PDA

View Full Version : Light guns and widescreen TVs

Gryzor
January 25th, 2006, 12:33
Hello everyone,

After moving I tried to replay House of the Dead with my light gun, a game that I had abandonded quite a while ago. The reason is, it seems it's impossible to calibrate the gun with my 16:9 Sony TV. Is this the same with all widescreen TVs? The same gun works flawlessly with my 4:3 Sony... any ideas?

Gr

beetroot bertie
January 25th, 2006, 13:45
Are we talking about 2 different tellies or 1 TV in 4:3 and 16:9 modes?

If it's 2 different TV's then it may be the screen refreshment rate that is causing the problem as I don't think the guns work with tellies that refresh at 100Hz (a lot of the bigger ones I think). The smaller ones seem to be 50 or 60Hz.

I think it's just that the gun isn't made to keep up with the rate of refreshment at 100Hz so it doesn't know what's going on.

Gryzor
January 25th, 2006, 14:29
Hello, thanks if I wasn't clear enough. It's 2 different TV sets, although I have tried my big 16:9 one in all modes (wide, 4:3, adjusted...). BUT, indeed the small one is 50Hz and the large one is 100Hz. So we're out of lucj with newer TVs? Even in the hayday of DC 100Hz were not so uncommon - is it really possible? My gun is not the Sega one - I forget which one is it, but can anyone comment on this?

Thanks!
Th

PS I'll have to try it on my Amstrad CPC monitor + modulator :D

Gryzor
January 27th, 2006, 07:44
Good morning everyone,

I verified it with a Sony TV technician; the moment I mentioned the gun and my widescreen TV he said "100Hz".

Now, I googled around a bit and saw that there are 100Hz-compatible guns. Is there a solution for DC? How does the original Sega gun fare? Anyone have an idea?

Cheers
Gryzor

Darksaviour69
January 27th, 2006, 13:31
i think that 100Hz-compatible guns have only just come out in the last year or 2....

zerohour
January 27th, 2006, 23:45
Probably get crucified for saying this but could the G-CON for the old Playstation be converted as I believe it can work on 100Hz TVs. (dont' quote me on that) :p

Gryzor
January 28th, 2006, 05:46
So they came with obsolescence built in... that's so very bad! And it's strange, because even back in 2000 100Hz TVs were not uncommon and it was obvious they were going to be the norm in the future! Aw rats!

Cheers
Gryzor

PS What's G-Con?

zerohour
January 28th, 2006, 21:43
The G-Con 45 is the Light Gun used on PS and PS2 games.