PDA

View Full Version : ELSPA busts first pirate of 2009

Shrygue
January 12th, 2009, 22:06
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205653)

ELSPA's answer to CTU, the Intellectual Property Crime Unit (IPCU) is back, and it's stepped up its game and is far more serious for 2009 - just like the new season of 24.

Kicking off 2009 with a bang (or a bust) the boys in blue at ELSPA have successfully cracked a pirating ring in an unemployed man's Staffordshire house, which was used to sell dodgy Xbox games on Gumtree.

Prior to it all kicking off in Staffordshire, Police successfully infiltrated the man's house by posing as a pirate punter, handing of a console for alteration that would enable it to play illegally copied games.

Whilst undercover, the ELSPA investigator and Trading Standards officer were also offered copied Xbox 360 games for purchase. Schoolboy error.

The cuffs were on and after an explosion-filled raid that could've filled 15 minutes of a Prison Break episode, officers recovered four computers with burners and more than 1,000 illegally copied games

The offender, who cannot yet be named for legal reasons, made a full confession and admitted to running the illegal operation for approximately two years. Don't mess with the IPCU, criminal scum.

The Intellectual Property Crime Unit vowed to step up its fight against counterfeiters and illegal chipping services in 2009: "We would like to thank Staffordshire Trading Standards for their excellent work in bringing this online operation to an end," said ELSPA boss Michael Rawlinson.

"Such illegal activity can pose real health dangers for the public and certainly deprives gamers of any proper quality control. Furthermore, it can cause the industry to lose vital income and with it jobs across the UK."

shadowriffe
January 12th, 2009, 22:19
The last part is a joke, right? Health dangers like what?

hollowuk
January 12th, 2009, 22:32
Yes If you save money on games you might spend it on whores and catch something cruel. Or not.

devdj
January 12th, 2009, 22:54
Yes If you save money on games you might spend it on whores and catch something cruel. Or not.

yeah like getting AIDS:eek: is worse than going to jail

apex05
January 13th, 2009, 01:21
What kind of health dangers could that possibly cause? Unless that "explosion filled raid" involved throwing those 1000 pirated disks like death stars at the police and ricocheting off the general public, but i don't think we need a health and safety warning for that

irishwhip
January 13th, 2009, 01:23
Reminds me of that old scare story about copying amiga games, and how it would give you cancer.
I'm not joking

Zack
January 13th, 2009, 01:24

:rofl:

I really hate how the "health dangers" thing is used for everything. It's pathetic.

gutbub
January 13th, 2009, 01:29
Whats up with all the references to shows on Fox?

mike_jmg
January 13th, 2009, 01:36

must be :rofl:

pibs
January 13th, 2009, 01:59

A person can get serious blisters playing all those illegally copied games;)

goity
January 13th, 2009, 17:42
Super Scandal: Brit gets Arrested for Smoking Cigarettes!

Yes, yesterday somewhere in Britain, somewhere quite dingy where Jeremy Kyle would have a field day, got arrested for smoking cigarettes! Well, actually they were dateraping someone, but it's all drugs so the story still makes perfect sense!

Spokesman for Heat Magazine, Margaret Thatcher said "Smoking can give you herpes, amongst other nasties such as fat and lurgy. It's really bad, and totally the same thing as dateraping. It's true, I heard it on the news!"

acn010
January 13th, 2009, 18:17
A person can get serious blisters playing all those illegally copied games;)

rofl! must be ;D

wolfpack
January 13th, 2009, 19:32
xD