PDA

View Full Version : Reeves: "You don’t grow the market by putting out shoddy machines"

wraggster
December 19th, 2008, 23:40
SCEE president David Reeves had some interesting words when asked about Sony's future plans on growing their global marketplace.

In an interview with Mcvuk.com, Reeves put some of Sony's market growth strategies down on the table. Besides expanding into Russia, the Middle East, and South America, they're also looking into newer demographics and increasing their software tie ratio. At the end, Reeves threw in a juicy nugget about Sony's continued stance on manufacturing quality hardware.

We also grow the market through new products – some work, some don’t, that’s just the Sony way. And on that point, another thing we have committed to for supporting market growth is putting out quality hardware – you don’t grow the market by putting out shoddy machines. So we try to make sure that PS3s have a failure rate of just two to three per cent, which is very low by industry standards.

The Xbox 360 has proven, to an extent, that hardware quality doesn't matter in the end. Price does, ultimately. What say you, Would you rather spend $100-$200 less on a PS3 if it increased the chances of your system breaking?

http://kotaku.com/5114358/reeves-you-dont-grow-the-market-by-putting-out-shoddy-machines

WhizzBang
December 20th, 2008, 08:05
I had a PS1 and a PS2 and then bought a XBox 360 for this generation. It wasn't just that the 360 that was cheaper that made me buy it and I did not know it would be such a poor build.

I bought it because I fancied a change and with the 360 I would be able to try out some of those original XBox games I missed out on as well as try some new things.

The PS3 seemed expensive and BLU is a feature that I didn't care for. Also after 2 PS consoles, the main game lines were seeming a bit over familiar.

Looking back now, if I could make the decision again I would go for the PS3 as the shoddy nature of the 360 hardware does annoy me (stupidly noisy, dvd tray gets stuck, ridiculously over priced hard drives, occasional freezes, red ring warnings, expensive Wifi add on thing, controller poor quality dpad and one broken analogue stick ) but people have told me that the newer XBox 360s are much better build quality and quieter than the ones from a year ago.

Spanishpeacock
December 20th, 2008, 19:41
I have both a PS3 and a Xbox 360. I prefer my PS3 when games that are for multiple platforms come out. Not just because it's a controller I'm familiar with, but because I paid more for it. I've had my 360 a few years now, and now I'm paranoid about the thing giving out on me. I just want the thing to last through Fable 2 so I can sell it to a Gamestop or on Ebay.