PDA

View Full Version : Linux?

LilSwish722
January 7th, 2009, 19:19
I'm thinking of installing Linux on my laptop. It's a brand new Gateway with 4GB RAM and a 250GB HDD with Windows Vista SP1. I'd like to dual boot it too. Is there any advantage to running Linux and can it be uninstalled if I don't like it? Also, what's the best version and is it really even worth it?

TacticalBread
January 8th, 2009, 03:54
Is there any advantage to running Linux
check out this thread:
http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/f147/56k-warning-linux-features-that-you-may-have-t218955/

can it be uninstalled if I don't like it?

try this: http://wubi-installer.org/

Also, what's the best version
for new users, Ubuntu is the best.

and is it really even worth it?

oh yes.

Darksaviour69
January 8th, 2009, 04:17
my vista laptop recently crash during a vista update and would not reboot and the repair thingy did not work. And me being a clever lad, I never did any back ups or anything like that. After talkin to quzar and pspdemon (on #dcemuuk on freenode, look it up people! ) I burned Ubuntu on to a cd, and booted it (from the disc, no install need but it slower to load) so I could copy of all my files on to my external HD, before I did a "restore to factory" thing. I have always wanted to try linux and I have to say I'm impressed, it ran better that vista and that was off a CD. I might now install Ubuntu to my old pc (6 years old) see how it goes for day to day stuff, and maybe some day i'll have to balls to switch for good!

edit: one feature i liked about Ubuntu was tabbed windows browsing, simple idea, but so handy

TacticalBread
January 8th, 2009, 05:16
I used only Linux for a few months, the only reason I still had Windows being games, but I'm playing more games now, so I'm using Windows more.

as far as I'm concerned, that's the only thing Windows has on Linux. Games.

ICE
January 8th, 2009, 05:26
I used only Linux for a few months, the only reason I still had Windows being games, but I'm playing more games now, so I'm using Windows more.

as far as I'm concerned, that's the only thing Windows has on Linux. Games.

I agree.

LilSwish722
January 8th, 2009, 16:21
So, what you guys are saying is, I'm not going to be disappointed in it if I do it? Well, I'm going to try it, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I'm running Linux Ubuntu now. It's weird, and I don't think I'm going to like it. Any suggestions.