PDA

View Full Version : wifi, confusin as hel(L), someone help lol

cbrown
January 28th, 2006, 04:31
well hey guys whats up, could someone help me set up my internet broswer thing on my psp, i need an internet connection so i can use certain apps, so if u can help, plz do :)

cloud_952
January 28th, 2006, 05:02
First and foremost, do you have a wireless network? If you don't have a wireless network, you need to go somewhere that does (public universities, public colleges, public libraries). From there, go under the system options (in the menu, the left-most choice) and go to "Network", or something like that. From there, you can select "Ad-Hoc" or "Infrastructure". Obviously, you want the second one.

Name the connection, then go through the menus. I suggest you let it autoscan and select the best options for everything. Assuming there aren't any passwords or anything, just go through everything, make sure that the slider switch on the left-hand side of the PSP is up (so wifi is one), then let it try to connect to test the connection.

If there's anything in specific you don't understand, post up the info and what it is you're not sure on. More details are better.

cbrown
January 28th, 2006, 05:44
i have a linksys router in my house that i use to get internet in my room, it doesnt have any security, i dont kno if that would work tho, ive gone thru all that stuff before

cloud_952
January 28th, 2006, 06:18
Aah.. your problem might be that your router is broadcasting in G mode (the newer, improved standard that is pretty much better all the way around). The PSP can only accept wireless B signals. What you need to do is go into the router settings and either change it to B, or put your router into "Mixed mode", which will broadcast in both B and G.

At least, that's most likely the problem if your PSP isn't able to pick up the router, or some other odd issue.

As a side note.. I highly advise that you DO secure your router. It's not exactly good to be broadcasting internet and a way into your home network like that. ^_^;

cbrown
January 28th, 2006, 21:02
oo damn, my router is wireless-g, well thats what it sez on the router, and my dlink sez that too, would i still be able to change it or do i have to buy one specifically for my psp?

yaustar
January 28th, 2006, 21:38
You can go into the settings so it can broadcast in B and G modes at the same time. Please refer to the routers instruction manual.

And while you at it, cloud_952 is right, secure your wireless network with WEP and a MAC filter at least.

cbrown
January 29th, 2006, 00:02
thanks guys, i woudl go and set the router now, but my mom is bein a bz, so i have to wait for her to leev the house so i can set it, why do i have to set a encryption?