PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: World Fails at Buying It

wraggster
December 18th, 2008, 18:30
Or the United States does, at least. Arguably due to a lack of minigames, GameDaily noted that Call of Duty: World at War sold miserably on the Wii (and DS). The latest NPD numbers saw the Xbox 360 (1.41 million units) and PS3 (597,000) versions in second and sixth place respectively, but the Wii iteration was nowhere to be found -- something you guys also picked up on.

In fact, the Wii game lagged embarrassingly far behind its high-definition cousins: according to GameDaily, the PS2, PC, DS and Wii editions sold around 200,000 units combined. This makes us genuinely fear for games like The Conduit. Call of Duty is pretty much the biggest name in the console shooter business, so if that can't shift copies on Wii, what chance a brand-new IP?

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/12/18/call-of-duty-world-fails-at-buying-it/

RevVS
December 18th, 2008, 19:18
Ummm...maybe Wii CoD 3 is to blame?

I bought that when the Wii first came out. A blurry-rezzed motion insensitive P.O.S. that made me resell it and fast. I like CoD but haven't even looked at this new one because the last one was such a piece of poorly-afterthought shovelware.

Hevyduty
December 18th, 2008, 20:28
Dumb. The reason World at War struggles on Wii is because it's a multi-system release and everyone knows the definitive version of the game is on the HD consoles. It's the same reason Madden struggles comparatively on the Wii.

People act like each system exists in its own bubble. The fact is, a lot of people own multiple system. If they own multiple systems, chances are one is a Wii.

So obviously, if a game like Call of Duty comes out on all three systems, they're going to buy the definitive version (i.e., the HD console version).

None of that applies to The Conduit. It's an exclusive. Anyone who wants to play it has to get it for Wii. I don't know how well it will do, but it's not apt to compare it to Call of Duty. The circumstances are completely different.

WhizzBang
December 18th, 2008, 20:51
Maybe Wii console owners are not so interested in games where you are a man running around with a gun (which is what about 50% of XBox 360 games are).

grossaffe
December 19th, 2008, 06:42
A huge percentage of the population of Wii owners are also PS3/360 owners. They will buy the game on the high-def systems.

pibs
December 19th, 2008, 07:43
Yeah but thats not that valid of an excuse for the shovelware. For example the new madden was re-made to fit the wii standards and the ps3/360 games were nearly identical in their HD glory . I understand they cannot do this for a game trying to be "realistic" on a wii but they could at least make it playable by fixing the bugs and motion controls. It simply is just not appealing.

KristenBaldousor
December 19th, 2008, 15:29
Dumb. The reason World at War struggles on Wii is because it's a multi-system release and everyone knows the definitive version of the game is on the HD consoles. It's the same reason Madden struggles comparatively on the Wii.

People act like each system exists in its own bubble. The fact is, a lot of people own multiple system. If they own multiple systems, chances are one is a Wii.

So obviously, if a game like Call of Duty comes out on all three systems, they're going to buy the definitive version (i.e., the HD console version).

None of that applies to The Conduit. It's an exclusive. Anyone who wants to play it has to get it for Wii. I don't know how well it will do, but it's not apt to compare it to Call of Duty. The circumstances are completely different.

You should try it, at least rent it. Its a pretty awesome game, and online is even more awesome!!!

I choosed the Wii version over the PS3 cuz i consider gameplay is way more important than eye candy and physics.

RevVS
December 19th, 2008, 16:22
A huge percentage of the population of Wii owners are also PS3/360 owners. They will buy the game on the high-def systems.

True enough for those who do have 2+ systems. The Wii is my only current gen console system so if I did want it, I wouldn't likely be spending another $200 extra to play that one either.

But also how many people (outside of people who read game forums), actually own multiple systems?

http://play.tm/wire/click/1824721/ (http://play.tm/wire/click/1824721/)

It may be closer to 2-3% overall and I'm willing to bet they also went with a 360, far better known for FPS.

Still doesn't excuse making shovelware and then being upset when people don't trust you to buy from them again. They are killing their own Wii market potential by doing so.

Flamemonkey
January 11th, 2009, 17:00
You know, I find this funny, because personally I FAR prefer the Wii version of CoD WaW. Mostly because the controls are just so perfect for me. Yeah, it takes a little getting used to, but it's not like it's harder *hell, it's a lot easier than* getting adjusted to Gamepad/Mousekeyboard from switching around.

On the Wii, I was actually pretty good in online play, whereas not only was I bad on the 360, but simply controlling the character on the 360 was boring. I never thought that the Wii would be that much more fun to control on, but it was.

The graphics really aren't all that bad, either. -_- Screw HD.