PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Contemplating Psp Rival

wraggster
January 28th, 2006, 00:54
News from C&VG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=133255)

Rumours of a Microsoft-backed portable gaming system have been doing the rounds since before God decided he'd have a go at fixing the dodgy tap in the kitchen himself and managed to flood everything (thank Heavens for that Ark, eh?). Now though, Peter Moore has further ruffled the feathers of speculators by commenting on such a device. According to an article in Business Week, the magazine has learned that Microsoft is seriously considering producing its own portable media device, designed to rival Apple's iPod music and video player. At this point, it seems that the project is still in the very early stages, with Microsoft only recently assigning a team to investigate the business potential of such an undertaking.

So far, so unrelated to games then. However, Microsoft exec Peter Moore told Business Week, "It can't just be our version of the iPod." Additionally, Moore states that, "I think the [Xbox] brand is an opportunity." It doesn't take a monkey to realise that the Xbox brand could play a key role in leveraging sales of such a Microsoft-developed portable system. What's more, it's not unreasonable to envisage a handheld machine that plays games alongside music and videos, if tied into the Xbox product line - placing it in direct competition with Sony's PSP. Despite the very early stages of such a project - if Business Week's sources are accurate - the news could be the clearest indication yet of Microsoft's bid to enter the lucrative market currently dominated by Nintendo and Sony.

lilvietquoc
January 28th, 2006, 01:28
just a word of advise for Microsoft if they really are gonna do this....-BUILT IN HDD!-

NeoXCS
January 28th, 2006, 01:50
Ugg, I dont want microsoft squeezing into another market they dont belong in. :mad:

slayer2psp
January 28th, 2006, 02:20
what do you mean they dont belong you got money want to make something do it im all for it becuse you know power wise it will smoke everything

NeoXCS
January 28th, 2006, 02:51
Smoke everything... that is only an assumption of its power, but yeah power wise probably will. Thats the advantage of comming out last though.

lilvietquoc
January 28th, 2006, 03:58
more power wud be a must
since its last in the game
ppl will probly not buy it-maybe a year later tho
but it shud aim more to an older age person gadget (since they have the money to actually purchase it) rather than a 8 or 10 year old like the ds
im guessin that y the psp had more purchases than ds-since the older people woudld rather listen to music and watch movies than poke at a screen!

xuphorz
January 28th, 2006, 04:23
if they somehow get a protable with even 1/2 the power of xbox in a portable, then protable emualtion will get a major boost

so_cal_forever
January 28th, 2006, 04:33
They have the opportunity to do with this what Sony should've done with the PSP: Call on ATI or Nvidia to create a powerful, discrete GPU.

Zephyroth_drgs
January 28th, 2006, 05:44
sh*t more M$ crap...

miemt11
January 28th, 2006, 06:19
will it call Xbox Portable or XP in short

Game Collector
January 28th, 2006, 06:49
And if it is anything like the wonderful design of the crapbox, you'll need a suitcase to carry it around in.

shadowprophet
January 28th, 2006, 07:39
If there is any truth to this, This is big news.
If anybody can pull somthing like this off its microsoft.

Most people are thinking hand held market.
And maybe thats what you should be thinking.

But there is literaly no telling what this thing will be capible of once it actuelly becomes a reality.

I mean lets face it not only does microsoft have the money to pull this off.
They have the knowlage. (think palm top and notepad computers)
Well. I can only assume. It wont be open source.
But imagine, This thing. Depending on how they do this could potentialy be a great device. And I for one am not opposed to it If it turns out to be great.
I say bring it on. im ready to try somthing new:D

*heres to hopeing it will be completely open source *cheers
Yeah yeah I know it wont be but we can always dream:o
I say hell yeah dont fear progress embrace it.
I mean come on, yeah the psp cost a pretty penny. But seriously whos still feeling that? Im ready to try somthing new anyway :rolleyes:

Voltron
January 28th, 2006, 14:00
This is in fact big news. But from a giant like Microsoft, not terribly suprising. Sure, it sounds appealing and technologically it will likely be a mini powerhouse. I'm all for it. Although by the time this becomes a reality, Sony will no doubt have another iteration of its PSP (PSP2) and Nintendo may even have another handheld out as well. Its painful thinking about a future time where I will be putting my PSP to rest in favor of "newer and better".

This original PSP will live on........... If Sony does come out with "PSP2" it will surely be tighter locked and homebrew will likely never be as great as it currently is on the PSP. This also goes for Microsoft's device. SO the PSP we know and love today will likely still remain a favorite amidst any "newer and better" devices due to all it can due thanks to homebrew.

In a Perfect world, Sony & Microsoft would leave a door open for homebrew on their new devices which will only open up another niche and help sales.

r00t
January 28th, 2006, 15:24
will it call Xbox Portable or XP in short

haha. Nice one that made me chuckle.

You know its the truth though, Mister Gates will wlk onto the stage carting a wheelbarrow behind him "BEHOLD, NEXTGEN PORTABLE GAMING" Pull off the veil covering the wheelbarrow.....an Xbox with a TV ductaped to it, new logo "The Microsoft XP"

SSaxdude
January 28th, 2006, 18:12
The Xbox 360 is great, so why won't a portable Xbox be good? Sure, you all don't like Microsoft, but Sony isn't any better (actually worse.) Plus, I bet it would use DVDs, not crappy UMDs.

Zephyroth_drgs
January 28th, 2006, 22:17
The Xbox 360 is great, so why won't a portable Xbox be good? Sure, you all don't like Microsoft, but Sony isn't any better (actually worse.) Plus, I bet it would use DVDs, not crappy UMDs.

well if u think that maybe u dont know the true history of M$, many newbs(not u), think that all M$ is great, but many of his "new" stuff is just copy of something else, or put a pc in a ugly box and call it a console... iknow sony some times act this way too, but at least, they give alwas some good quality products, and if u think that xbox is better than ps2 or GQ, well i cant say u a thing every body can think what they want, but just look at the games, i think that ps2 and cube is above xbox only cuz the games...
if there is a portable console of M$ coming, i think it wont be a great invention, may just "many of anything" , difficult to be better than xcelent game play of DS , the very sexy and beautiful look of a PSP, or good and potential as a GPX2 :rolleyes:

shadowprophet
January 28th, 2006, 22:39
I dont have the time and you guys dont have the patience for the full story.
So here it is in a nut shell.

A college guy broke as a joke. and his friend decide to make somthing that will make computers more people friendly.
So they write an operating system.
The origenal creator of the concept of windows.
Was actuelly the brain child of the founder of appel computers.
However bill gates, Saw this an an opertunity. To rob the other guy blind steal his ideas and get the hell out of dodge.
when everything had come full circle.
Bill gates had apearently stolen *cough,, created the revolutanary world changeing windows software..
anyway In a nut shell after bill gates got mega rich from stealing his ideas for windows from other people (as if that wanst enough).
He wanted to steal every good idea in the buisness. and make it property of microsoft... This monopoly has even been recognized by many of the governments across the entire world, bill gates has even went head on aginst these governments in court and won, Becuase his bank account knows no limates....

Basicly bill gates is the digital worlds equal fo the anti christ...
Dont believe me check around.
Sure it was condenced.. But there you have it the general mythology behind the anti chr* I mean the general mythology behind bill gates :p

so_cal_forever
January 29th, 2006, 03:43
Wow, you dont know Bill Gates too well. I'd expect that kind of behavior out of a money grubbing bastard, but not a good spirit like Gates. Any corporate exec who plans on giving every dime he's received to charity is... well, the anti-exec in a sense. Now, could people under him have been phishing ideas from others? Quite possible. Could Gates himself have been doing it? Possible, but not probable. Don't judge Gates, judge MS. It may be his baby, but the kid's grown a mind of it's own.

xuphorz
January 29th, 2006, 04:04
shadow, your posts are always unusually long. not that i complaining, your one of the only non-lazy person here.

anyway, i kinda wantr them to make one, imagine a protable online halo!

Zephyroth_drgs
January 29th, 2006, 04:52
i agree totally with shadowprophet, and... xuphors... u know that halo is just another case of "stealing big idea?" i know many M$ fans luv halo n that, i dont want to ofend them but just wondering know on what game is "based" ( not saying COPIED or CLONED) halo?.

any ways, just lets play...but im not taking any M$ crap.

shadowprophet
January 29th, 2006, 05:34
Wow, you dont know Bill Gates too well. I'd expect that kind of behavior out of a money grubbing bastard, but not a good spirit like Gates. Any corporate exec who plans on giving every dime he's received to charity is... well, the anti-exec in a sense. Now, could people under him have been phishing ideas from others? Quite possible. Could Gates himself have been doing it? Possible, but not probable. Don't judge Gates, judge MS. It may be his baby, but the kid's grown a mind of it's own.

Seriously bro Gates has spent more money telling people about all the money hes give to charity then the amout he has actuelly given lol :p

shadow, your posts are always unusually long. not that i complaining, your one of the only non-lazy person here.

anyway, i kinda wantr them to make one, imagine a protable online halo!

Thats because im a pretty fast typer.
Not that it doesnt show tho concidering theres usualy more then a few typos in most of my posts.

seriously, it even freks me out how fast I can type.
but normaly these posts I put up generaly dont take any longer to post then most other peoples, so I figure why not get the most point across in the same amount of time :p

chrisrulz555
January 29th, 2006, 08:42
Ok the idea from Halo came from Marathon, a game Bungie made themselves so what are you gonna say now? They stole their own idea? Also Gates stole from Apple which stole from Xerox or in other words "What goes around, comes around."