PDA

View Full Version : Noobz News - Exploit Fever Is Here Again

wraggster
January 8th, 2009, 20:41
Fanjita and the NoobZ team today posted this:

You've probably seen the news that MaTiAz and FreePlay have found an exploit in the ancient game GripShift, which works on all PSPs (including PSP3000) and up to the latest Sony 5.02 firmware.

This is great news, it's been a long time since a new game exploit was published, and it opens the way for at least user-mode homebrew on the PSP3000. Here at Noobz we saw the bat-signal calling for "someone who has experience in progressing exploits" to help out with developing this one further, and I'm glad to announce that we'll be joining forces with FreePlay and MaTiAz.

The exploit already includes an SDK to allow porting of homebrew by devs, but that's cumbersome. Our initial focus will be to make it easier to run standard homebrew via this exploit, by adapting eloader to it. This will be restricted purely to user-mode homebrew, since there is currently no public kernel-mode exploit that could be used here, and compatibility is likely to be patchy due to the security measures in the later firmwares which make determining all the syscalls almost impossible. Still, you can expect that at least some emulators and other popular pure user-mode homebrew will run.

Beyond that, if anyone finds a usable route to kernel-mode then a HEN and downgrader ought to be doable, but we're not focussing on that at this time.

Pre-announcements aren't normally the Noobz way, but in this case it seemed worthwhile to let people know, in case anyone was thinking of doing similar work. We won't predict timescales, especially as everyone is very busy at the moment and there's a fair amount of work to be done - so please don't ask.

http://w2.hidemyass.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ub29iei5ldS9qb29tbGEv

I cant post the real url because someone has banned Virgin ISPs from the website which annoys me like hell, so use this url if your like me on Virgin.

Other than that its great to hear from Fanjita and the NooBZ guys again

dangee
January 8th, 2009, 21:01
ahh, nostalgia.
eloader gave me my first PSP homebrew experience thru the GTA exploit and now ,
like a phoenix it's rising from the pandoric ashes of obsolesence.
& talking of phoenixes, could this be the ideal platform for a PGE Lua 0.3 build?

Buddy4point0
January 8th, 2009, 22:40
ahh, nostalgia
Indeed.
With N00bz working on it, we're bound to have a fully functional exploit in no time!
This is really exciting, it reminds me of the old days.
Who knows maybe we'll have another homebrew boom. I can't wait.
And with those new PSP slim colors, I might have to pick up the red one soon.:D

dejkirkby
January 8th, 2009, 22:57
I was hoping for Fanjita, Ditlew and Team Noobz to be involved in this. Freeplay, MaTiAz and Noobz will make a formidable PSP group!
BTW The proxy link doesn't work Wraggy.

apex05
January 8th, 2009, 23:11
Good to see the psp 3000 finally getting a life! But anyone know how many copies of gripshift were actually sold?

Hiei311
January 8th, 2009, 23:48
gripshift is really expensive iv seen them for 60!!

ian h
January 9th, 2009, 02:03
and so it begins...

PSPdemon
January 9th, 2009, 02:21
yes.... and so it DOES begin

now not only is gripshift exploited.. it is ( which could barely get $15 ) now selling for $40 minimum....

just like the old days of lumines and GTA.... copies would sell for exagerated prices ( i remember seeing lumines copies for $150 ) because of these exploits....

luckily i got Gripshift back about 2 years ago? for $20... and i dont think the game sucks :S i kinda like it :)

anyway good luck to anyone who wants the game now that theres a exploit.... you wont be able to find them cheaply anymore lol

Darksaviour69
January 9th, 2009, 02:57
I cant post the real url because someone has banned Virgin ISPs from the website which annoys me like hell, so use this url if your like me on Virgin.

lol I had the same problem

Buddy4point0
January 9th, 2009, 03:39
Hey what a great way too sell millions!

Now Devs, listen up:

Make a half-ass game and don't spend any money on development.
Be sure to have a 'bug' which allows full exploitable kernal mode.
Leak news of it online.
Sell for at least $40 a pop.

Your happy, homebrewers are happy.
WinWin Profitt!

Sterist
January 9th, 2009, 05:10
redbull?

paul3100
January 9th, 2009, 13:06
Hey if a games company does make a half arsed job of programming the game and an exploite is found do sony get pissed at them?

Anyway it is good to see the 3000 series comming to life

paul

mib_
January 9th, 2009, 13:25
As I said in another post, this new user mode expolit should allow a new e-loader for "user mode" homebrew.

What we really need is a kernel mode expolit to allow us to run a firmware loader. Similar to Devhook from a few years ago.

Please remember that there is no way around the new IPL loader on the 88v3 without knowing the hashing algorithm. Trying to figure that out is the same as trying to figure out the algorithm used to sign code. (almost impossible)

Also remember that the new IPL loader makes it impossible to run firmware lower than 4.00

mib_
January 9th, 2009, 13:59
Hey if a games company does make a half arsed job of programming the game and an exploite is found do sony get pissed at them?
paul

SCE won't sign the release off. It would have to be hidden well enough to get through QA and the build environment.

If it did get through, as soon as the exploit is public, there would be a product recall and patch. (the same thing happened with GTA LCS)

Fanjita
January 9th, 2009, 14:52

Other than that its great to hear from Fanjita and the NooBZ guys again

You shouldn't find that you're being banned from the site, just warned via a banner that your ISP is keen to sell you down the river. This should be true for Virgin, BT and TalkTalk, other ISP customers should see nothing different. Can you PM me with your IP address so I can double check it? Sounds like the PhormCheck code is being a bit over-enthusiastic.

BTW, as a UK webmaster you should make sure you're on top of the whole Phorm issue - it's a threat to your copyrighted content.

Please remember that there is no way around the new IPL loader on the 88v3 without knowing the hashing algorithm. Trying to figure that out is the same as trying to figure out the algorithm used to sign code. (almost impossible)

Of course, I was using "downgrader" as shorthand for "way to install custom firmware" in the post - downgrading direct to v1.5 is old hat these days, but "downgrader" is a convenient, easy-to-understand term for a wider concept.

dejkirkby
January 9th, 2009, 15:41
You shouldn't find that you're being banned from the site, just warned via a banner that your ISP is keen to sell you down the river. This should be true for Virgin, BT and TalkTalk, other ISP customers should see nothing different. Can you PM me with your IP address so I can double check it? Sounds like the PhormCheck code is being a bit over-enthusiastic.

I get this when I attempt to come to your site.
http://phormcheck.co.uk/phorm_warning_ip/
I have to access it from a proxy.

kharaboudjan
January 9th, 2009, 16:53
nice news :)

newb_fo_life
January 9th, 2009, 16:58
Great news i like the idea of noobz coming back onto the scene :)

Fanjita
January 9th, 2009, 18:16
I get this when I attempt to come to your site.
http://phormcheck.co.uk/phorm_warning_ip/
I have to access it from a proxy.

You should now find that you just get a banner (I hope, can't test it for sure until I get home). The Anti-Phorm configuration was being too paranoid.

DPyro
January 10th, 2009, 15:29
Not sure if this was posted before:

AEUDFmh7dqw

Art
January 10th, 2009, 22:45
Hey what a great way too sell millions!

Now Devs, listen up:

Make a half-ass game and don't spend any money on development.
Be sure to have a 'bug' which allows full exploitable kernal mode.
Leak news of it online.
Sell for at least $40 a pop.

Your happy, homebrewers are happy.
WinWin Profitt!

Sony and the developers don't make any more money out of it,
just the people that rip off others on eBay.