PDA

View Full Version : First Blu-ray DVD Hybrid Disc Launching

Shrygue
December 23rd, 2008, 00:29
via Gizmodo UK (http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/12/22/first_bluray_dvd_hybrid_disc_l.html)

The Japanese are set to get the world's first Blu-ray DVD hybrid disc movies in the New Year, allowing people to play their movies in both Blu-ray and regular DVD players.

The disc comprises a blue laser top layer (25GB), underneath which are 2 DVD layers (8.5GB). They are separated by a semi-reflective film that reflects blue light but lets the red light lasers of DVD players to pass through.

The disc has been created by Infiniti Storage Media and uses the hybrid disc technology created a few years ago by JVC.

The first Hybrid BD/DVD disc will be a Code Blue boxset, comprising 4 hybrid discs. We have some issues with the hybrid disc though.

The companies involved say that it will help the transition from DVD to Blu-ray. That's fair enough but, one of the key stumbling blocks to Blu-ray uptake is the high cost of dedicated Blu-ray players and the shockingly expensive Blu-ray movies.

So, how is a hybrid boxset costing - wait for it - £273, going to save cash-strapped consumers money? Hell, that price [£68 per disc] makes Blu-ray movies look like a bargain.

Also, if Blu-ray succeeds this format becomes redundant because we'll all have Blu-ray players. And, If Blu-ray fails and online HD downloads win, this format becomes redundant.

Your thoughts?

guymelef
December 23rd, 2008, 07:21
I like the Blue Ray format as a storage medium.

These things are not always going to cost so much.
Right now the only thing keeping me away from a blue ray burner is the price and scarcity of the blank media.
At 25gigs a disc I do like the addition to my storage portfolio.
Hard drives fail, flash memory doesn't like too much abuse and is prohibitively expensive for one time usage. Discs always get scratched but under ideal conditions they can last a lifetime. Online storage is the wave of the future, but security and fallibility are still an issue. These four things need to be taken into consideration when thinking about long term storage of digital information. You don't need to save everything, but after seeing my family photos annihilated by a can of coke I am unwilling to put my data at risk.

Christuserloeser
December 23rd, 2008, 10:02
2-in-1... That's a good idea, considering that I can take my movies to friends that don't own either a BR or DVD player.