PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew and Emulation on PSPs up to V2.5 a Reality Now

wraggster
January 27th, 2006, 07:21
Fanjita (www.fanjita.org) has finally released the Eboot loader that uses the door left in the game Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=6533&lsaid=219793), heres the information from the readme file:

<blockquote>eLoader for GTA beta by Fanjita and Ditlew

Includes code by:
Groepaz
Delyan Kalchev
Edison Carter
Bitmap1

This package allows you to run some standard PSP homebrew on any version of Grand Theft Auto, and PSP firmware version v2.0, v2.01 and v2.5. It's an initial test of the loader, that doesn't support the full range of homebrew, but works well enough for an initial release.

It does NOT run on v2.60 firmware.

Please note also the new name for the EBOOT Loader - "eLoader".

To install:
===========

Use WinRAR to unpack the contents of this package into the root (topmost) folder on your memory stick. Note that if you have an existing GTA savegame that uses slot 5, then this will be overwritten by the eLoader savegame. You can see which slots you are using by the folder names - ULES00182SX, ULES00151SX or ULUS10041SX : X is the slot number.

To make sure that the eLoader is not auto-started by GTA, you can copy another GTA savegame folder off your memory stick, and then back onto the memory stick now. Now you can copy your homebrew files into subfolders in the /psp/game/ folder.

To use:
=======

Start up GTA as normal. When it has loaded, select "Load Game", select the eLoader savegame and confirm the load as normal. After a short delay, the eLoader menu should appear. Select the homebrew to run using the D-Pad, and the X button. You can select a CPU speed with the L + R shoulder buttons, or press START to restart your PSP.

To return to the menu, you can usually hold the L+R shoulder buttons, then hold START for a few seconds. This doesn't work for every application. The HOME button doesn't work, this is a known problem.

Troubleshooting:
================

One common problem is that sometimes GTA has problems if it auto-loads this savegame at startup. You can avoid this by making sure that the datestamp on the new savedata folders is older than the most recent game that you saved with GTA. This should happen automatically if you use WinRAR to extract the files. If you still have problems with GTA crashing as soon as it starts, then try this:

* Start GTA with no memory stick inserted. You should get a warning, and then start the intro movies.
* Once the intro has finished, either play through the first mission until you can get to a game save point, or just load up an existing save (not the Tetris save).
* Now save your position in a new save slot.

You should then find that GTA autoloads your normal savegame, letting you select the eLoader savegame later.

You might find that removing unused save folders helps. There are 3 versions of the folders in this package, to cover all known versions of the game. You only really need the version appropriate to your copy of the game, which is:
ULES00182S* for German GTA
ULUS10041S* for US GTA
ULES00151S* for all other versions.

Known Working Homebrew:
=======================

I'll keep an up-to-date list of working homebrew at http://www.fanjita.org/gta_working.html.

For now, the (short) list that has been tested is:
uo_Snes9x v0.02y32
Dual Tetris
Lunar Lander
Ghost in the Matrix
Nem's Hello World</blockquote>

Download via the Comments

WE HAVE NOW SET UP A NEW FORUM FOR DISCUSSION EBOOT LOADERS AND THE GTA LOADER PLEASE POST AWAY HERE =--> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Great work Fanjita ;)

THE ANSWER
January 27th, 2006, 07:48
GOD no I just bought a 2.6 today GOD why me? why now? :( :( :(

chrisrulz555
January 27th, 2006, 07:50
Thanks Fanjita and all the team members, psp owners everywhere will forever be greatful for all your accomplishments :D

nielsss
January 27th, 2006, 07:58
i have 2.0 and i use the eboot laoder 9.0 but this news is amazing 1.0 to 2.5 can run homebrew FAJITA you are the man

modcase
January 27th, 2006, 08:01
If you get stuck you can ask fanjita and others for help directly at pspu, as mentioned in the readme and in the article I WROTE. Not to mention the fact that it was an exclusive release. :(

PSP Updates (http://tinyurl.com/7uqm4)

yeah im sick of scene wars and i admit to having an explosive temper but i do care that coders dont get the proper credit as they are our scene and i dont forget that.

I guess news posters dont fall under that category.

titan77
January 27th, 2006, 08:58
this is amazing! great work Fanjita!! This release came faster then i ever could imagine.

aries2k4
January 27th, 2006, 11:27
Great job Fanjita and Ditlew
Definately a big day for the psp scene
Keep it up!!

gavind
January 27th, 2006, 11:47
now all I would want is to be able to play my games from memory stick on a 2.0, i used to like having zero loading times on my 1.5 legal backup games

gotmilk0112
January 27th, 2006, 12:09
Omfgggggggggg Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Go Fajita U R T3h Haxxors!!!!!

Ziim
January 27th, 2006, 12:55
Does anyone know if a downgrader is in the works, or even possible?

AtariFreek
January 27th, 2006, 14:23
*sob* Great Work *SOB* I HAVE A 2.6!!! WAH!!!!

Rinshu
January 27th, 2006, 14:32
So after you load the save in GTA, does it then allow you to browse your memory card to choose which homebrew app to run? Im a little confused on that part. Im still at 1.5 and I dont want to upgrade until Im exactly sure how things work.

vincesecuricor2005
January 27th, 2006, 15:26
Nice one fanjita this is great as the giga packs sold in the uk over christmas were all 2.01 (including the one i bought for my son!), i finally get my 2.0 psp back off him!

Voltron
January 27th, 2006, 16:17
GOD no I just bought a 2.6 today GOD why me? why now? :( :( :(

So your brand new PSP came pre-loaded with Firmware 2.6? That suck$... Where did you get it from?

Daremo
January 27th, 2006, 16:22
With Tetris and other homebrew working, the eloader should be close to working with 2.6. This guy is pure gold!

wraggster
January 27th, 2006, 16:26
yeah im curious to know what the difference between it working on a v2.6 and a v2.5 is.

Great to the British (Fanjita is from Scotland) leading the PSP World.

Voltron
January 27th, 2006, 16:31
This is just simply amazing. Every possible compliment goes out to Fanjita and all other contributors. Please everyone go to Fanjitas site @ Fanjitas Place (http://www.fanjita.org) and send a PayPal donation or at the very least click on the Google adverts. I'm on my way right now.

Thanks again Fanjita - This is a big day for PSP homebrew

urherenow
January 27th, 2006, 16:41
Rinshu... if you have a 1.5 then don't upgrade unless you want to play GTA or a number of other games that require it, and then ONLY upgrade to 2.0 so you can still go back. What you can do with 1.5 is still far better than anything else so this is just very good news for those who are already 2.01+

MaxSMoke
January 27th, 2006, 17:15
Woot! I got SNES on my White PSP! I'll be bringing by the Virgin Sacrifices shortly!

Fanjita
January 27th, 2006, 18:14
yeah im curious to know what the difference between it working on a v2.6 and a v2.5 is.

Great to the British (Fanjita is from Scotland) leading the PSP World.

Put simply, Sony moved a bunch of stuff around on v2.6, that had been pretty much constant on previous firmwares. There's a big effort required to find it all again before we can do very much with v2.6. Most of the things that we're currently able to do are because we can take some nifty shortcuts using GTA, but that's not sufficient to be able to work properly with homebrew in general.

YourStillWithMe
January 27th, 2006, 19:30
I am very happy for you 2.01 and up users. Your doorway to the wonderful TRUE world of homebrew is increasing. . . .

You still have to maintain patience and be cautious of updates. Remember-the further you upgrade the further you take yourself from homebrew.

Don't you see it as a bit of a pain to load up GTA and than load a save game just to access some toydee games when you could just have 1.00 or 1.50 and go select it in the game folder and that would be the end of it?

:D

I'll never upgrade past 2.00 on either of my psp's well maybe my 2.00 psp will be upgraded but i like my Version .10 Eboot Loader just the way it is with my GTA

KriMe
January 27th, 2006, 19:44
So being a 2.6 user I guess the big question is, Is there any effort being put into making a Eboot loader for it? And if so is it something in the near future?

Daremo
January 27th, 2006, 20:09
You can almost smell the collective moisture on the faces of those at Sony today. I bet a 2.7 update is in the works.

Even if 2.6 is still far off, perhaps a 2.6 to 2.5 dowgrader?

vincesecuricor2005
January 27th, 2006, 20:55
fanjitas already said that a downgrader aint gonna happen via the gta exploit (but didnt sony say 2.5 was un-hackable?)

...Deep in thought...

gotmilk0112
January 27th, 2006, 21:45
can someone help me - whenever i use t he EBOOT Loader 2.5 this is what it shows:

eLoader v0.95 by Fajita and Ditlew
(based on work by Saotome)
Couldn't Open EBOOT.PBP : 8002032C
Press a button to reset

slayer2psp
January 27th, 2006, 21:51
So after you load the save in GTA, does it then allow you to browse your memory card to choose which homebrew app to run? Im a little confused on that part. Im still at 1.5 and I dont want to upgrade until Im exactly sure how things work.
dont ever upgrade your 1.5 this only lets you use like 5 homebrew apps at the moment and i doubt isoloaders will ever work so never upgrade pass 2.00 becuse you can roll that back this is great for 2.50 owners and all but now with this im sure someone will come up with a downgrader soon so you can roll back 2.50 time will tell. great work on this cant wait for the neo cd emu to run i have two psp one with 1.50 and one 2.50 for location free and the newer games

slayer2psp
January 27th, 2006, 21:54
So being a 2.6 user I guess the big question is, Is there any effort being put into making a Eboot loader for it? And if so is it something in the near future? how do you have 2.6 in the usa id say 90 percent of the new psp are still 1.52 why did you upgrade to 2.60 i

Kaiser
January 27th, 2006, 21:58
If you get stuck you can ask fanjita and others for help directly at pspu, as mentioned in the readme and in the article I WROTE. Not to mention the fact that it was an exclusive release. :(

PSP Updates (http://tinyurl.com/7uqm4)

I guess news posters dont fall under that category.

There was nothing exclusive about it. Fanjita's above the scene wars because he has his own site and posts regularly on all of the PSP sites (at least the important ones). You simply posted this to start a flame. Which anyone here could return but happily ignored your post. There is a lot of things I could say about PSPU, and why it should be avoided, but then again I'd be stooping to your level.

Awesome release Fanjita! You keep handing Sony's ass to it self. Thanks for allowing everyone to have homebrew on their 2.00-2.50s.

eretsua
January 27th, 2006, 22:18
impressive work Fanjita! Many thanks for all your hard work!!

Slightly off topic: Which version of GTA should I get euro or usa? I've gathered that both version should pull the homebrew-trick but is there any difference between the regions (GTA game-wise)?

Killuminati
January 27th, 2006, 23:00
Boooo! v1.5 You Dont Need GTA. I'm Still Waiting For A Version Where There Isnt Any GTA Or Any Other Game Required. :)

LC_killer
January 28th, 2006, 00:18
how long untill ir functions are opend so we can run these ir remotes that are being made??

KriMe
January 28th, 2006, 00:57
how do you have 2.6 in the usa id say 90 percent of the new psp are still 1.52 why did you upgrade to 2.60 i

Accually I bought mine about a month ago (Early Jan) and fresh out the box it had 2.5 on it. At the time not knowing what i know now, everyone in forums said that 2.0+ would never be hacked for homebrew. So i figured why not do the upgrade and get the little extra features.

I also know peope who got their psp's back in november and december that had firmware 2.0+ on it. So id check my source's for this 90% of US psp's are 1.52 thing because I dont think it's very accurate.

YourStillWithMe
January 28th, 2006, 01:56
Killuminati-I suggest that you don't post like that on this site my friend, you will quickly be disliked. Think positively and be happy for those who do not have 1.50 or 2.00 . If you had a 2.01+ you would be mad pist too that you wouldn't have 1.50 I cherish mine to but show some respect.

Has anyone else noticed that Fanjita is the only coder out there thats actually making progress and keeping this scene alive? If it wasnt for him we'd still be sitting at our desks working on the damn 1.52 for god sakes. . .

flingo
January 28th, 2006, 02:14
YHas anyone else noticed that Fanjita is the only coder out there thats actually making progress and keeping this scene alive? If it wasnt for him we'd still be sitting at our desks working on the damn 1.52 for god sakes. . .
__________________[QUOTE]

You are absolutely right, with fanjitas, many peoples can enjoy homebrews and more with this one. psp scene make me remember the emulation scene at the beginning... anyway, Fanjitas is the best :)

.:PSP1.0:.
January 28th, 2006, 06:39
Boooo! v1.5 You Dont Need GTA. I'm Still Waiting For A Version Where There Isnt Any GTA Or Any Other Game Required. :)

Ungrateful punk ass! :mad:

.:PSP1.0:.
January 28th, 2006, 06:41
Killuminati-I suggest that you don't post like that on this site my friend, you will quickly be disliked. Think positively and be happy for those who do not have 1.50 or 2.00 . If you had a 2.01+ you would be mad pist too that you wouldn't have 1.50 I cherish mine to but show some respect.

Has anyone else noticed that Fanjita is the only coder out there thats actually making progress and keeping this scene alive? If it wasnt for him we'd still be sitting at our desks working on the damn 1.52 for god sakes. . .

Hear.. Hear.. Thats sooo true! :)

r00t
January 28th, 2006, 15:17

Your an Idiot. Use your eyes to READ. No, this doesnt mean you can downgrade. Just curious. Now that most ports, mods etc will be coming over to 2.5 WHY would you want to Downgrade to 1.5? Really, 1.5 has no advantage over 2.5 atall accept the kiddies who can;'t buy games may be able to load some ISO's.

Fanjita
January 28th, 2006, 19:31
There was nothing exclusive about it. Fanjita's above the scene wars because he has his own site and posts regularly on all of the PSP sites (at least the important ones). You simply posted this to start a flame. Which anyone here could return but happily ignored your post. There is a lot of things I could say about PSPU, and why it should be avoided, but then again I'd be stooping to your level.

Actually, it was exclusively released at PSPU. Among other things, they did me the favour of releasing it since I was too tired to release it to my own site - and in return, they had exclusivity on the news.

As such, there is no other place that you could have taken the news from. Every other site that has covered this story did the right thing and provided appropriate credit - to me it's sad that DC-EMU didn't, but I'm kinda resigned to it these days. As you said, I just don't like to get involved any more - I have much better things to do.

wraggster
January 30th, 2006, 23:50
The issue regarding crediting started at the begining of the scene when ********* took credit for every jap release then inserted their own readmes into releases, then either mislinked or just plain didnt link, i got so fed up with it and with iso loader newsposts i took a stance to either not link or bar them altogether.

A few weeks ago when the second 30 day contest was released every single psp site ripped our exclusive releases without so much as a link back or in the case of the updates lot they linked to the Dreamcast site so yet again a mislink that would get people thinking what the hells going off, (even fanjita tried to get a proper credit but he didnt off them) i did the same to them because of the lame action.

Now why the updates lot should get exclusivity when ever a big loader release comes up makes me extremely curious especially when the coder has his very own and very well known site?? and this has happened a few times now.

Also the download section over there has no links back to any coders work whatsoever, dont believe me then take a look, if thats not a slap in the face then nothing is.

Fanjita i honour your work but release on your own site and not on the corporate site that they have become. Its a great day for v2.60 users but sad that the real person doesnt get the full 100% credit instead of some site that plays up to every coder who releases the next big thing in the PSP scene.

wraggster
January 31st, 2006, 00:11
to all those looking to play isos, please thats the last thing the scene needs, ill be surprised if Sony dont counter this as we speak, but iso loaders on v2.6 etc will surely piss them off.

wowfan
January 31st, 2006, 02:30
The issue regarding crediting started at the begining of the scene when ********* took credit for every jap release then inserted their own readmes into releases, then either mislinked or just plain didnt link, i got so fed up with it and with iso loader newsposts i took a stance to either not link or bar them altogether.

A few weeks ago when the second 30 day contest was released every single psp site ripped our exclusive releases without so much as a link back or in the case of the updates lot they linked to the Dreamcast site so yet again a mislink that would get people thinking what the hells going off, (even fanjita tried to get a proper credit but he didnt off them) i did the same to them because of the lame action.

Now why the updates lot should get exclusivity when ever a big loader release comes up makes me extremely curious especially when the coder has his very own and very well known site?? and this has happened a few times now.

Also the download section over there has no links back to any coders work whatsoever, dont believe me then take a look, if thats not a slap in the face then nothing is.

Fanjita i honour your work but release on your own site and not on the corporate site that they have become. Its a great day for v2.60 users but sad that the real person doesnt get the full 100% credit instead of some site that plays up to every coder who releases the next big thing in the PSP scene.

hm.. as a person who has been visiting both sites since the PSP came out in the states i see a lot of fallacy in this. i remember PSPU putting in 'downloaded from' readmes, not taking credit like they made it. as far as iso newposts sure, they did it for info but with no download. i havent seen a newspost about them in several months..prolly since their site began

as far as your latests coding contest, i can easily remember the pspu coding contest being ripped to here without a link back as well.. i just dont get all the drama, why not just get over it? i mean, there can be fingers pointed all day. i see programs here and there with no links, its not always 'his fault,' because its easy to see that both places are doing the same things no matter how you like to word it. the thing that bothers me the most are the posts, on the front page, which are obviously targeting them.. i just dont get it man.

why not just get over this stupid fight and be the one to start linking back? what you said really doesnt issue the fact that there was no link, just your personal feelings..im sure theyd link u too, but from both sites standpoint i dont see it happening if the other one doesnt. why not just step up and do it? anyways, what do i know about site drama... i find it a foolish waste in which no one benefits, especially when u gain with links from a bigger site.. :rolleyes:

trippleA
January 31st, 2006, 02:34
GTA? what is that

PSPFourLife
January 31st, 2006, 03:50
Fanjita will always be my PSP Hero. He has truly changed the entire PSP scene.

Fanjita RULES!!!

wraggster
January 31st, 2006, 18:24
Its funny but up until this loader release the QJ Network were usually 500 less online at all times of the day so to say they are bigger is wrong, yes the forums are more popular but that contest where you had to get premium members to win a PSP bolsted that and the iso newsposts brought a lot of warez kiddies to their forums.

Sure theres some great people over there but the webmasters and admins are not by a long way, one thing that puzzles not only me but everyone i know is why does Fanjita when he has his own site release on their site as exclusive.

Fanjitas a great bloke but the whole situation there is a tad fishy, i also find it disapointing that on fanjitas compat list he links only to psp updates and not to any of the real coders who deserve the credit more than the corporate site they are.

when you have been here from the start and seen all the tricks they pulled then you understand.

and btw i only posted their competition releases in my forum and not has main page news :)

wowfan
February 1st, 2006, 01:08
Its funny but up until this loader release the QJ Network were usually 500 less online at all times of the day so to say they are bigger is wrong, yes the forums are more popular but that contest where you had to get premium members to win a PSP bolsted that and the iso newsposts brought a lot of warez kiddies to their forums.

Sure theres some great people over there but the webmasters and admins are not by a long way, one thing that puzzles not only me but everyone i know is why does Fanjita when he has his own site release on their site as exclusive.

Fanjitas a great bloke but the whole situation there is a tad fishy, i also find it disapointing that on fanjitas compat list he links only to psp updates and not to any of the real coders who deserve the credit more than the corporate site they are.

when you have been here from the start and seen all the tricks they pulled then you understand.

and btw i only posted their competition releases in my forum and not has main page news :)

i dont know the details of the stuff, but its just silly to me. i do remember that stuff being done over 2-3 months ago so its pretty old and not like they still do it thank God. besides why do you care so much? its just a website..if you do the right thing and link them, not only will it make them look bad, but they will most likely do it in return. i remember you tried before but stopped for some reason, but why not try again? sigh... stupid drama.

Smiths
February 1st, 2006, 23:02
wowfan- you build a "bridge" on a swamp, it'll sink.

guess which site is the swamp.

osiris_75
February 2nd, 2006, 13:34
Great work with the loader

Just one question though,the loader its self can only run some homebrew at the moment, do you know if it would be possible to run other homebrew if i load file assistant first and then the other homebrew through that?

i'm about to test it now but i just thought i'd ask first.

jereminion
February 3rd, 2006, 00:43
hi the snes emulator does not work for 2.5, does anyone know any homebrew that works, period?

Elsid
February 6th, 2006, 20:20
Any downgraders for 2.5?

yaustar
February 7th, 2006, 00:29
Any downgraders for 2.5?
No.

RainHawk
February 7th, 2006, 21:08
I´ve got to use the original version of GTA Liberty City Stories to run the Loader?

Elsid
February 13th, 2006, 09:25
Don't worry man, sooner or later you can play homebrews on your 2.6

vegitxx
August 21st, 2006, 23:39
Ya... does anyone know if there is a downgrader for 2.60 Firmware ? I tried puting Homebrew from my GTA LCS today and I load the eloader and it takes me right back to my old save. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learnt that my version of GTA LCS is a "patched" version, therefor It cannot boot programs. DAM.....nyway...hope Fanjita can find a solution to this crisis Im having. If anyone knows a solution Please Help.... URGENTLY.!!!!!!!

motz
August 22nd, 2006, 08:30
Ya... does anyone know if there is a downgrader for 2.60 Firmware ? I tried puting Homebrew from my GTA LCS today and I load the eloader and it takes me right back to my old save. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learnt that my version of GTA LCS is a "patched" version, therefor It cannot boot programs. DAM.....nyway...hope Fanjita can find a solution to this crisis Im having. If anyone knows a solution Please Help.... URGENTLY.!!!!!!!
A downgrader does exist for firmware 2.60 but you need an unpatched version of GTA:LCS.