PDA

View Full Version : The updated NDS: DSLite is Announced (pics)

souLLy
January 26th, 2006, 11:55
http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/nintendo_ds_lite.jpg

Nintendo (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060126.html) have today announced the New DS Lite Console, heres some details thanks to Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/26/nintendo-announces-ds-lite/)

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata today announced Nintendo DS Lite, a slimmer version of the best-selling Nintendo DS™. Also featuring brighter screens, Nintendo DS Lite will launch in Japan in March. Nintendo DS Lite will be less than two-thirds the size of the original Nintendo DS and more than 20 percent lighter.

Nintendo DS has enjoyed extremely strong sales in Japan and around the world, selling more than 14.4 million units worldwide. The Japanese sell-through of the existing Nintendo DS hardware exceeded 5 million within 13 months, which made Nintendo DS the fastest-selling video game system there.

Nintendo will announce more information about the availability of Nintendo DS Lite in North America and other territories in the future.

More details:

Japanese release date: March 2, 2006

Weight: 218g (compare to 275g for the current Nintendo DS)

Dimensions: 133mm x 73.9mm x 21.5mm

Screenshots via the comments:

CPhoenix
January 26th, 2006, 16:22
DS Prediction #4: No DS redesign until 2007. Yep, this could be proven wrong on Monday. I just like to make myself vulnerable like that. But, the fact is that the DS won't see a redesign until 2007. Sure, you may see an announcement on a redesign sooner, but you're not going to be buying new product for at least a year. The DS is selling like hotcakes (it's sold out in Japan, for example). Why mess with something that you can't even keep in stock? And the Revolution is headed our way in Spring/Summer. Why release something that will compete directly for the gamer's dollar in the exact same timeframe? Nintendo will bide its time on this one.

Ahem....(cough)

lowride
January 26th, 2006, 19:21
lol.

The DS Lite, hey. Nintendo are doing well, half the people in the forums i've checked are saying they're gonna give their old DS to their little brothers or sisters and buy the new one!! Thats some money making.

I been thinking of selling my 1.5 PSP too, i see others have given up too. Homebrew's not delivering and I'd rather have a few crazy fun online multiplayer games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros (When? When?) and DS has got good WIFI Access and now a good design.

Hawq
January 26th, 2006, 19:31
Nintendo DS Lite will be less than two-thirds the size of the original Nintendo DS and more than 20 percent lighter.As if the original wasnt crippling western hands already theyre making it smaller? that may hurt them outside Japan, extended play makes my hands cramp up a hell of a lot with the first one just like the GC pad did. Someone remind them we're bigger in the west before they cripple us.

Kaiser
January 26th, 2006, 22:08
As if the original wasnt crippling western hands already theyre making it smaller? that may hurt them outside Japan, extended play makes my hands cramp up a hell of a lot with the first one just like the GC pad did. Someone remind them we're bigger in the west before they cripple us.

As long as its bigger then the Gameboy micro we'll all be fine (And by "all" I mean me).

kichigai
January 27th, 2006, 06:32
chances are the firmware for the ds lite will be much worse than the v2 that ninty's come out with.

expect hell for passme's and similar devices.