PDA

View Full Version : Which Firmware is the best to own and why

wraggster
January 28th, 2006, 09:30
Out of all the Different firmwares that have been released for the PSP which is the one that gives you the best balance of gaming and homebrew or just homebrew if you arent interested in gaming as much.

Heres the options:

v1.0
v1.5
v1.52 (ugh)
v2.0
v2.01
v2.5
v2.6

So which is your favourite firmware ?

For me i have 2 PSPs a V1.0 and v2.6 so im fairly lucky in the respect that i can play the latest games and play the best homebrew too, which are your favourites ?

Nono-O
January 28th, 2006, 10:12
Firmware 1.5 is the best

shiftybill
January 28th, 2006, 10:31
I had v2.0 for about a day then i downgraded and never looked back :D

So... 1.5 rulz

Ichijoe
January 28th, 2006, 10:32
I toss my Vote for v2.00. Fanjitas' EBoot loader Rulz!

miemt11
January 28th, 2006, 10:39
Hmmmmm. 1.50 easy too. and less headache

DraconumPB
January 28th, 2006, 10:46
2.00 is good for people who like GTA such as myself... there are a FEW things I'd like to downgrade for.. but weighing the pros and cons of that. I play GTA alot now...

To be honest, since getting GTA i don't play emu anymore, i can amuse myself almost endlessly with it, heh.

satoshi
January 28th, 2006, 11:55

You can do Whatever you want with this Firmware. Play the best homebrews, just need to select GAME menu and press X. Can Play ISO Games [Sorry for that but... that's an advantage...] and even play AVC videos, access internet and use Location Free (Using Firmware Loader).

So, Why am I going to update my PSP? If I have all that 2.5 can offer using Firmware loader [2.6 I Guess it's not compatible YET]

gavind
January 28th, 2006, 12:01

Can Play ISO Games [Sorry for that but... that's an advantage...] and even play AVC videos, access internet and use Location Free (Using Firmware Loader).

I agree its better for ISO Games but only legal backups and if I could play GTA on my 1.5 I would have no reason to want to upgrade.

However, if I could play the legal backups on a 2.00 and use all apps and homebrew on it I would upgrade.

One last thing, if your wondering why im saying play legal backups its because I have the games but trying to play World Snooker with the loading times is just too frustrating and uses a lot of battery therefore playing from memory stick just cuts out all that loading and battery time and makes the game more enjoyable when its faster

Sanka
January 28th, 2006, 12:13
Hi Ya,

I still have a couple of Jap 1.51 in My Shop!

for that month or two that they existed We got loads in stock.

Sanka

GameSharkGX
January 28th, 2006, 12:39

if you dont use iso's the change wont hurt you
2.0 has a better browser then fired up, and can download stuff.

When my pc got hacked.
my 2.0 psp saved me by downloading zonealarm

2.0 & eboot loader rools

mondy
January 28th, 2006, 13:13
Depends if you are coding for psp-oss or not. Since i am 1.5 is the way to go atm :P

Voltron
January 28th, 2006, 13:29
Since the thread is about which Firmware offers the most BALANCE, I gotta say my favorite and what I have been using for months is Firmware 2.0. This of course if thanks to Fanjita (http://www.fanjita.org) and the TIFF exploit.

I can experience all the emulation goodness of the PSP and enjoy 2.0 games such as GTA, Socom, Popolocrois, Legend of Heroes, & Kingdom of Paradise. Soon Y's Arc of Napishtim will be out as well.

Also, the Web Browser works (rarely used however), custom wallpapers, and the AVC video support is a big bonus.

I gotta say that PSP-OSS and Firmware Launcher are really tempting. If there are ever advancements which truly unlock all of the PSP's features at firmware 1.5 I will surely downgrade.

I have also been thinking about getting a 2nd PSP to have the ultimate balance. Those ceramic white PSP's are calling my name :-)

Madonion
January 28th, 2006, 14:20

You can do Whatever you want with this Firmware. Play the best homebrews, just need to select GAME menu and press X. Can Play ISO Games [Sorry for that but... that's an advantage...] and even play AVC videos, access internet and use Location Free (Using Firmware Loader).

So, Why am I going to update my PSP? If I have all that 2.5 can offer using Firmware loader [2.6 I Guess it's not compatible YET]

Yep i agree with you there!. 1.5v owns! :D

flingo
January 28th, 2006, 14:36
I think fmw 1.5 is ideal to run any homebrews but not for games. fmw 2.0 is close to run the whole homebrews with Fanjitas 's work and run games. I agree with voltron, fmw 2.0 has a good balance between homebrews and games. I go for my psp 2.0

aries2k4
January 28th, 2006, 15:04
I would have to say FW 1.5, with 2.0 coming in a very close second. They both have their pros and cons, depends what your using your psp for. But I guess either firmware is just as good because you can always upgrade or downgrade. lol

LazerTag
January 28th, 2006, 15:41
Well I'd have to say 1.5 firmware. I bought my PSP mainly with the idea of using emulators, but also for gaming in general. Now that I have played some PSP games (yes GTA as well) I can see that emulators are by far more fun for me. The real PSP games leave a lot to be desired IMHO.

slayer2psp
January 28th, 2006, 16:44
1.50 Is the best it runs all the homebrew stuff but in my opion you need two psp one for homebrew and one for the retail stuff like i have
one 1.50 and one 2.50 just love my psp's

Shiaoran
January 28th, 2006, 17:35
the simpler, the better.(for those who can't afford many games XP )

iniquitous_beast
January 28th, 2006, 18:20
I only really use the exploit for emulators anyway. They run fine with fanjita's exploit. The commercial games of tomorrow, the homebrew of today, 2.00 baby, all the way.

Xan
January 28th, 2006, 18:44
2.0 + Eboot loader + nes emus= good.
And allways i can downgrade to 1.5.

IndianCheese
January 28th, 2006, 19:06
Well, thats a dumb question. It depends on what you look for.

Homebrew - 1.00
Videos - 2.60
Music - 2.60
Pictures - 2.00
Internet - 2.60
Games - 2.00
Ad Hoc file sharing - 2.00 (PSpoofer)

not here anymore
January 28th, 2006, 19:41
If people knew how fast homebrew loads on 1.0, we would have a 1.50 > 1.0 downgrader. A shame for us 1.0 users that Humma and MPH only had a 1.50 to make their apps for.
Later,

TSR

Corona
January 28th, 2006, 20:11
1.5 for now, but as soon as Worms comes out for PSP, I will no longer care about firmware versions.
So unless if SNES and PS1 emus are working at full capacity by then, then I'll get the highest firmware version required to play Worms.
WORMS RULES!

Greenskull
January 28th, 2006, 20:19

you get the web browser and backround features and you can run newer games. Can't argue there

TrumpetNemo
January 28th, 2006, 20:47
2.0 for Grand Theft Auto!

T-2000
January 28th, 2006, 21:23
does it do neocd , dgen, sms, atari st emus, i know i should check but a quick reply would be great..

shadowprophet
January 28th, 2006, 21:43
Lets face it.
Homebrew is great.
But the greatest thing that ever happend on psp homebrew, Snes tyl .
Works on a 2.0 anyway.
Plus. As good as homebrew is, the day will come when you will want to do somthing more with your psp.
Thats why I think 2.0 offers the most flexibility right now. :D
Besides. socom forced me to.
And I was so pleased with the results when it did, I just never went back.

Ps. If it wasnt for fanjita tho, I would have probibly went back.(although I have heard of roumers of people bricking there psps by downgrading)
But since I for the most part still have homebrew. plus I am able to play my newer titles. And have a pretty spiffy web browser, Im good where im at:D

Entichron
January 28th, 2006, 22:51
1.5 through and through. While it has it's limitations, I'm expecting that a lot of work will go into a hacked version of 1.5 to allow for upgraded features and the playing of supposedly firmware restricted games.

shadowprophet
January 28th, 2006, 23:02
1.5 through and through. While it has it's limitations, I'm expecting that a lot of work will go into a hacked version of 1.5 to allow for upgraded features and the playing of supposedly firmware restricted games.

firmware restricted games?

Theres a reson. socom and gta wont work on a 1.50.
There are elements in the newer firmware that just arnt preasent in the older versions.
sure lord of the rings could work ona 1.5
But gta and socom call upon and use elements presnet in the newer firmware versions thats just arnt present in the older versions.

And as for a hacked entire firmware version. Yeah I believe its possible. But its a long long way off. what your dreaming of hasnt even been atempted yet. What were messing with now are exploits. Hacked frimware versions right now is just a pipe dream,, sadly :(

caseyhalone
January 28th, 2006, 23:25
how much better is the browser on a 2.6? mine was 2.0 just for awhile when the downgrader came out, now I am at 1.5 again. I haven't been using it as much as I did when I got it and been thinking of getting a gp2x in its place, if they ever get the battery life up.

anyway, 1.5 for easy use of homebrew microbrews.

shadowprophet
January 28th, 2006, 23:30
Is not improved any.
The only updates to it is that in 2.6 it supports chinese fonts and some other launguages.
Its basicly the same browser thats in 2.0

.:PSP1.0:.
January 29th, 2006, 01:41
I've got the best of both worlds... oops i mean 3 worlds lol I love my PSP's! :D

satoshi
January 29th, 2006, 02:08
I Guess it's useless to compare 1.5 and 2.0. 1.5 is better, because you can run 2.0 on 1.5 PSPs, so, if you say "2.0 is the best firmware", you are meaning that 1.5 is the best firmware, too.

So, you can use a 1.5 PSP to load 2.0 firmware and play SOCOM and GTA UMD...

So, the question is, "Which Firmware is the best to own: 1.5 or 2.6?" and not 1.5 or 2.0

shadowprophet
January 29th, 2006, 02:21
To be honest. ive never tried to load the the 2.0 firmware on a 1.5
I just updated.
However if im not mistaken.
loading the 2.0 firmware on a 1.5 psp.
isnt as stable as just haveing the 2.0 firmware.
Ive also heard the browser support through that method is severly lacking along with other issues.
Then ive also heard. loading contstant firmware updates through that method can also brick a psp. So I only mess with somthing that dangerous- rarely.
No cling to your own opinion, But I repeat my own statement,
2.0 in my opinion, True 2.0 is the best firmware.
At least in my book:D

Gamelver
January 29th, 2006, 04:44
I'd have to say 2.0 is the best, since you've got all the new commercial games to play (well, the good ones like GTA, at least :P), and there's a ton of homebrew for it also. and if you want, there's always the possibility to downgrade.

I, of course, technically own both V1.5 and V2.0, since my brother never plays his 2.0 one anyway. Hombrew and old games on my 1.5, and newer games on the 2.0. I must say, it kicks ass :D.

crazy_biker420
January 29th, 2006, 14:10
1.0 is the best

Addictedd
January 29th, 2006, 14:27
unfortunately i have 2.6 :(

but i'd say 2.0 is the best, because of fanjita!

lowride
January 29th, 2006, 15:06
If I load a 2.0 on a 1.5, can I use the browser for sure? I know i'd be able to play SOCOM so thats good, but with WIFI and online too?

Does anyone know whether this method would brick the PSP as Shadowpuppet has heard?

shadowprophet
January 29th, 2006, 22:42
ITS S-H-A-D-O-W-P-R-O-P-H-E-@ FREAKEN-T

SHADOWPROPHET, say it with me.
shadowprophet.
secondly, I have said it could brick a psp.
I Didnt say it will every time.

Thirdly. all homebrew holds the potential to harm your psp if you dont know what your doing.
Thats why its a try at your own risk kind of thing.
Anything you do with your psp thats not licsned by sony is not covered in the warrente. Therefore if you harm it by trying certain things with it. Sony wont cover that.

And yes I have heard of people bricking there psp. by upgradeing/ downgradeing too often. and by useing certain firmware loaders.

Shadowprophet.
not shadowpuppet.
If I cared the least little bit.
that would have most likely urked me a little:p

But since I could care less, where all kewl.

dranny69
March 5th, 2006, 10:06
i have just bought a v2.0 is it possible to put legal backed up iso s on to my 2gig memory stick or do i need to downgrade?????

niboR86
March 5th, 2006, 11:26
@ Dranny69

No it is not possible to do something like this with 2.0 PSP. You have to downgrade (see here) (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57435&postcount=1) and then use something like Fastloader or UMD Emulator to RIP and PLAY your ISO's.

D0N
March 5th, 2006, 15:56
I got 2 PSP's.
One of them is 1.50 and the other is 2.60
YAY!
Best of both worlds lol :D

D0N
March 5th, 2006, 15:57
So i say i like both.

benh
March 7th, 2006, 20:07
i would say that 2.6 is the best firmware 2 own because u get all the latest features but plus in the update but if u still want 2 run homebrew u can with fanjitas new brown ale eboot loader

LC_killer
March 7th, 2006, 23:09
for homebrew i think 2.0 is the best, the only part i dont have and want is ir, so i can use the remote programs out. but im saving up for a new psp. So I will have 1.5 when I downgrade, and a 2.6 when i get the new one. that way I can play the best homebrew, and the newest psp games. i will also be able to play 2 player on games with gameshare(dont like iso's, and i dont want to get two copys of game).