PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Adhoc Quake

cswindle
January 27th, 2006, 23:49
(News by C Swindle)

Hi All

I have been working for a while on getting Quake working in adhoc mode and I have managed to get an initial version working, it is not perfect, but it does work (It is a bit of a hack the way it is currently done, but I have a few things to try out to improve the network play). This was done using Peter Mackay's port as the base code and changing the video functions to use the GU to speed it up a bit to help the network tasks have more time.

I have only tested this using the 2 PSP's so I am not sure how well it will work with more than 2, if you have more than two PSP's to test with then let me know how well it works.

Enjoy

Chris

(Download via comments and please leave feedback)

PSPdemon
January 28th, 2006, 00:01
this is great news!!!!!!!

i have friends who have more than one psp and ill get them to try it out as well.... ill tell you if it works with more than 2 psp's

ill download it as soon as i can we i get on my computer

Your doing great!!!! Keep up the good work...

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

wraggster
January 28th, 2006, 00:03
Wow awesome news for the homebrew scene :)

PeterM
January 28th, 2006, 00:34
Cool! I don't have 2 PSPs or WiFi, so I can't test it out.

Incidentally, what changes did you make to the rendering code to make it faster?

In my work-in-progress version I'm using GU to stretch-blit a 320x200 portion of a texture to the 480x272 screen. It looks ok, and is a lot faster than rendering in 480x272.

It would maybe make sense to consolidate our work and put it in source control or something... what do you think?

Pete

cswindle
January 28th, 2006, 00:48
Hi Pete, I really just added the screen blitting using the GU, in psp_vid.cpp (fairly much just copied the code that I use in SMSPlus to do it). I also changed the control reading function to be CtrlPeek as that does not block to read and is quicker.

I am not sure that at the moment it would be worth merging the code as it will need to be setup so that wifi only gets activated when you need it and shuts down when not required, otherwise it will lead to a drain on battery power. If I get time to sort out some things to make it a bit cleaner then I will let you know and you can decide if you want to include them or not.

Chris

Kaiser
January 28th, 2006, 01:02
Nice work. Loading it on my PSP as I type this. I'll have to call my pals to test it out.

Hiei311
January 28th, 2006, 01:35
Cool! I don't have 2 PSPs or WiFi, so I can't test it out.

wifi is internet AdHoc is close together like gba but no cords

Madonion
January 28th, 2006, 01:52
I cant get it to work.
1.5v psp here.

i Placed Quake & Quake% in psp/game folder. Then got the shareware version and put the idf in the psp/game Quake folder.
Screen stays dark.

(EDIT) Got it working. all i did was switch on the wifi then it didnt show a black screen when loading.

cswindle
January 28th, 2006, 10:15
Just to let everyone know, it looks like I have found a way to reduce the lag from around 1 second (for 8192 bytes) to about 0.06 seconds (in a test program), so hopefully once I integrate that into AdhocQuake it should be a LOT more responsive.

Chris

PeterM
January 28th, 2006, 10:34
Hi Pete, I really just added the screen blitting using the GU, in psp_vid.cpp (fairly much just copied the code that I use in SMSPlus to do it).Is the code available anywhere so I can verify that I'm not doing anything slow in my version?

I also changed the control reading function to be CtrlPeek as that does not block to read and is quicker.Oh, I didn't realise that CtrlRead blocks. I changed my code and indeed gained a couple of FPS. I did some searching on the PSPDev forum about sceCtrlPeekBufferPositive, and apparently sceCtrlReadBufferPositive waits for the VBlank.

I am not sure that at the moment it would be worth merging the code as it will need to be setup so that wifi only gets activated when you need it and shuts down when not required, otherwise it will lead to a drain on battery power. If I get time to sort out some things to make it a bit cleaner then I will let you know and you can decide if you want to include them or not.I'd be very grateful to have any kind of networking support.

Pete

shiftybill
January 28th, 2006, 10:35
cool i cant wait for some deathmatch and co-op perhaps

perhaps there could be a few bots to spice things up or for offline play

cswindle
January 28th, 2006, 11:06
Is the code available anywhere so I can verify that I'm not doing anything slow in my version?

I'd be very grateful to have any kind of networking support.

Pete

The code is included in the ZIP file, however you can speed it up by not using double buffering and take out the call to WaitVblank as it seems that something else is doing it. Also if you do change it then you can remove the hack to redraw the entire sceen (in screen.c). I have not really looked into improving the speed, I do think that this will need to be done so that we can run the code without overclocking (which really helps out battery life when using wifi).

Chris

pspfan
January 29th, 2006, 02:06
Pretty awesome but will it work on 2.0? Anyone tried it?

rex45
January 29th, 2006, 14:41
hi, the game sounds cool, i d/l quake106 but theres no ID1 folder.
theres only deice.exe, install.bat,resource.1 and resource.dat.
please help!

PeterM
January 29th, 2006, 20:17
Try running install.bat.

rex45
January 30th, 2006, 01:19
nope, i get an error that basicly says that windos cant run MS-DOS files
is there a windos verson?

PeterM
January 30th, 2006, 01:36
Ok, I think PacManFan's version of Quake comes with the necessary files.

http://home.comcast.net/~shernandez1337/

rex45
January 31st, 2006, 11:26
thankx, it works now!!!
cool game :D

retsul
March 19th, 2006, 05:45
I just installed this app, and when I go to launch it ,it goes black and in red writing it says "w_loadwadfile: couldnt load gfx.wad". I can get most other apps to work, ... please help I need my quake fix

PeterM
March 19th, 2006, 10:36
Try this:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78216&highlight=w_loadwadfile#post78216