PDA

View Full Version : Fave album of the year?

beetroot bertie
December 21st, 2008, 22:06
For me it's got to be "Strength in Numbers" by The Music. I find myself listening to it an awful lot.

iGPKURmnE64

Darksaviour69
December 21st, 2008, 23:06
I was going to say daft punk Alive, but that was released last year... time flies

Feed the Animals by Girl Talk (free download)
It have a great remix of soldier boy and jail break by thin Lizzy

jamotto
December 22nd, 2008, 05:38
Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses

ninja9393
December 22nd, 2008, 06:39
Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses

That able sucks horribly, I love GnR but that is horrible

The Red Album - Weezer

souLLy
December 22nd, 2008, 07:18
Sigur Ros, One Day as a Lion or Kings of Leon
All were pretty awesome

eJuDE8heHRI

WpM-3ezUdfk

wEITSbuRpaQ

DarthPaul
December 22nd, 2008, 08:37
Death Magnetic - Metallica
Shogun - Trivium

dejkirkby
December 22nd, 2008, 09:21
Either Foxboro Hot Tubs "Stop Drop and Roll"
Kanye West "808's and Heartbreak"
or Coldplay "Viva la Vida or Death and All his friends."

Triv1um
December 22nd, 2008, 14:10
Scars on Broadway - Scars on Broadway

Good album. This year has been trash for albums. My two favorite bands have done shit this year (Metallica and Trivium)

Hopefully next year will be better for music.

Accordion
December 22nd, 2008, 14:51
hmm lets see…

Conor Oberst [Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band]

oYewptydkvE
bp0Fl4LIgDI

ALthough these are great also:

ICO Remix album
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?txmzrwonmmn

and
Loveplex - Takahiro Kato
from here
16 Dimensional Records (http://www.yarhalla.jpn.org/yarhalla/16d/index_e.html)

All free!!

fg-54
December 22nd, 2008, 17:45
best of all time:

ceMJq2XD-_g

c3upr_gzrtg

mike_jmg
December 22nd, 2008, 18:17
Reflexion - Dead To The Past, Blind For Tomorrow

First song
mRA9dMJ9D1k

jamotto
December 22nd, 2008, 19:06
That able sucks horribly, I love GnR but that is horrible

Even though they break the GnR "sound" it is a good thing! The band is much better off and this album shows it. This is GnR at their best.

ninja9393
December 22nd, 2008, 21:57
Even though they break the GnR "sound" it is a good thing! The band is much better off and this album shows it. This is GnR at their best.
Really?

All it is, is Axel and some retards off the street playing, where the hell is Slash (I know he is in velvet revolver)

My point is that it isn't GnR, its just Axel & Friends, and it sucks compared to any of there other albums

DarthPaul
December 23rd, 2008, 23:13
My two favorite bands have done shit this year (Metallica and Trivium).

Those are my favorite bands too, and....

Shame on you!(for not liking the albums) :mad:

Triv1um
December 24th, 2008, 02:48
Those are my favorite bands too, and....

Shame on you!(for not liking the albums) :mad:

They are crap.

I'm a old school Trivium fan (ETI days) and I like the old Metallica albums (... And Justice for All, ftw?).

I watched Trivium when they werent really big, and it owned. I watched them recently and laughed.

Never seen Metallica, seeing them in march.

beetroot bertie
December 24th, 2008, 12:39
I didn't think 'Shogun' was too shabby - decent enough, but I prefer 'Ascendency'. Not heard 'Death Magnetic'. Is it really that bad? Personal fave would be '...Puppets' if that helps as a reference but I also really like the Black one too.

LilSwish722
December 24th, 2008, 18:08
Best album of the year...When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That S**t Gold - Atmosphere. or Untitled by NaS

TacticalBread
December 29th, 2008, 04:28
I don't think any band I like put a good album out this year.

The Offspring's new album is alright.

so that's my album of the year.

souLLy
December 31st, 2008, 01:39
Metallica's CD was alright but the mastering is so bad on it it's virtually unlistenable- it literally sounds like a 64kbps MP3 to me

No_one_in_particular
January 26th, 2009, 06:10
For me it's got to be "Strength in Numbers" by The Music. I find myself listening to it an awful lot.

iGPKURmnE64
YES. The Music are bloody brilliant, and they were exactly who I was thinking of when opening the thread. A pleasant surprise giving how criminally underrated they are.

The Left Side, Drugs and No Danger (hidden instrumental) are my favourites. It's a lot more dance-influenced when compared to their earlier work, don't you think?

Glasvegas' self-titled would probably be my runner-up, but I realise they're not everyone's cuppa.

dejkirkby
January 26th, 2009, 08:41
I like The Music's debut album, but felt it was too late to the party, and had been done before by other bands. I've not heard much of the newer stuff though.
Glasvegas are still extraordinarily underrated, even after Daddy's Gone which is a shame.

No_one_in_particular
January 26th, 2009, 18:45
I absolutely adore their debut! Their best record and one of the best debuts I've ever heard, for that matter.

They're a bit similiar to Led Zeppelin, true, but I don't mind semi-derivative sounds (music is bound to repeat itself, it's inevitable; even the Beatles occasionally ripped-off) as long as I feel they're offering something worth listening to - something that retains the brilliance of their influences, and not just a lifeless rip-off. I'd say The Music are firmly in the former, and with the addition of dance-influences, I think they've moved even further into a distinctive individual sound.

If you're interested in hearing anything new, you could do a lot worse than The Left Side (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=doxRnv_6Ips), my favourite track from their latest release, Strength in Numbers.

As for Glasvegas' underrated-ness, I'd agree. I think it's because their music tends to have an undercurrent of pure melancholy that will never really get them a mainstream audience, as people tuning into Radio 1 just want convincing life's just brilliant with another throw-away track by the latest Arctic Monkeys sound-alike.

beetroot bertie
January 26th, 2009, 19:23
Re: The Music. I think having such a distinctive vocalist is also a bonus. There's something about his voice that grabs me. I agree the dance embelishments add depth to the sound but I think at the core of it they just write some damn good tunes that stick in yer head. I particularly loved Getaway from their 1st album, but their last one was class.

dejkirkby
January 26th, 2009, 20:34
My favourite from the first album is Take The Long Road and Walk it.

As for Glasvegas' underrated-ness, I'd agree. I think it's because their music tends to have an undercurrent of pure melancholy that will never really get them a mainstream audience, as people tuning into Radio 1 just want convincing life's just brilliant with another throw-away track by the latest Arctic Monkeys sound-alike.

Glasvegas seem to be in the same boat as another of my favourite "bands", Unkle. They both had a big hit, seemed to be destined to be huge, only to go back to being unknown. What really bugs me is that the biggest hits are not even the best tracks by each band.

gdf
February 6th, 2009, 19:02
Old thread, but I'll bump for my opinion.

Falling Off the Lavender Bridge by Lightspeed Champion was my album of 2008, closely followed by Late of the Pier, Vampire Weekend, Bloc Party, The Cool Kids, MGMT, Justice, Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip, Foals, Panic At the Disco, ****ed Up, Enslaved, and a few more.

Hard Core Rikki
February 6th, 2009, 20:29
Keiko Matsui's jazz collection isnt any bad. Nice for salon ambiance, and pretty upbeat as well.