PDA

View Full Version : Flame on: PS3 a 'sinking ship' (PSP, too)

wraggster
December 13th, 2008, 11:17
How about this for a lead sentence: "Sony's PS3 is dying on the shelves." Silicon Alley Insider has spun NPD's November report into a death sentence for PlayStation 3 and its little buddy, pointing to an 18 percent drop in November sales of the console from 2007 to 2008 as proof that PS3 is "flopping." (Comparatively, Xbox 360 sales recorded a modest percentage gain and Wii sales more than doubled.) The cause? It's a three-way tie, according to the analysis:

The cost: PS3 is the most expensive console. Period. (But it ain't exactly cheap to piece together a comparable Xbox 360.)

The Blu-rays: Americans continue to buy DVDs (by May's count, at least). Things are starting to reverse ... in Japan.

The games: Silicon Alley Insider believes PS3 doesn't have "any" must-have exclusives. That's ridiculous. But it doesn't have many.
Conclusion: "Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy." Ooh! Dem's fightin words.

As for PSP? Same story. DS made Sony's handheld look amateur last month (final score: 1.57m to 421K -- guess who won?). PSP is too expensive, claims Silicon Alley Insider. It has super graphics that "no one cares about." And the games -- where are the new games?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/12/flame-on-ps3-a-sinking-ship-psp-too/

Stone Temple Pilots
December 13th, 2008, 23:19
I just bought a PS3 off ebay for $290 and it came with Dead Space. That's a very good deal for a console costing $399.99 (80GB) and $499.99 (160GB). You just have to take the time to look for a bargain.

As to the exclusive titles, I still consider MGS4 the best title across all 3 consoles, but that's just me. The (sorta) new Hot Shots Golf title is very good and was apart of the deciding factor to buy a PS3 along with MGS4 and Motorstorm. Resistance 2 is coming and that should help boost sales.

As to the PSP, to be honest, I haven't been looking into new titles for it. Now if they bring another Portable Ops or Crisis Core to it... hehehe. I hope Sony's sales really pick up and the PS3 and PSP come out swingin'.

I have been a frequent visitor to the Playstation Store though. I love that thing.

John Vattic
December 13th, 2008, 23:57
Not fair I still haven't got a chance to buy a ps3 yet (no money). I bought a Wii and gave it to my brother. I'm a playstation fan, and have been so since ps2 came out.

Please don't condemn it to failure before it's had a chance to prove it's importance in the contest.

Go Sony!

Ultima Chocochu
December 14th, 2008, 03:12
I love reading stuff like this because of how truly wrong it is.
More people have DVD players compared to Blu-Ray, so seeing that we obviously can assume the DVD will be ahead, that is so obvious it's stupid.

And the PS3 has MANY good exclusives, they're just very ignored
LBP is great
MGS4 is great
Uncharted is great, and overlooked
I could go on, point being

PS3 has really taken off this year, they've improved on older games like Resistance 2
They still have exclusives like Final Fantasy versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts 3 as well so, I just find it funny when people call a console a failure because it sold a little less.

jamotto
December 14th, 2008, 05:32
meh, talk is cheap.

pibs
December 14th, 2008, 09:55
meh, talk is cheap.

yeah but the ps3 sure aint, they should lower it to$300 so everyone can afford one.

@Ultima Chocochu: damn uncharted was way underated, i just got my gameinformer in the mail and it has part 2 in the cover :eek: im excited ^_^

cornervizion
December 14th, 2008, 17:17
The games: Silicon Alley Insider believes PS3 doesn't have "any" must-have exclusives. That's ridiculous. But it doesn't have many.
Conclusion: "Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy." Ooh! Dem's fightin words.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/12/flame-on-ps3-a-sinking-ship-psp-too/

Clearly a smug 360 fan who wrote this then... At least the PSP and PS3 don't have major manufacturing faults (red ring of death anyone?). Oh and the online is free out of the box, so no £40 a year debit-card alienating X-box live to worry about. And clearly the article writer has forgotten about these Sony-only exclusives as well.

God Of War, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Crisis Core, Motorstorm 2, Siren-Blood Curse, Super Stardust, MGS4, Loco Roco, WipEout HD, Echochrome, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turisimo, Star Ocean and FF Dissida. At least Sony offers a far better range of genres than the 360's usual range of generic 1st person shooters and generic space-marine style 3rd person shooters..

Just read Ultima's post just after posting this one. And he's mentioned more or less the same thing so I apologise. But once again the article is nothing more than a piece of 360-loving propaganda. Clearly If they love Bill Gates soooo much, then marry him and the writer and all the other 360 owners can have all the red-rings of death that they want....and more!

luciuswclavius
December 14th, 2008, 18:45
As a consumer still looking to get my first current gen home system, I've seen a lot of the things mentioned in the article above and it makes me very wary about spending my hard-earned money on PS3: a system that, despite it's superior technology, has a comparably short list of killer apps. I would like nothing more than for the industry leader of our gaming future to be the one with the best tech specs, but not at the expense of game selection, and when considering Sony's current system offerings, all appearances point to a future akin to that of the Gamecube.

I love my PSP, but at least half of my time with it, if not more, is spent with homebrew software. There are commercial games for PSP that I love, but that list is short when I compare it to the list of DS Games that I love to play. The PS3 is the same way. There are games that I can't wait to sink my teeth into, but holding out hope for the PS3's library to explode with fantastic games is like asking an Apple Store Employee to stop being pretentious. It might happen, but chances are that you're going to be disappointed when it doesn't. (My apologies to the twelve Apple Store Employees that aren't elitist Apple Fanboys. You didn't deserve that jab.)

Does this mean that the PS3 and PSP are systems to be avoided from now until the end of time? Hell no. Sony has the technically superior systems. But technology alone cannot carry a system (see also: IGN.com article Die, 16-bit, Die! (http://retro.ign.com/articles/936/936140p1.html)), and until they take some drastic measures to counter the observations made in the article above, Sony should expect gamers in my situation to spend with their heads and not with their hopes and dreams of a PS3 proliferated future.

mike_jmg
December 14th, 2008, 19:33
PS3 doesn't have must have exclusives, BTW I've always hated Metal Gear games just in case you were wondering

God of War 3 isn't going to be here anytime soon, Q4 next year maybe and is still a longshot

Tekken 6, fall 2009 and also available for 360, cmon!!

Killzone 2 someday will be released, maybe on 2010

When God of war 3 comes out, I'll buy a PS3, but at this rate It may be released for the Xbox 360 as well

PS2 is my favorite console of all time, psp is a close second because of homebrew, but the PS3 really made me lost my faith on $ony

DPyro
December 14th, 2008, 20:12
PS3 doesn't have must have exclusives, BTW I've always hated Metal Gear games just in case you were wondering

God of War 3 isn't going to be here anytime soon, Q4 next year maybe and is still a longshot

Tekken 6, fall 2009 and also available for 360, cmon!!

Killzone 2 someday will be released, maybe on 2010

When God of war 3 comes out, I'll buy a PS3, but at this rate It may be released for the Xbox 360 as well

PS2 is my favorite console of all time, psp is a close second because of homebrew, but the PS3 really made me lost my faith on $ony

Your post is completely moronic. God of War 3 will be out next year (and will never be on Xbox because it's developed by Sony) and Killzone 2's official release date is February 28th, 2009. Both are exclusive must have games.

jamotto
December 15th, 2008, 00:51
yeah but the ps3 sure aint, they should lower it to$300 so everyone can afford one.

I just picked one up a 80GB for $320 from Dell last month. There have been many outstanding deals on the PS3 over the last two months.

Stone Temple Pilots
December 15th, 2008, 04:52
You just have to dive a little deeper than the usual BestBuy/Circuit City/Wal-Mart/Rip-Off Mart (Oh I'm sorry, Gamestop) and you'll find a great deal for a PS3, be it used or not.

medinaba
December 15th, 2008, 06:16
As a consumer still looking to get my first current gen home system, I've seen a lot of the things mentioned in the article above and it makes me very wary about spending my hard-earned money on PS3: a system that, despite it's superior technology, has a comparably short list of killer apps. I would like nothing more than for the industry leader of our gaming future to be the one with the best tech specs, but not at the expense of game selection, and when considering Sony's current system offerings, all appearances point to a future akin to that of the Gamecube.

I love my PSP, but at least half of my time with it, if not more, is spent with homebrew software. There are commercial games for PSP that I love, but that list is short when I compare it to the list of DS Games that I love to play. The PS3 is the same way. There are games that I can't wait to sink my teeth into, but holding out hope for the PS3's library to explode with fantastic games is like asking an Apple Store Employee to stop being pretentious. It might happen, but chances are that you're going to be disappointed when it doesn't. (My apologies to the twelve Apple Store Employees that aren't elitist Apple Fanboys. You didn't deserve that jab.)

Does this mean that the PS3 and PSP are systems to be avoided from now until the end of time? Hell no. Sony has the technically superior systems. But technology alone cannot carry a system (see also: IGN.com article Die, 16-bit, Die! (http://retro.ign.com/articles/936/936140p1.html)), and until they take some drastic measures to counter the observations made in the article above, Sony should expect gamers in my situation to spend with their heads and not with their hopes and dreams of a PS3 proliferated future.

I have both systems. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have both, but if you want my opinion, you will get more use, and have less headaches if you go with the PS3.

The system is simply build better, the Xbox 360 is alot louder, and prone to give you give you problems. (ie the xbox if left standing will scratch you disk, give you RROD if its not properly ventilated.)

Alot of the games are cross platform, so you wont miss much if you go with the PS3. And I think its was mentioned already, but you would have to get upgrades to get the XBox 360 to its full potential. (ie, harddrive, xbox live)

If your a casual gamers, dont want to opt out for the a expensive system, then definitely go with the xbox 360.

But if your in the market for an all-in-one system, go with the PS3. The blueray player, and the free PSN network are big pluses and will save you money in the long run.

pibs
December 15th, 2008, 18:43
And clearly the article writer has forgotten about these Sony-only exclusives as well.

God Of War, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Crisis Core, Motorstorm 2, Siren-Blood Curse, Super Stardust, MGS4, Loco Roco, WipEout HD, Echochrome, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turisimo, Star Ocean and FF Dissida. At least Sony offers a far better range of genres than the 360's usual range of generic 1st person shooters and generic space-marine style 3rd person shooters..

sorry to burst ur bubble dude but from what ive heard star ocean is only debuting on the 360.
if you like loco roco i would recommend jelly car ;)
qwbtkUwSufw
@luciuswclavius: just go with your gut, give all 3 systems a try at your local retailer or talk to your friends who share your same interest in gaming.

cornervizion
December 15th, 2008, 20:17
I was reffering to the PSP Star Ocean, Jelly car has also been ported (Unofficially) to the PSP as well. And hearing the video it's already getting on my wick! But at one point I was very tempted to buy a 360 on release but hearing so many negative stories regarding it's reliability I decided to go PS3 instead. As I said before Free online, no RROD and a Blu-Ray disc player a far better media storage unit, than DVD for the current generation of games. Oh I Rather that than the "dead-duck" that was HD-DVD. I mean who watches a "Dead-Duck"? Not even it's mother it just flies away depressed.

Re PSP exclusives : Forgot one more title coming to PSP only next year...... Choainiki, let's hope the UK sees this one (providing it's been a hit on Wii's virtual console service)