PDA

View Full Version : UK PSP game sales collapsed in 2008

wraggster
January 7th, 2009, 21:44
It will likely be looked back on as the golden peak year of this console cycle - during 2008 sales of consoles, games and peripherals grew strongly in the UK. The total value of all three sectors was just over £4 billion, up a massive 23 percent year-on-year.

Of course, it makes sense if you think about the boom sales of consoles such as Wii, price cuts to Xbox 360 and Sony starting to build its marketing momentum for PlayStation 3.

Things weren't so rosy for PSP however, which performed only just a little bit better than the fast collapsing PC games market.

A total of 4.1 million PSP games were sold in 2008, compared to 5.6 million during 2007; a decline of 27 per cent. Indeed, the value of those sales dropped slightly more, from £111 million in 2007 to £70 million in 2008; down a rather staggering 36 per cent.

It all suggests Sony has now lost the battle to encourage thirdparty publishers to bring their big licenses and franchises to PSP.

Apart from EA's rescheduled Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Square Enix's Star Ocean: Second Evolution and Capcom's Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, the console's line of 'big' games is currently looking remarkably bare. (Although we do have top Sony product in the shape of Patapon 2 and Resistance: Retribution to look forward to.)

The high price of the UMD format is certainly one reason for this lack of enthusiasm. Maybe it's time to open up the PlayStation Store to developers in the manner that's been so refreshing to see with Apple's App Store for iPod touch and iPhone?

There's no such soul searching for Nintendo though with DS accounting for 19 per cent of total UK game sales, the third largest after Wii and Xbox 360.

A total of 19.1 million DS games were sold in 2008, up 28 per cent on 2007's total. In terms of revenue, in 2008 the DS software market was worth £366 million, up 17 per cent compared to 2007.

This does mean that the average price of a DS game dropped 9 per cent from £21.07 to £19.16 though; something that will have publishers' accountants double-checking their development and marketing budgets for DS games during 2009. A lower average price obviously means less income for them.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/PSP+Slim+%26+Lite/news.asp?c=10822

Buddy4point0
January 7th, 2009, 21:48
Everywhere PSP game sales sucked for 2008.
There were only a few good games.

jamotto
January 7th, 2009, 23:19
I wish I had enough money to buy all the titles that I wanted that came out in 2008.

KingPepper
January 7th, 2009, 23:28
Its obviously Piracy is scaring the big name developers from making the AAA Titles for our PSP's.

Have you noticed that this line says it all : "Things weren't so rosy for PSP however, which performed only just a little bit better than the fast collapsing PC games market."

Both Systems are pirated that's why they are Collapsing, simple as that.

Justise
January 7th, 2009, 23:53
40 euros for an average game are way to much. Dispite having CFW, i'm still buying my PSP games original, yet most of them are bad ports of old game, or at best average new ones.
If they are going to make a port of an old game, at least they should try and make it better than the original. If they are going to make new game, they should never try and give you any control of the camera.

DCergo
January 8th, 2009, 05:02
Its obviously Piracy is scaring the big name developers from making the AAA Titles for our PSP's.

Have you noticed that this line says it all : "Things weren't so rosy for PSP however, which performed only just a little bit better than the fast collapsing PC games market."

I have to disagree somewhat. Piracy is far more rampant on the DS platform, and its titles tend to be smaller in size and therefore more accessible to the casual user (web, irc, usenet) - it's everywhere. It's a joke to buy a flash cart and fill it up if you wanted to do so. Piracy on the PSP is more complicated and not nearly as accessible to the casual user.

dejkirkby
January 8th, 2009, 08:33

What an incredibly blinded statement.
DS Piracy is way more widespread than PSP piracy, such that a whole industry is set up around flash cards and such. The problem lays at the doors of Sony for the lack of support and the idiotic UMD format.

Qmark
January 8th, 2009, 08:58
Really, exactly what titles have been worth buying?
There's not a whole lot if titles exclusive to the system, with PSP mostly being a "me too!!" platform getting a shitty port of whatever appears on PS3 and/or X360.