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=334673)

Naughty Dog has said Uncharted 2: Among Thieves will come close to using all of the PS3's power, after the first game used just "30 to 40 per cent".

That's according to the Game Informer reveal (read by a poster on the Gametrailers forum), which provides the first details and images of the sequel.

We're told to expect a brand new female lead in the shape of Chloe Frazer, who'll be played by Claudia Black from Stargate SG-1 and Farscape. She may use a rocket launcher, as suggested by cut-scene footage.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, revolves around Nathan Drake finding the lost ships of Marco Polo. Action adventure will still very much be the focus, and Naughty Dog has made significant improvements to combat.

Apparently melee will be more "dynamic", and Drake will be able to shoot while running, climbing and hanging, as well as simultaneously move and aim from behind cover.

Firefly composer Greg Edmonson will return to score the game, and Nolan North will once again provide the voice and movements for hero Nathan Drake.

Naughty Dog apparently refused to comment on whether original heroine Elena or grizzled friend Sully will make comebacks.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves will be unveiled properly on Sunday at the 2008 Video Game Awards. Expect more information to tumble out then.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was released at the end of 2007 and is one of the best games on PlayStation 3. It can be picked up as part of the PS3's budget Platinum range for around GBP 20.

turnerl
December 11th, 2008, 22:08
Uncharted Fortune best game I've ever played!!!!!!!!! FULLSTOP

ICE
December 12th, 2008, 00:15
How long did it take before the PS2's full power was actually being used? Not two years you say? It didnt even use a brand new style processor you say? Why it would seem as if Naughty Dog is pulling our leg here..

Eviltaco64
December 12th, 2008, 01:28
I hope they can back up their statement.

DPyro
December 12th, 2008, 02:41
Not likely.

ICE
December 12th, 2008, 03:43
I hope they can back up their statement.

They cant though. Its just not possible yet.

lmtlmt
December 12th, 2008, 04:19
notice in the article it says "come close to" which means anything from 50% upwards really

ICE
December 12th, 2008, 04:22
notice in the article it says "come close to" which means anything from 50% upwards really

That my friend is called a play on words.

Mc_Logical
December 12th, 2008, 04:53
Whys that hard to believe? just because it taken awhile to use ps2s full power, doesn't mean they can't on ps3, things progress... plus this is number 2 not 1, if they said it about the first one, then maybe hard to believe

Eviltaco64
December 12th, 2008, 05:14
I don't believe it will, but I could be wrong.
I remember hearing something about Naughty Dog developing a new dev kit that would fully utilize the PS3s power a few months ago.

DPyro
December 12th, 2008, 05:51
See the thing is, no dev can possibly know how much more the PS3 can take. Even God of War 3 which is said to run at 60FPS and 1080P won't even come close to the PS3's limits.

ICE
December 12th, 2008, 05:57
Yeah they're just talking out of their rear. Ps3 uses brand new tech so I imagine it will be quite some time before any game uses it's full power. Like sniper said it would be almost imposible to even estimate what ps3 is capable of.

jamotto
December 12th, 2008, 06:03
Who cares? Is the game any good is what I want to know.

lmtlmt
December 12th, 2008, 08:52
considering its not out yet.....yes the game is awesome

sorceror
December 12th, 2008, 14:58
Ps3 uses brand new tech so I imagine it will be quite some time before any game uses it's full power.

The PS2's architecture was pretty odd, and it took a while to find the right tricks to eke performance out of it. See here (PDF file): http://www.technology.scee.net/files/presentations/PSP/HowFarHaveWeGot.pdf

The PS3 is a bit closer to regular computer tech, so I'd believe that it would ramp up faster. But, there's a way that Naughty Dog could be telling the truth and the naysayers can be right.

The Cell has one main CPU and seven SPUs. Even when you have code for all the SPUs, they may stall just because the memory needed to keep them busy isn't available. If ND has a scheme that lets them keep all the SPUs doing something most of the time, then they could say they 'come close to using the full power of the PS3'.

However, just because the SPU is doing something doesn't mean it's doing something terribly useful. If all it's doing is keeping palm fronds wafting gently in the breeze or whatever, that's not as useful or entertaining as better enemy AI or more realistic physics. It's not just a matter of using power, it's what you use it for.