PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: PS2 Emulator Coming to PlayStation 3

wraggster
January 10th, 2009, 11:11
Could a PlayStation 2 software emulator be coming to all PlayStation 3's in the near future?

Yes we know your launch PlayStation 3 plays PlayStation 2 games. Good for you. However, with a necessary chip missing from recent models, the rest of us are left in the lurch.

So here comes the rumour that Sony is looking into the problem. In order to keep the PS3's price down the originally included PS2 chips were cut out (look here to see the reformed PS3 board), so the only solution is to develop software emulation. Reportedly anyone who's up to the challenge can enter the frame.

The rumour comes from NeoGAF member Meph who recounts what was told to him by a Sony representative (openly described as a 'tool'). The story goes that Sony might be willing to buy a PlayStation 2 emulator for the future.

"He mentioned that since the PS2 has just 1 year left on its life-cycle not to expect them to develop anything new with regards to backwards compatibility," says Meph.

"He then leans in and lowers his voice, as if to tell me some deep dark secret and mentions that Sony may be willing to potentially buy a PS2 emulator to put in future consoles."

According to Meph this similarly happened with PlayStation 1 backwards compatibility in the PlayStation 2.

How exactly an independent coder could create a PlayStation 2 emulator without a PlayStation 3 development kit, we're unawares, but intriguing nonetheless.

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/playstation3/rumour-ps2-emulator-coming-playstation-3-$1259719.htm

Hungry Horace
January 12th, 2009, 02:12
we all know it's coming.

at least, i bloody hope so. I've been gagging to play Silent Hill 2 again and my PS2 has been buggered for many a year now.

ICE
January 12th, 2009, 02:32
That would be nice I suppose. My PS3 was a model without backwards compatibility.

malgora
January 12th, 2009, 06:17
mines the same no b/c really annoyed with it .. but yeah having it back would be great for the ps3. even if they were to make it for people with linux would be cool ... but yeah come on sony bring it back for your loyal customers

hockey2112
January 12th, 2009, 19:36
I haven't played GOW 1 and 2 yet, but I have both... I just lost all desire to play with a wired controller after getting the PS3. I would love to finally be able to play them both on the PS3!

DPyro
January 12th, 2009, 19:42
All PS3's have a PS2 emulator, just the later models don't have it enabled.

ICE
January 12th, 2009, 20:01

Why disable it?

JLF65
January 12th, 2009, 21:50

That's both true and false...

The first models had the EE and GS in hardware, so the "PS2 Emulator" was only what was needed for the other hardware in the PS2. The second models had only the GS in hardware, so the updated "PS2 Emulator" added emulating the EE to it. The latest models don't have either the EE or the GS, so the "PS2 Emulator" isn't used since it doesn't emulate the missing GS.

For Sony to get a working PS2 Emulator on the latest models, they need to add the GS to the hardware being emulated via software. They just haven't gotten around to it yet. So your statement was true - there IS a PS2 emulator in all PS3s that is disabled in the latest models, but it's not a WORKING emulator for the latest models as it relies on hardware that isn't present.