PDA

View Full Version : Mario Power Tennis Controls Detailed

wraggster
January 7th, 2009, 18:26
Nintendo revealed a while back that the New Play Control version of Mario Power Tennis would be receiving a fresh control update. Just a week before the Japanese release, the company has gotten specific, with an official website detailing the controls.

For those who don't read the Nihongo, here's the lowdown on how you perform all the shots. Mostly, your motions with the Wiimote mimic what you'd do with a real racket.

Serve
Swing the Wiimote from down to up to toss the ball up, then swing to serve.

Top Spin
Swing from lower right to upper left for forehand. Reverse for a backhand.

Slice Spin
Swing from upper right to lower left for forehand. Reverse for backhand.

Flat Shot
Swing from right to left for a forehand. Reverse for a backhand.

Lob
Swing the Wiimote from down to up.

Drop
Swing the Wiimote from up to down.

Smash
When presented with a smash opportunity, a star will appear on the court. Move your character over the star, then swing up to down to perform a smash.

Outside of these standard tennis moves, each character has access to individual special shots. These are performed through button combinations.

As previously announced, there's a big difference between Mario Power Tennis and the Wii Spots tennis game. In Mario Power Tennis, you can use the Nunchuck to manually move your player around. This is just optional, though, and those who simply want to swing can opt for auto movement.

Those who are hoping for standard button controls may or may not be out of luck. We're actually not sure if the moment if the game will support play through the Classic Controller. The official site only states that the game cannot be played with GameCube controllers.

We've added new screenshots of the Wii version of Mario Power Tennis to our media gallery. In addition to the screens, we'd suggest heading to the official site and attempting to navigate the Japanese for small video clips showing the individual special shots.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/942/942198p1.html

royvedas
January 7th, 2009, 19:45
Am I the only one who thinks Nintendo is getting lazy? Release a new iteration with new stages, character and gameplay mechanics alltogether - NOW!

goshogun1
January 7th, 2009, 20:27
Am I the only one who thinks Nintendo is getting lazy? Release a new iteration with new stages, character and gameplay mechanics alltogether - NOW!

I usually try and defend Nintendo, but seriously, this re-releasing of Gamecube games is super lazy! I mean, the amount of good Wii games in 2008 was pathetic IMO. Why release the same game with new wii controls, when you could release a totally new game?