PDA

View Full Version : Caelestic project coming to PSP

TurkeyMan
January 26th, 2006, 00:48
I just wanted to let the home brew community know about a game i've been working on for the past little while.
We call it Caelestis, and its coming together slowly but surely.
Its not yet at a stage where i'm happy to release a binary or source openly, but i'll show some screenshots for the moment just to let people know the project exists.

For the record, I'm desperately searching for more talented artists to help make this game look and feel very professional. What you see is average coder art which i'd like to replace with real artists work at some point :)

I attach screenshots running on PSP and on PC.

wraggster
January 26th, 2006, 02:15
those are some impressive graphics :)

PSPdemon
January 26th, 2006, 02:30
that is true wraggster.... what i would like to know is if i can help him with being one of his artist :D

if hes looking for a photoshoper that would be me...

i can do some other stuff too..but i am much better in photoshop lol.....pm me if you are interested

ap0calypse
January 26th, 2006, 02:37
This project looks extremley promising... great work so far!

I think with a graphic overhaul this will rival any retail game out there and it's all hombrew baby!

ayhoung
January 26th, 2006, 02:41
great details, i like the smoke and the birds ^^

califrag
January 26th, 2006, 04:02
beautiful screenshots. those graphics are superb! If you need any photoshop help just private message me! I'd love to lend a hand wherever I can!

TurkeyMan
January 26th, 2006, 04:18
hey guys, thanks for the comments!

I dont know about photoshop in particular, I need 3d modelers, animators and texture artists. Although i do also need to find someone with good web design skills to help setup and manage a website. I work a full time, and i dedicate as much free time to this project as i can, but i dont have time to do a website and all that stuff aswell.

As for the game, I'm at a stage now where I want to start getting some decent content into the game. That means finding (and impressing) some talented artists. And i figure the best way to do that is to release a nice polished demo, so thats what i'm working up to. It will be nothing big, just a small, playable taste of where I want to go with this project. That is the point where i will release to everyone :)

If i can eventually assemble a small team of talented motivated individuals, hopefully i can make this into a successful homebrew project that people may enjoy and really show what homebrew is capable of :)

Oh, i also noticed i made a typo in the name of the thread, the project is caled 'Caelestis', not 'Caelestic' :P

b8a
January 26th, 2006, 04:28
Looks like some good work, TurkeyMan! I love seeing these homebrew games.

Given the state of progress with the graphics and graphic engine so far, I'd assume that you have a fairly concrete story worked out at this point. Can you post a rundown of the gist of the story so potential artists know if they'd fit the project? It'd be helpful if you could give just a few details like setting, time period, or any other thoughts you have behind the details that might set the mood for the game. Are we looking at a final fantasy type world, phantasy star, zelda, or even more of a traditional dungeons and dragons feel?

Keep up the good work!

p4ch3c0
January 26th, 2006, 04:50
That is simply beautiful.

pepsolman
January 26th, 2006, 04:56
hey guys, thanks for the comments!

I dont know about photoshop in particular, I need 3d modelers, animators and texture artists. Although i do also need to find someone with good web design skills to help setup and manage a website. I work a full time, and i dedicate as much free time to this project as i can, but i dont have time to do a website and all that stuff aswell.

As for the game, I'm at a stage now where I want to start getting some decent content into the game. That means finding (and impressing) some talented artists. And i figure the best way to do that is to release a nice polished demo, so thats what i'm working up to. It will be nothing big, just a small, playable taste of where I want to go with this project. That is the point where i will release to everyone :)

If i can eventually assemble a small team of talented motivated individuals, hopefully i can make this into a successful homebrew project that people may enjoy and really show what homebrew is capable of :)

Oh, i also noticed i made a typo in the name of the thread, the project is caled 'Caelestis', not 'Caelestic' :P

I have some experience with 3ds max studio, nendo. Get a hold of me at [email protected] if you want some pics of some work I have done.

later

romz.rr
January 26th, 2006, 06:57
I just wanted to let the home brew community know about a game i've been working on for the past little while.
We call it Caelestis, and its coming together slowly but surely.
Its not yet at a stage where i'm happy to release a binary or source openly, but i'll show some screenshots for the moment just to let people know the project exists.

For the record, I'm desperately searching for more talented artists to help make this game look and feel very professional. What you see is average coder art which i'd like to replace with real artists work at some point :)

I attach screenshots running on PSP and on PC.

yo if you need help contact me ASAP... [email protected]

kurosaki
January 26th, 2006, 07:35
This look awesome and promising! keep working cos im looking forward to it! Three cheerssssss to turkeyman :)

RadiumZ
January 26th, 2006, 10:12
My name is RadiumZ and I run a site with a forum, and for 9 years now I have been creating music and films, and have a shit ton of media, If you need music for your game, hit up my site to hear some music.

www.radiumz.com
e!
I can also write any soundtrack you need.

good luck.

Shiaoran
January 26th, 2006, 15:04
Turkeyman, I suggest you to look for people on game forums, those games like The Sims and Star Wars KOTOR, where people really like to design new things...
Hope you find a great team and make this one of the best PSP games ;)
(please, don't accept if someone try to buy it for commercial, just let Sony be jealous ^^)

happip
January 26th, 2006, 17:04
Hi! Your project looks really good
can help you with 2d portraits/ concept art for the characters if you want : D here are some of my works (only 2d, sorry)
my msn/e-mail is [email protected]

pic1-undine (http://www.rpg-box.net/pixelame/dibus/D02.jpg)
pic2- sketchy (http://www.rpg-box.net/pixelame/dibus/B03.jpg)

I can do pixel art sprites as well ( like item icons and that stuff : D)

MaxSMoke
January 26th, 2006, 17:45
I have about 500+ 200-Polygon or less models you could use. These range from animals and household objects, to monsters and vehicles. What kind of format do you need them in? These are static models, but some could be animated. They are all in 3D Studio, so I can export to any format supported by 3D Studio, or a 3D Studio Plugin.

I could also make some original models, if time allows.

jman420
January 26th, 2006, 21:44
hey! your game looks awesome! i would love to help you with modeling or textures, i mostly work in GMax, the free version of 3dStudio Max, but i dont know if you could port animations or 3d models into your program or if there is any wat i could help with textures, or if you use a 3rd party cad program to create the 3d models i could help with that, just because i cant program in 3d. . . . just pm me, i would be happy to help any way i could . . .

Jman420

jman420
January 26th, 2006, 21:49
I'm sorry this wasnt supposed to be posted, i didnt hit the back button fast enough . . . .

jman420
January 26th, 2006, 21:51
as well as, i have been very into music from the best of the best RPG video games, from Y's the vannished omens (the greatest music on a video game ever) to final fantasy mystic quest, to super mario RPG, so if you need some MP3 files, or MIDI if psp can play them, I think i have created some very good music that would be very well associated with RPG games, so I think I can definitly help you out from that point of view, please PM me, if interested. . and I dont accualy have a job currently so i check the forums a lot, thanks....

ThePoet
January 26th, 2006, 22:09
What was that screenshot taken from, a psp?

Oni
January 27th, 2006, 21:02
This migth be a bit of a dumb question, but what kind of gameplay is this based on??
Are we talking something with a Final Fantasy combat system, or do u just run around and kill, or do kill at all:P
Would be nice to know, cos the grafik is brilliant and just hope the gameplay is so:P

ONI

jman420
January 27th, 2006, 21:35
well ya know, RPG's are RPG's what does it mater how the fighting system works? a active time battle system would take months to perfectly program, i would be happy with no battle system, or somthing like runescape, where you just start attacking and when the enemy is dead, you get xp. . . . or a battle system like Y's where you just hit the enemy on the corner / side to hurt them . . . .

and by the way, lucky you! 2.5 firmware got a eboot loader :p

TurkeyMan
January 28th, 2006, 01:34
Hey again everyone.
I want to thank everyone again for all the interest in my project :)
Its way more than i expected, i've had so many PM's i cant reply to them all.

To answer some of the common questions:

1) It will be done when its done.. I want the demo to be nicely polished, and should be a reasonable representation of what a future game might be like. Dont expect anything any time real soon, but maybe in the next couple of months i might have something to show. Remember i work full time and i dont have as much time to dedicate to my home projects as i'd like. We've all gotta pay the bills huh :)

2) I draw my basic inspiration from Sqare's classic Secret of Mana. I'm not trying to clone the game, but i am modeling the basic gameplay elements from it. The fighting will be similar, and the experience/leveling system will be similar. I plan to expand on it a fair bit tho, there were plenty of things wrong with secret of mana ;)

3) For the keen eyed, that 'psp' screenshot is infact running on a PC (in which i've written a PSP emulation mode). The reason for this is because i dont have a debugger on the PSP, and working on the PC makes it WAY faster and easier to develop and find bugs. I also haven't written a screenshot function for the actual PSP hardware yet, but in response to criticism, i will write one and i will definately show a real hardware screengrab next time. But rest assured, the very same demo does run on the PSP hardware, and looks exactly the same apart from a subtle difference in the quality of the bilinear filter, and i may have had antialiasing enabled on the PC when i took that shot (hard to tell, the jpeg kinda screwed it). The PSP looks a little sharper and jaggier.

4) Yes i support other platforms too, currently: PC, Linux, XBox, PSP, and as soon as i have time, i will be adding support for PS2 and Gamecube. I also want to do Dreamcast, but i dont have that much spare time ;)

5) Yes the game 'looks' like its fairly advanced, but no, i wont release a demo as it is. You cant really do anything currently other than run around a bit, go into the inn, and scare the birds (causing them to fly off, fly around a bit, and land somewhere else). That might hold peoples interest for a minute or 2, but i'd rather release a demo when theres actually something to do :P .. I plan to have combat and a stats system happening before i release something.

6) No i dont need beta testers ;) .. sorry, no pre-release for you ;)

Thanks again everyone! :P
- Turkeyman

Machinegun
January 28th, 2006, 03:28
Hello, if you want some 2d illustration type art for an opening or some original character designs then feel free to PM me. My website is http://transfigured.net or here's some images that I drew a while back for those that don't want to make the jump :o

Image 01 (http://transfigured.net/art/original/samuraikid0.JPG)
Image 02 (http://transfigured.net/art/original/swordboy.jpg)
Image 03 (http://transfigured.net/art/original/guysmoking01.GIF)

mofo09
January 29th, 2006, 06:54
i cant wait!!!!!!!!

gusgus
February 5th, 2006, 05:57
Good stuff Turkeyman. I want to offer my services for making a website. I currently run www.internetsubway.com ( all based on coldfusion ) and have a resellers account, so space/bandwidth won't be to much of a problem ( hopefully :) ) I'm not to good at art work, but I have the back-end stuff on lock. PM me if you're interested.