PDA

View Full Version : times changing.

shadowprophet
January 5th, 2009, 09:15
have times really changed that much in the last few years, it seems like we have a lot more people reading posts, but a lot less people actually posting,

And lord help us all on how interesting a post has to be these days to actually get a responce from someone,

It's seems like people are just less sociable then they once where,

to be honest, i dont have it in me anymore to run a one man circus just to get shock responces from people.

Maybe im wrong. maybe times havent changed that much,
But you know, maybe people have became so engrosed in the world around them with all the problems and the war, the economy, that it really does take a specail kind of post to even merit attention,

sigh,

dejkirkby
January 5th, 2009, 10:27
Unfortanately, shades, times have changed.
The users that kept Off-Topic going have long gone, my friend.
They guys here now are cool and all, but the size of the posting group seems to have dwindled.

souLLy
January 5th, 2009, 11:13
o rly?

Eviltaco64
January 5th, 2009, 11:21
o rly?

http://www.forumspile.com/O_RLY-Quite.jpg

But in all seriousness, I think that people just move on from forums eventually... Either that or they grow to dislike one forum and move to another for reasons x, y, and z.

EDIT: Scratch that. Some stay with forums for years on end, but those are usually more mature members that don't fly off the handle about stupid things.

fg-54
January 5th, 2009, 11:39
yes, i see that only about 6 different users post in these random threads, then i see who is in them, and i see about 30 viewers :P

dejkirkby
January 5th, 2009, 12:57
But in all seriousness, I think that people just move on from forums eventually... Either that or they grow to dislike one forum and move to another for reasons x, y, and z.

EDIT: Scratch that. Some stay with forums for years on end, but those are usually more mature members that don't fly off the handle about stupid things.
An almost perfect summary.

gunntims0103
January 5th, 2009, 14:36
I guess thats the nature of all things where users move on but there are still many good people here and as long as there here. i'll be here to post :)

shadowprophet
January 5th, 2009, 14:43
If i could speak freely and some what bluntly for a moment,
without offending the staff,

I would say, I know how opposed to junk forums you are.
But I would go on to say, those forums where a colaborative effort created by darksaviour and myself. and you had no right to take them anyway.

But thats not the issue, thats never been an issue,
I'm behind dcemu 100% i always have been, and always will be,

My main grip would be that for reasons unknown to myself, most of staff is so opposed to the junk forums they arent eve open to the idea of them, even though i've offerend to run them myself.

I honestly don't care about the job or if i get it or anything to that nature,

What I do care about is long time members, brothers leaving dcemu, simple because they are bored to complete tears.

An outlet is important, fun is important, and some people seem to have forgotten those things.
Some people thrive off creativity, and feel confined when they dont have an outlet.
The junk forums where an expressive creative outlet and without that outlet, Dcemu has lost some magic in those peoples eyes.

I would petition to bring Junk back, it's needed now more then ever. off topic is slowly dieing,
most staffers know off topic is my home, I rarely post outside of it, you are letting my home slowly die and its not fair.
Again, That is what I would say, if i could speak freely and bluntly without offending staff.

So I guess i'll just say nothing.

But there is another side to this whole deck of cards, dcemu is a huge ship. it needs everyone on board working together to run efficently, and if the majority of staff does dissagree about junk. well thats called due process.
and it's a fair and just process.

So, I guess it's a plea to bring back junk more then anything,

And Btw, brother gunn!!! where the hell have you been! it's been, I dont even know how long it's been man! how are ya!!!

shadowprophet
January 5th, 2009, 17:00
santa can't bring us everything we want for christmas.
but hell having junk back would make me forget what a fat bastard santa is anyway.

so uh if anything,,it would mean a lot if my petition was at least considered.:cool:

pibs
January 5th, 2009, 18:12
Noooo im fading away!
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/bttf/images/0/06/Erasedfromexistance.jpg

BlueCrab
January 5th, 2009, 19:03
If i could speak freely and some what bluntly for a moment,
without offending the staff,
Surely.

I would say, I know how opposed to junk forums you are.
But I would go on to say, those forums where a colaborative effort created by darksaviour and myself. and you had no right to take them anyway.The decision to remove the junk forum was made by a majority of the staff (that voted on the issue anyway). I fail to see why we "had no right to take them away".

But thats not the issue, thats never been an issue,
I'm behind dcemu 100% i always have been, and always will be,

My main grip would be that for reasons unknown to myself, most of staff is so opposed to the junk forums they arent eve open to the idea of them, even though i've offerend to run them myself.The reason that the staff is against them is the exact reason that the junk forum was deleted in the first place, people failed to use it properly. Flame wars erupted and people were generally hurt by posts in the junk forum. At the time, the populace of the Junk forum simply did not know how to maturely use such an outlet. Thus, the forum was taken away.

I honestly don't care about the job or if i get it or anything to that nature,

What I do care about is long time members, brothers leaving dcemu, simple because they are bored to complete tears.The off-topic forum should provide enough of an outlet for people to have mature, sensible conversations, as well as a place where they can have a little bit of fun (see all the random forum game threads about). It all depends on if people use the resources available to them in the right way.

An outlet is important, fun is important, and some people seem to have forgotten those things.
Some people thrive off creativity, and feel confined when they dont have an outlet.
The junk forums where an expressive creative outlet and without that outlet, Dcemu has lost some magic in those peoples eyes.

I would petition to bring Junk back, it's needed now more then ever. off topic is slowly dieing,
most staffers know off topic is my home, I rarely post outside of it, you are letting my home slowly die and its not fair.
Again, That is what I would say, if i could speak freely and bluntly without offending staff.I fail to see how bringing back the Junk forum will do anything to attract back old regulars that have moved on. There were very few people, that I remember anyway, that left just because Junk was deleted.

So I guess i'll just say nothing.

But there is another side to this whole deck of cards, dcemu is a huge ship. it needs everyone on board working together to run efficently, and if the majority of staff does dissagree about junk. well thats called due process.
and it's a fair and just process.This was the case when the forum was deleted, and I believe that it is still the case today. The majority of the staff does not want the extra headache of dealing with a junk forum with a populace that is not mature enough to not resort to flame wars and other hurtful posting.

ICE
January 5th, 2009, 19:23
If people cant use a section properly you discipline the individual, you dont change the forum to fit the rules certain people are willing to follow.

99.99% of the forums I have seen have had some sort of junk forum and they dont seem to have any issue with it. Either this forum is full of immature d-bags or the staff is too lazy to police a junk section.

shadowprophet
January 5th, 2009, 23:34
Surely.

The decision to remove the junk forum was made by a majority of the staff (that voted on the issue anyway). I fail to see why we "had no right to take them away".

The reason that the staff is against them is the exact reason that the junk forum was deleted in the first place, people failed to use it properly. Flame wars erupted and people were generally hurt by posts in the junk forum. At the time, the populace of the Junk forum simply did not know how to maturely use such an outlet. Thus, the forum was taken away.

The off-topic forum should provide enough of an outlet for people to have mature, sensible conversations, as well as a place where they can have a little bit of fun (see all the random forum game threads about). It all depends on if people use the resources available to them in the right way.

I fail to see how bringing back the Junk forum will do anything to attract back old regulars that have moved on. There were very few people, that I remember anyway, that left just because Junk was deleted.

This was the case when the forum was deleted, and I believe that it is still the case today. The majority of the staff does not want the extra headache of dealing with a junk forum with a populace that is not mature enough to not resort to flame wars and other hurtful posting.

you know, even that responce, means a means lot, even a no is much better that not even being heard out, So I will accept that answer gracefully, thank you brother Blue.
:cool:

Eviltaco64
January 5th, 2009, 23:35
I'm most certainly for and would love to help moderate a new JUNK. But (from what I've heard at least) things got out of hand a lot in there. JUNK forums should only be around if the members are responsible enough to handle them. It's all fun until the flaming and emo wars begin because of something silly.

If there were to be a new JUNK, I'd say there'd have to be a few simple rules (i.e. no excess flaming, no racism, etc).

Either way, it's a win-lose situation. If JUNK were to return, there'd probably be a more active community. But with it would probably come more spam and controversy (only on the srs internets!). If there is no JUNK, there's less to worry about, but the community just doesn't enjoy DCEmu as much as it should.

Like I said before, I'm all for it, but immature members can wreck something fun like JUNK.

shadowprophet
January 5th, 2009, 23:46
I'm most certainly for and would love to help moderate a new JUNK. But (from what I've heard at least) things got out of hand a lot in there. JUNK forums should only be around if the members are responsible enough to handle them. It's all fun until the flaming and emo wars begin because of something silly.

If there were to be a new JUNK, I'd say there'd have to be a few simple rules (i.e. no excess flaming, no racism, etc).

Either way, it's a win-lose situation. If JUNK were to return, there'd probably be a more active community. But with it would probably come more spam and controversy (only on the srs internets!). If there is no JUNK, there's less to worry about, but the community just doesn't enjoy DCEmu as much as it should.

Like I said before, I'm all for it, but immature members can wreck something fun like JUNK.
There may be some alternative, I think it's proven and I have no doubt in this fact, That Dcemu is a much better place then it was once upon a time, The staff is much more helpful and understanding then they once where.

kaisers done a great job picking out the new major players in every respect.

This is how I know that if someone has a great idea that this idea will at least be heard.

That is a real functioning community a healthy community.
I will rethink this plan. and come up with a better solution then bringing junk back.

And at least I know, whatever that plan is. it will be heard.

Things like that mean a lot, :cool:

Triv1um
January 6th, 2009, 00:46
I think if there was ever to be a JUNK forum, it should be private to people whom the admins allow.

Because, to be fair Blue is right. It was awful in there, while it was fun, people ruined it. (I might of been one of those, I had enough flamewars with Goldline (was that his name))

If there was one to be made private, the admins can easily take away permisions to view/post in that forum. So, I can't see much harm to be fair.

Still, DCEmu is dying because a very few of the classic DCEmu'ers are here. I know i'm not a "classic" member, but when I joined, they were all here.

ninja9393
January 6th, 2009, 01:41
What I do care about is long time members, brothers leaving dcemu, simple because they are bored to complete tears.

That is exactly why I don't post anymore, its not fun... I used to love DCEmu like it was my child, but It's just not the same. It might be the lack of a great coding scene that I was attracted to back in the day that dwindled a lot, it might be the fact that a lot of my great friends (not all) have gone to other forums or just don't go to forums anymore, it might be that it is now boring as hell compared to the old days, all I know is that its not what it was back in the day...

I don't know if I am or ever was a "brother" to DCEmu to anyone's eyes but I do care about it deeply still. I care about what it used to be and can still very well be.

I don't think DCEmu will ever die, you get newer members like Taco, who stay there for over a year and become mods, and that proves that you can still gain loyal members, but to keep those "classic" members around, thats a whole diffrent challenge

I've been here for what 3 some odd years and I can tell you that dcemu was the best thing since sliced bread (horribly cheesy phrase) for the first year and a half...

pibs
January 6th, 2009, 07:00
Was I the only one who enjoyed DCEmu's interviews with coders? Seems those are scarce now. I was never active in the Junk threads but it seemed like people enjoyed them. Without a community with a voice, this site just becomes a corporate blog of gaming news.

Malksta
January 6th, 2009, 07:32
Was I the only one who enjoyed DCEmu's interviews with coders? Seems those are scarce now. I was never active in the Junk threads but it seemed like people enjoyed them. Without a community with a voice, this site just becomes a corporate blog of gaming news.

I found them very interesting also, something I use to read when I drank my cappuchino :|

Seems like there are barely any -real- developers that this site could interview anymore..

Eviltaco64
January 6th, 2009, 11:35
I was thinking about those older interviews (particulary the strmnnrmn one) yesterday. We should interview someone. :/

TacticalBread
January 6th, 2009, 21:03
ah, I remember Junk.

good times.

Sonicboy 101
January 6th, 2009, 22:19
Yup. I had some good times in Junk, some fun moments.

Blue Protoman
January 7th, 2009, 02:38
If the Junk forum were brought back, not only would I post more, but I'd be stupid, yet mature. (Posting non-flame, non-hate garbage without going overboard)

BrooksyX
January 7th, 2009, 07:14
Times have definitely changed here at Dcemu. I've moved on to different forums (more into pc forums now) I love this place and still visit from time to time. But honestly it has kind of lost the"spark" that it had when psp homebrew was really hot. I miss the old dcemu.

TacticalBread
January 8th, 2009, 03:58
Times have definitely changed here at Dcemu. I've moved on to different forums (more into pc forums now) I love this place and still visit from time to time. But honestly it has kind of lost the"spark" that it had when psp homebrew was really hot. I miss the old dcemu.

yep. it's been about two years since I was really active here.

those were the days.

mike_jmg
January 8th, 2009, 04:31
Times do change, but I'm still here, asking the same kind of nonsenses on the off topic forums

It's been really helpfull :)

So I try to return the favor to other DCEmuers whenever I can

I really like these forums

acn010
January 8th, 2009, 18:40
im still here... live and strong as ever :3
i need someone to change my "DCEmu Legend" to something else me like... ived been here since 2005... never bother to join till december cause i wanted ddr on my psp which altavista.com lead me here once more (made me join) and from their i started posting...

Eviltaco64
January 8th, 2009, 21:10
i need someone to change my "DCEmu Legend" to something else me like... ived been here since 2005

Just PM an Administrator, they'll probably give you the option to change it from User CP. ;)

Safari Al
January 8th, 2009, 23:22
Seems like there are barely any -real- developers that this site could interview anymore..

I hope I don't fit into that category. I've been learning and working on a PSP game since October of last year. I'm not quite sure when I'll finish, but so far it seems to be a pretty nice game.

I've only made one release, but that's because in between now and then, I've been learning more than I ever thought I could in less than a year. I wouldn't be to quick to judge on that comment, because I know quite a few developers on here, that have a great enough reputation to be interviewed.

-Al

Shadowblind
January 9th, 2009, 00:08
Ok lets face it; most of the members who f***ed JUNK up aren't even here anymore.

I doubt that JUNK will go down the same way as before if given another chance. And if it does, hey, thats what the "Delete Forum" button is for. But I digress....I've been spending alot of my forum time on VGChartz(which shows how bored I am :/), though DCEmu has gotten much better then a few months back on activity :P

As for the present....

Shadowprophet.

/(o)(o)\

acn010
January 9th, 2009, 06:37
bbbbooooooooooooooooooobbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzz lolz i love them ha ha... oh and thanks taco