PDA

View Full Version : OT - Nintendo DS Lite Announced

wraggster
January 26th, 2006, 14:08
Nintendo have today announced a slimlined version of the Nintendo DS called DS Lite, The DS Lite will be less than two-thirds the size of the original Nintendo DS and more than 20 percent lighter. Screenshots and more information at <a href="http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/" target="_blank" >Nintendo DS News</a>.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
January 26th, 2006, 18:11
MMMM shortages at christmas...Let me think even Stevie Wonder could see this coming..

Voltron
January 26th, 2006, 19:28
This is smart on Nintendo's part but not really a suprise. Breathes new life into the DS. I know I would like to sell my original and get the new design. Although the homebrew scene breathes new life into the PSP almost daily without a need for a cosmetic facelift. I truly believe the homebrew scene is helping the PSP and Sony as a whole.

Anyway, what will Sony be doing now to keep the PSP the #1 gadget of choice and combat its #1 competitor, Nintendo. There are the 4GB and 8GB memory stick duo's set to be released this year. I wonder what else Sony has up their sleeve.

I'm not a fanboy by any account but I really think I will always have a strong preference toward the PSP due in large to the great homebrew scene which in turn has to be credited to the many talented develoers and coders that make it all possible.

b8a
January 27th, 2006, 00:15
Wow, I didn't think it was possible, but Nintendo has gotten to me. I actually think I might want a DS now... I hate that dual screen gimic, but at that price, that size, and with that selection of games (DS + a great selection of classic and new GBA), I think I might just be sold. If this new version retains it's homebrew capabilities, then my PSP is in serious danger of getting shelved or sold.

Note to Sony: until you can release some games (or persuade some third party developers to do so) that will give the DS lineup a run for their money, stop fighting homebrew or else you risk making the PSP next to worthless. With the existing quality of PSP games, there's hardly anything worth pirating anyway, so homebrew capabilities are hardly going to make you loose profit. People may download pirated games, but you can't kid yourselves that most of those games would actually be bought even if they weren't available illegaly. Kill homebrew = kill PSP. In my opinion.

xuphorz
January 28th, 2006, 04:25
this will undoubtedly lower the cost of the original. like what sp did to the original gba.

maybe i'll buy an "old" ds system when they drop to $60

ArugulaZ
January 28th, 2006, 08:00
Anyway, what will Sony be doing now to keep the PSP the #1 gadget of choice...

Funny, the Japanese sales figures are saying something different. And they're saying it pretty loudly.

JR