PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Will Be 3D Ready In 2009?

wraggster
December 23rd, 2008, 12:13
Are you ready for 3D? Sony certainly is. According to one CEO, the Playstation 3 will be ready to display in 3D starting sometime in the New Year.

Neil Schneider, President and CEO of Meant to be Seen, the "world's first and only stereoscopic 3D certification and advocacy group," was told by Blitz Games Studios, the company creating and licensing the 3D engine, that Sony "fully intends" on using stereoscopic 3D for their games and blu-ray movies starting in 2009.

“The best part is console support will only need a bios upgrade to work,” Schneider writes. “We are told that the ability to add this capability via bios may be unique to Sony PS3 versus the other console solutions.”

I've been seeing a lot of 3D stuff creep up as of late, particularly in movies. When did this happen? Is anyone really excited by having to wear glasses when you watch anything on TV?

My only question is: When is 4D coming?

http://kotaku.com/5115781/playstation-3-will-be-3d-ready-in-2009

fg-54
December 23rd, 2008, 17:23
to answer the question "when is 4D coming?" it is already in games, the fourth dimension is time, and no game can be played unless time is progressing, a game without 4D would stay still frozen in time, you would not be able to move your character or anything because motion takes time :3 as for the 3D in the PlayStation 3, i hope they do it right, i don't want to be wearing those blue and red glasses, the 3D is very hard to experience on a tv rather then on a movie theater.

ICE
December 23rd, 2008, 17:55
to answer the question "when is 4D coming?" it is already in games, the fourth dimension is time, and no game can be played unless time is progressing, a game without 4D would stay still frozen in time, you would not be able to move your character or anything because motion takes time :3 as for the 3D in the PlayStation 3, i hope they do it right, i don't want to be wearing those blue and red glasses, the 3D is very hard to experience on a tv rather then on a movie theater.

The majority of games have been in 3d since mario 64. 3d in games just means they added the illusion of depth however 3d in these terms means the depth will be greatly exaggerated. The picture will come right out of your TV. Same word, different meaning. Games like Animal Crossing and GTA have certainly introduced the 4th dimension of time already.

Anywho I think it makes more since to put the glasses on the tv instead.

Mc_Logical
December 23rd, 2008, 19:08
3D glasses don't work 4me anyway, i have a lazy eye (left one) and my right eye does all the focusing, both eyes blurred but left worse and i have to have glasses/contacts, but yeah! 3D glasses don't work 4me, as i only see one colour through the 3D glasses lol but nowadays why would we need 3D glasses? isn't there them tv`s that project 3D without glasses? interesting read (for ps3) but the 3D glasses part is a bit morbid? "exaggeration"

mcdougall57
December 23rd, 2008, 20:31
Anyone who wants to watch a 3D film should just go to an IMAX, the films and documentaries there look absolutely brilliant because the 3D includes your peripheral vision as well, instead of a box in your line of sight so the 3D cuts off, ruining the effect.

fg-54
December 24th, 2008, 03:42
The majority of games have been in 3d since mario 64. 3d in games just means they added the illusion of depth however 3d in these terms means the depth will be greatly exaggerated. The picture will come right out of your TV. Same word, different meaning. Games like Animal Crossing and GTA have certainly introduced the 4th dimension of time already.

Anywho I think it makes more since to put the glasses on the tv instead.

ya, i completely agree with the glasses on the tv thing, don't like the way 3D things tend to look all blue and red :P makes it harder to see the real color of things. oh, and as i referred to 3D on the ps3 i WAS referring to the type of 3D that comes out of the tv ;)

ICE
December 24th, 2008, 04:48
All semantics.

JLF65
December 24th, 2008, 06:33
Has anyone else here played ioquake3 set for anaglyphic (red/blue) 3D rendering? It's REALLY AWESOME! If Sony has some way of adding this into the PS3 OS so that all games automatically have this ability, that would be REALLY awesome!! :D

If you don't think so, go get ioquake3 and try it.

jamotto
December 24th, 2008, 06:42
Has anyone else here played ioquake3 set for anaglyphic (red/blue) 3D rendering?

I have played Quake 1 like that... all it did was give me a headache.

JLF65
December 25th, 2008, 08:39
I have played Quake 1 like that... all it did was give me a headache.

It's gotten better since then, but this will always be a problem to a certain percentage of people. Probably more of an issue is the affect on people prone to vertigo... if you think 3D was nauseating before, wait until you see it in "real" 3D. :D

Triv1um
December 25th, 2008, 12:32
It would be nice to see all the XMB icons jumping out the screen, and some trippy 3D music equalizer things.