PDA

View Full Version : Quake II PSP - Second Patch

wraggster
January 28th, 2006, 14:37
McZonk (http://teamemergencyexit.blogspot.com/) the winner of the 2nd PSP 30 Day Coding Competition (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp30codingcomp2.shtml) has released a new version of his Quake 2 port to the PSP, heres the details:

"I still have stress with my exams but on my spare time I still love coding. So I have not time to finish real new features. But I improved Quake II a lot. So here is the second patch:

Changes:
- graphic and game bug fixes, should run more stable
- 333 mhz support
- on screen keyboard (press left trigger in input mode of console or on text fields).
- player name is now saveable

There is still no sound, no multiplayer (I saw Quake 1 has adhoc now, I'll add it to after exams), no full singleplayer and no 2.0 or higher support.

Download via comments, please give feedback.

Jman0708
January 28th, 2006, 16:06
yoo mczonk if ur reading this i would like to ask you if you can add multiple player modlels (cause the only ones i can use is grunt scout and sumthign elsse for male and i would LOVE to have diff names(ex. male, female, (and custom models))

but ne ways i love your quake2 port.!.!.!.!

Sharkey
January 28th, 2006, 22:29
Awesome, nice update man. thanx mczonk, keep up the great work!!

Jman0708
January 29th, 2006, 04:14
another thing mczonk, i would love to ask a question .. im makign my cs wad forquake (comign out GREAT!) and wen i try to load it on quake2 demo it says pics/colormap.pcx cannot be located wne i use a explorer its rite there in the pak can you tell me will the same error hapend when it can work on psp or will it just work?

Jman0708
January 29th, 2006, 04:45
Another problem omfg..... mczonk wen i put a custom gun in it is a gun but no texture why..

McZonk
January 29th, 2006, 07:33
It is just a beta. I cannot help with mod building at the moment.
And you made something wrong. Because the guy mad the maps for me already loaded other weapon models successfully.

MadMonkee
January 29th, 2006, 12:05
Nice work McZonk. I can't wait for the final version.

Be3f
March 22nd, 2006, 13:05
There were no news on this port since February, But devoloper has made some updates for other PSP projects. Is the port still being developing, and what are the news? Also, can anyone decsribe how to run Singleplayer maps, as it was done here? : http://www.teamemergencyexit.com/2006/02/quake-ii-psp-just-notice.html

nexus one
March 23rd, 2006, 10:39
I think they are just taking their time. It's not forgotten...

Single Player maps aren't working on any public versions yet. Maybe they are making them work for the new version, and thats why it's taking so long (just speculation).

archronos
March 23rd, 2006, 20:31
sweet job, can;t wait to see the final result

nomi
March 27th, 2006, 14:47
i have a question! when i tried to put this on my psp it wont work. it says unable to run psp game and this is where i placed my files: X/PSP/Game/quake2/baseq2/and other files including eboot.pbp. and then the same with the quake2% except without baseq2. I also tried putting the eboot outside the baseq and also tried putting baseq in the root of the mem stick! it DOESNT WORK!!! PLZ HELP ME!

wolfpack
April 5th, 2006, 01:40
hmm... will this guy ever leave another update? im starting to think this project is... forgotten... that would really suck if it is.

Sharkey
April 5th, 2006, 23:05
hmm... will this guy ever leave another update? im starting to think this project is... forgotten... that would really suck if it is.

Its been awhile since we have heard anything, I wouldn't say forgotten, but maybe given up?

daibo
April 5th, 2006, 23:35
He's taking a break of 4 months due to college graduation work. Stated in psp-arena.de, a german board.

Be3f
April 25th, 2006, 17:11
Yeesss!!! I've ran Q2DM1 map (The Edge) on Quake2-PSP beta2 port!!!
First, ripped .pak - deleted everything non-used by q2dm1 from .pak and put Q2DM1 at the top of the map list (I mean, simply replaced test2.bsp with q2dm1.bsp in the list =)). Than, renamed pak file to pak1.pak and put it in the beseq2 folder on psp. Final size of the ripped pak1.pak is 8.2Mb! Now starting singeplayer new game loads q2dm1! P). The map looks Great on PSP and rans smooth on 333Mhz (on 222 framerate is about 14-20 - also very playable, but not smooth)
But not everything is allright: game freezes after few (5-20) seconds; lighting doesn't work - it's simple fullbrite, no lightmap prerenders & no dynamic lights; many bugs with polygon clipping; water & skybox also don't work (they are not visualised at all)... but it works and make me believe in the Greate future of Quake 2 deathmatch on PSP, so we all are waiting for McZonk arriving from colledge practice! ;)
Q2DM1 is a part of commercial Quake 2 version, so, I think, it won't be good, if I upload it anywhere. Also, you must be able to ran the map by using original (non ripped, as my) commercial pak file - simply copy it on MemoryStick, run Q2, bring down the console, open onscreen keyboard and type map q2dm1 (I didn't test it, but must work), or you may open pak file and modify map_list in the root of it. If anyone want to know how to rip it (what you can delete from pak) - reply here ;)

Mew
April 27th, 2006, 20:29
Wohoo!!
Nice Be3f!! =)

btw: Is there any news on that project?

-LO-LEADER1
May 6th, 2006, 21:37
Wow

Shadowblind
May 6th, 2006, 23:48
heres something to think about: when the n64 emu comes out, you can play Quake II 4 the n64

Sharkey
May 7th, 2006, 21:34
Wow

If you are going to steal my sig you could have at least hosted it yourself. Ass.

Good job spamming too. :rolleyes:

@Shadowblind.
That version of Quake 2 on the N64 is completely different than the one for PC/PS.
They pretty much made a whole new version on the 64.

The original Quake on N64 is almost the same as the PC version however, with even better lighting I should add.
Although the you wouldn't be able to play the expansion packs or mods with that version so having both would be nice.

I still would like the true PC single player version of Quake 2 on PSP but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

nugatron
May 18th, 2006, 22:34
i have 2.00 and this works fine with the bock eloader

GTAJunkie
May 24th, 2006, 03:36
It looks awesome so far. Unfortanatly, it doesn't work on my 2.6 so I'll have to wait till I get my 2.0 that I ordered from Ebay.

rehbock
June 7th, 2006, 15:30
hi i'm the guy who created some levels for zonk whos interest here is a savegame with which u can get into first level....
HERE (http://www.muh-thps.de/demo1.rar)

Be3f
June 8th, 2006, 10:58
GREAT thanks, rehbock!!! ;)

Physicist
June 13th, 2006, 15:37
I'm not happy, I suspect this made my eloader not work. When i try and delete this. "Cannot remove folder male: The directory is not empty."

baggytheo
July 12th, 2006, 19:07
Loads to black screen on firmware 1.5

The_Lead_Factor
July 12th, 2006, 21:39
No it doesnt.....You just have to wait or you did something wrong.

Be3f
August 25th, 2006, 16:58
Base1 map from rehbock's archive loads, but PSP freezes in few seconds! :( Does everyone have this problem?
And where is McZonc???:confused:

rehbock
August 25th, 2006, 17:22
McZonk has something to do.
ok ok
Press "Select"
and Type "LOAD SAVE0"

if that doesnt work change Video settings

Be3f
August 25th, 2006, 17:35
@rehbock
Thanks for the fast reply! ;) I'm going to test this...
If there was any feedback from McZonc!...

rehbock
August 25th, 2006, 17:42
I'm testing Q2 for Zonk if u watch the credits i can help you out i know alot of it ; )

Be3f
August 25th, 2006, 18:31
Press "Select"
and Type "LOAD SAVE0"

Well, tried this - no effect, PSP still freezes :( Tried different Video Sets - same result. I have same problem with q2dm1.
Maybe Q2 goes out of memory? Game works fine, when i look on simple floor, or wall, but in complex scenes with high poly count and much textures in a frame - PSP freezes :( IrShell and other apps show almost 24 free megs of RAM.

McZonk was on practice for only about 3 month, but where is he now? teamemergencyexit.com blogspot hasn't been updated since 20 March!

Be3f
August 25th, 2006, 19:08
@reh
One question: if you are beta tester, maybe you have some new builds of the Q2-PSP from McZonk (higher than public beta2)? Are you still talking with McZonk or you have lost him too? Thanks, again ;)

rehbock
August 26th, 2006, 12:09
maybe you dont have a 1.00/1.50 Psp

Yes there was a version which could run 8 original levels but i lost it but it looked like Daedalus 7 with tesselate large tris [off]

Be3f
August 26th, 2006, 18:32
@rehbock
I use PSP1000 (JAP) FW1.50 JAP (Downgraded from 2.00). The only change in flash0 is button sets (i reordered X-O button by PSPSet app). All homebrew work on this device =)
Also i tried to load q2dm1 on my friend's PSP with USA firmware 1.50 (downgraded from 2.60) and got same results.

there was a version which could run 8 original levels but i lost it
How could you lose such a "perla negra"???:eek:
This build was elder than 20-th March?

rehbock
August 29th, 2006, 18:18
Zonk gonna start on q2 on 30.8 also tomorow so i dont care that i lost it maybe i still got it somewhere in msn recieved files but who knows

Accordion
August 29th, 2006, 19:54
you mean hes back…
i hope so

BrooksyX
August 29th, 2006, 20:51
He sent me a message the other day and he told me that when he is finished with his schooling he will probably start work on it back up again. I sure hope he can get the default game working.

TrafikEd
August 29th, 2006, 22:12
Would it be Legal to replace the demo pak0.pak with the full pak0.pak? (I own the full game)

BrooksyX
August 29th, 2006, 22:17
Yes it is legal, but the problem is that it doesnt work yet just the demo and a few maps do.

Be3f
August 30th, 2006, 09:38
Zonk gonna start on q2 on 30.8 also tomorow so i dont care that i lost it maybe i still got it somewhere in msn recieved files but who knows
OMFG!!!:eek: So, Zonc Is Back... today!? :rolleyes: Awesome!!!:cool:

mastercool_1
September 9th, 2006, 19:18
hmm.. none of the games i have tryed seem to work :(

JKKDARK
September 9th, 2006, 19:40
I need to try this game. It is just amazing :)

Be3f
September 13th, 2006, 22:01
So, Zonk came back, but is still having a rest in PSP-coding? Or he gave up?!
One January day, Q2 beta was the main reason (for me) for buying PSP ...and it hasn't been updated since than!
McZonk - tell us if the project is dead!

Be3f
September 20th, 2006, 10:55
OMG! Teamemergencyexit blogspot has been updated! :eek: :rolleyes: Visit http://www.teamemergencyexit.com/

Quote from Zonk:

Quake 2 will be the top psp project I'm working. I'm still a big fan of the game and want to finish it.

Awsm! :cool:

what_tha_deuce---
October 2nd, 2006, 11:42
hey can sum1 help on how to play rar files on my psp

F9zDark
October 2nd, 2006, 15:05
You need to extract the RAR file on your PC then transfer the files that were extracted from it to your PSP.

Use WinAce or WinRAR to open RAR files.

wolfpack
October 8th, 2006, 05:26
still waiting for an update

Be3f
November 3rd, 2006, 10:34
http://www.teamemergencyexit.com/
Doesn't work! Zonk simply didn't pay for hosting... or he gave up? Hope - first reason!

dark heart
November 11th, 2006, 00:14
how do you get half-life to work?? i put in pak0 and pak1 and they load for a bit and then stop.
do i need any other files than just the paks?

F9zDark
November 11th, 2006, 04:44
Half-Life DOESN'T work with Quake II...

Can't just install the paks and make it work... Don't even bother trying.

Half-Life needs to be ported to the PSP for it to work. Not to mention, the information in the HL pak files was made for HL, meaning that maps and code, in HL looks for the information inside the HL paks. Now take into consideration that QuakeII is looking for the information inside QuakeII paks, yet HL paks are there instead.

Think of it as putting Diesel into a Gasoline engine, it just wont ****ing run.

r00t
November 12th, 2006, 17:17
This doesn't work for me :( I downloaded the files that Wrggster posted, put them on my PSP and the game loads onto a blackscreen and my PSP crashes. What am I missing? I own Quake 2 etc.

dark heart
November 13th, 2006, 05:48
yer! i had the same problem, i got a 2g memory stick recently, and i the half-life put pak0 and pak1 in the base and i turned on quake 2 psp and it shows a few letters verry quickly (too fast to read) and then it appears to be loading and doesn't do squat. hello?? alittle help here? what apart from the paks do i need to add?

TacticalBread
November 13th, 2006, 06:40
You do not put any Half-Life paks in this. In fact, you don't put anything in it. You take the files it comes with, which includes a .pak and put them on your memory stick, and run it. This it not the full game of Quake 2, it is simply a demo level, showing that Quake 2 can be run on a PSP. That's all. And now apparently, McZonk's website has been shut down, so this may not be completed, unless the sorce code is released.

dark heart
November 14th, 2006, 02:20
lol, you don't know much about this do you? i'ts an engine. if you put the files from another game made with that engine that it was made with, it will work, but i need to find out the right way to put the files it's basically an emulator but alot more complicated.

and besides, that its, apart from fixing the sound, it's finnished and who wants to play a little quake demo? i got a 2g memory stick and i want to make the most of it.

and he won't put in the full version.

can someone who is familer with engenes help me plz?

M-Lin
November 14th, 2006, 13:52
lol, you don't know much about this do you? i'ts an engine. if you put the files from another game made with that engine that it was made with, it will work, but i need to find out the right way to put the files it's basically an emulator but alot more complicated.

and besides, that its, apart from fixing the sound, it's finnished and who wants to play a little quake demo? i got a 2g memory stick and i want to make the most of it.

and he won't put in the full version.

can someone who is familer with engenes help me plz?

And can someone help my with getting Halo 2 to run with Quake 2. I understand that because they both have 2 in the title they are compatible, but is it ok to use scisors to cut the disk to fit the drive? Please help I've destroyed 37 copies of Halo 2 and 8 UMD drives and the screen freezes on matchmaking!

TacticalBread
November 14th, 2006, 23:05
And can someone help my with getting Halo 2 to run with Quake 2. I understand that because they both have 2 in the title they are compatible, but is it ok to use scisors to cut the disk to fit the drive? Please help I've destroyed 37 copies of Halo 2 and 8 UMD drives and the screen freezes on matchmaking!

Wow, sorry if I don't know everything about game engines.

dark heart
November 15th, 2006, 00:50
M-lin, don't insult my intelegence, i spend more time making games than you probley ever will, i know for a fact that half-life runs under the same engine.
don't argue with me, argue with valve, (the creators) and see what they say. -wait a minuet why did tacticalbread quote that?

TacticalBread
November 15th, 2006, 00:53
I'm pretty sure M-Lin is insulting my intellegence.

M-Lin
November 15th, 2006, 01:36
Damn I was trying to insult dark heart's intelligence, and agree mostly with you TacticalBread (although the engine is related). Forums like this are the place to insult peoples intelligence!

I can spell it out if you like?

i-t w-i-l-l n-o-t w-o-r-k

proove me wrong - make my day

PS: seriously not joke just played slow as shit version of UT 2004 on my psp!

TacticalBread
November 15th, 2006, 01:40
I guess I just insulted my own intellegence then. :p

dark heart
November 16th, 2006, 05:34
yes it won't work... untill i rearange the files for quake2, wooot. i found maarrself a pak editor! :)
it's only a matter of time...

and it will eventually work, and when i get it to work, i will post a demo and it will be, the best demo youv'e ever played with quake 2! mwu hahahahah...
ive had my moment...:o

TacticalBread
November 16th, 2006, 05:45
yes it won't work... untill i rearange the files for quake2, wooot. i found maarrself a pak editor! :)
it's only a matter of time...

and it will eventually work, and when i get it to work, i will post a demo and it will be, the best demo youv'e ever played with quake 2! mwu hahahahah...
ive had my moment...:o

Well, if it will work, then good luck, and if it won't, then lololololololol.

adyagos
November 17th, 2006, 00:11
Isn't Half-Life is on the Quake 1 engine?

TacticalBread
November 17th, 2006, 00:51
Isn't Half-Life is on the Quake 1 engine?

No, Half-Life is way more advanced than Quake 1.

adyagos
November 17th, 2006, 01:36
No, Half-Life is way more advanced than Quake 1.

According to the Wikipedia article: It's "based on a heavily modified version of the Quake engine."

TacticalBread
November 17th, 2006, 01:47
According to the Wikipedia article: It's "based on a heavily modified version of the Quake engine."

"Concepts from the Quake II engine were incorporated as it was developed."

and also, if you already knew, why ask?

adyagos
November 17th, 2006, 01:49
"Concepts from the Quake II engine were incorporated as it was developed."

and also, if you already knew, why ask?

That just means parts of Quake II were used, it was still on the first engine.

I thought it might be useful to dark heart to stop trying to make it work with Quake 2.

TacticalBread
November 17th, 2006, 01:56
So, I think it's apparent now, that Half-Life two will not run on this, since Half-Life does not use the Quake 2 engine, but a heavily modified Quake engine, with Quake 2 concepts added into it. So you might as well give up dark heart.

adyagos
November 17th, 2006, 02:10
I tried running it with PSP Quake. It didn't work either, so dark heart would have to make a stand alone game.

dark heart
November 17th, 2006, 05:30
nah half-life was definatly made with quake 2 engine, they said quake so unless they mean the first one they could be refering to anything. besides, one of the ddl's has quake 2 written on it, quake 1 is not nearly cappable of what half-life is. and another thing, the quake 2 engine was released in 1997, half-life come out in 99 wich proves my point further.

p.s yes it would be easier to just port half-life with it's own files lest swopping all the files around to match quake 2 lol.

but in all seriousnes you can't blame me for trying to get half-life onto my psp, it was the best game of it's time, won game of the year.

TacticalBread
November 17th, 2006, 06:01
nah half-life was definatly made with quake 2 engine, they said quake so unless they mean the first one they could be refering to anything. besides, one of the ddl's has quake 2 written on it, quake 1 is not nearly cappable of what half-life is. and another thing, the quake 2 engine was released in 1997, half-life come out in 99 wich proves my point further.

p.s yes it would be easier to just port half-life with it's own files lest swopping all the files around to match quake 2 lol.

but in all seriousnes you can't blame me for trying to get half-life onto my psp, it was the best game of it's time, won game of the year.

Well, I guess Wikipedia was wrong?

Well regardless, yes. Half-Life on PSP would be great. Isn't it open sorce anyway?

adyagos
November 18th, 2006, 02:36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Familytree11.png

That shows Half-Life branching from the Quake engine.

On the Quake II engine page, it doesn't show it as a game using it, but on the Quake engine page, it does.

But, yeah, PSP Half-Life would kick ass.

gamerremag
November 18th, 2006, 03:11
I think soldier of fortune would be kool 2. but that can wait, half life should go first

dark heart
November 24th, 2006, 07:05
yer i did my research and found out that it uses both quake 1 and 2 the bsp confuse and infuriate me!
lol i have no idea what they did with theyre bsp file codec

TacticalBread
November 24th, 2006, 08:08
Yeah, that's what I said like a week ago. Half-Life's engine is a hybrid of the Quake and Quake II engines.

seargent007
February 2nd, 2007, 02:54
where the hell have they gone!? they said they were back, then their site shuts down and they never appear again?! come on, we needed so much from these guys :confused: dont make this another disappearing Ditlew act!

F9zDark
February 2nd, 2007, 03:23
I have been waiting for a year for this shit to get finished. And you wanna know what I learned in that time? You want something on the PSP, might as well do it yourself, because this scene is notorious for half finished programs.

Not to say that I am any different (then again I was a novice coder who tried to take the reigns on a fairly complex project). Needless to say, I think McZonk is done for.

BrooksyX
February 2nd, 2007, 04:42
Yeah McZonk said that he would try to do some more work on Quake II since his thesis was complete. But I lost faith after the site went down. The source is out there if any one wants to try to get it to load the official .pak file. I believe that its 100% possible, it will just take a good, determined coder.

gpeters
February 3rd, 2007, 05:45
The source is out there if any one wants to try to get it to load the official .pak file.

I know the ID source is available, but where could one find the modified for PSP- McZonk source code?

BrooksyX
February 3rd, 2007, 07:45
I know McZonk's source is available because I asked him and his that it came with his latest release. But just checked and it wasn't in there. So I am going to take an educated guess and suggest checking out source forge.

edit: I am pretty sure I remember looking at it before, maybe it was in a different download when they released the second patch.

Be3f
February 15th, 2007, 11:14
A year ago McZonk wrote:

When there is water in the map the port crashes. I'm working on that at the moment. You will be able to play every map from the original game in the final build. It will be possible to use the unchanged .pak files. You only have to add a new default.cfg to your baseq2/ folder.

Does anyone have the perfect config file for Q2-PSP?

Method Man
March 1st, 2007, 12:45
A year ago McZonk wrote:

Does anyone have the perfect config file for Q2-PSP?

no, not yet.... or it isn't official yet
would be nice when Mc Zonk would do something again for Quake2...

Cloudhunter
March 1st, 2007, 13:23
no, not yet.... or it isn't official yet
would be nice when Mc Zonk would do something again for Quake2...

Last time I heard, he was still working on it...

Cloudy

jurkevicz
March 1st, 2007, 16:25
It's been a while since he's updated...

BrooksyX
March 1st, 2007, 16:32
I think McZonk gave up or is taking a long break. the Teamemergencyexit website was taken down a long time ago. Hopefully someone else will pickup this project or McZonk will come back.

falta7
March 11th, 2007, 08:51
cool game..... can't wait til the final version! and good luck with your exams wraggster!

Method Man
March 16th, 2007, 13:14
...can't wait til the final version...

look like the final version will be never released :( :mad: :eek:

Murdock
May 23rd, 2007, 19:56
Hmm, yep this project is DEAD ... another nice idea that ends up in the trashcan ... unfortunately

BUt at least the "team" should have published a statement or sth like this that officially explains that the give up.

blackrave
May 23rd, 2007, 20:10
Never say anything is dead. Many, many people said StrmnNrmn's Daedalus was long gone, but the developer striked back with a fantastic release (R9). I recall a news a few months ago, too, from the developer of Quake I for the PSP, saying the team has started doing work again.

This might even happen to this project. :)

McZonk
June 10th, 2007, 22:23
Read: http://emergencyexit.untergrund.net/

andwan0
June 8th, 2009, 17:37
What is the latest Quake2 PSP release? and does it still have the piracy protection? (where if there's ISO or ISO loading programs on memstick, Quake2 won't load).