PDA

View Full Version : America Still Plays More PS2 Than Xbox 360 and Wii Combined

wraggster
January 2nd, 2009, 23:14
Sometimes it's easy to lose perspective amidst marketing. Case in point: Nielsen measured that gamers, on whole, spent 31% of their time on the PS2 in 2008 (more than the Xbox 360 and Wii combined).

The other interesting, though not necessarily surprising finding was that the gaming population spends more time playing the 360 than the Wii, despite the 360's lower install base. Microsoft can probably thank Call of Duty 4 for that win (along with similar online titles).

One point we're not sure about, however, is whether or not portable systems were included in this list. We're guessing not, as the DS would have probably popped up somewhere.

http://gizmodo.com/5122098/america-still-plays-more-ps2-than-xbox-360-and-wii-combined

osgeld
January 3rd, 2009, 00:21
i got rid of my ps2 a few years ago, and i kinda wish i didnt, if i still had it, yea id still be playing it

TONS of quality software, tons of used stock, and generally a darn fine machine

on that note tho, last year my wife bought me a xbox 1, i choose it over a ps2 because of emulation and linux and whatnot, and i still go out and get xbox games for it too

theirs also a good library for it, altho not as much as a ps2 in my eye, since ive played alot of it on either ps2 or pc, but i still do play the hell out of it

yea sure the ps2 and the xbox may not look as nice as the 3 or the 360, but the simple point is, i cant afford to drop down the kind of money they want for those machines (after all i am supota be an adult, i got mouths to feed and bills to pay) and there's not really all that much to be excited about with this gen...

most of it is just last gen with prettier graphics

devdj
January 3rd, 2009, 00:58
well i still have a ps2 since 2003 and i softmodded it myself last year so i could play imports and right now i playing gundam musou 2 which i have to say is freaking awesome i can't believe that ps2 has this kind of power being able to generate dozens of mobiles suits at once but only a few of them actually attack you but the A.I. is way better in this then it was with gundam musou 1 and the collision detection is also better and i have say that i would be lost without a ps2 its just so affordable now that its an ablsoute must to own even if it is nearing its end at least my ps2 has lasted longer than my xbox 360.

goshogun1
January 3rd, 2009, 06:42
I still play my PS2. My backlog of games for PS2 is quite large. I mean, the amount of cool used games you could get for the price of one newish 360 game is insane.

mike_jmg
January 3rd, 2009, 07:39
For me the PS2 is the best console I've ever had, there's literaly tons of great games for it as osgeld already pointed out.

I think I'll never get rid of it even if I have already played the great majority of the good titles

I've had it since 2003 I think, like a year later I had it modchiped so it runs almost anything, snes9x for the ps2 was my first experience with emulators on a game console.

I just recently got an Xbox 360 but I'm not really excited about this console generation there are very few games that I like, mainly I bought it so I could play DMC4 and because it was cheap, once I finished the game there wasn't much to look foward to.

Maybe Tekken 6, but it comes out on "Fall 2009" whatever date that is, cause it is still too vague