PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 : What Vista was supposed to be

Zack
January 13th, 2009, 00:41
So after a day of downloading (mobile broadband is slow...) I acquired the Windows 7 beta.

I decided to go for the x64 version of Windows 7. So far I am amazed, it is such a huge step up from Windows Vista.

The visual quality is stunning, everything is so Hi-Res, the new layout is amazing, especially the new taskbar. So far everything I have thrown at it has worked which is great.

So far I am really impressed, keep it up Microsoft!

The only drawback I have found so far is the resurgence of the digitally signed drivers. You can bypass this by booting with F8 and disabling it but it's a pain in the ass all the same.

Try it yourself here : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx

You get until August before the beta expires.

Screenshot from my PC :

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk437/Zackpspcoder/Windows7.jpg (www.retroemu.com)

Blue Protoman
January 13th, 2009, 02:49
They look like they're trying to imitate the Mac toolbar.

BlueCrab
January 13th, 2009, 04:21
They look like they're trying to imitate the Mac toolbar.

I was just about to reply "Gee, that looks an awful lot like the Dock in Mac OS X."

I think I'll stay with the original Mac OS X.

the_eternal_dark
January 26th, 2009, 10:45
Wow, ummm, so you like it because it's "prettier"? Wasn't that a big reason for "everyone" "updating" to Vista from XP?

Microsoft still has a long way to go if they want to compete with Linux/BSD in stability and security, and any for of pretty is not going to make that OS secure or more usable than previous versions.

VampDude
January 26th, 2009, 20:49
Wow, ummm, so you like it because it's "prettier"? Wasn't that a big reason for "everyone" "updating" to Vista from XP?

Probably?

Vista did look nice when it was first available though, but in reality it was a pile of sh!te and full of flaws.

If I could, I would actually go back to XP. I've been stuck with Vista for 2 years with no way back. :(

ICE
January 26th, 2009, 20:51
I run nlited XP with Windowblinds. Pretty and fast. I do hope 7 is good though. XP is old lol.

WhizzBang
January 26th, 2009, 20:54
Sounds very promising. Windows XP from Service Pack 2 onwards is the only MS operating system I have ever really got on with, so if it can beat that it would be great.

the_eternal_dark
January 27th, 2009, 04:55
I run nlited XP with Windowblinds. Pretty and fast. I do hope 7 is good though. XP is old lol.

ICE, you traitor.....

ICE
January 27th, 2009, 05:03
Its ok I dual boot with a Ubuntu distro.

Shrygue
January 27th, 2009, 20:10
Same here, Kubuntu 8.041 and Windows XP and Windows 7 beta 64 bit all together ftw!

Kaiser
January 27th, 2009, 20:39
I've been running x64 Vista for awhile now and I'm loving it. I might give this beta a try though.

Shrygue
January 27th, 2009, 20:52
The Windows 7 beta is ace, you should try it out sometime when you have the chance and spare hard disk space (or even a whole spare drive). For me, it installed and installed up to date drivers for almost almost all my hardware.

the_eternal_dark
January 28th, 2009, 08:03
The Windows 7 beta is ace, you should try it out sometime when you have the chance and spare hard disk space (or even a whole spare drive). For me, it installed and installed up to date drivers for almost almost all my hardware.

I remember the days of the Vista beta's and how much they apparently rocked, at least that's what all the others in my programming classes claimed anyway. What happened to the final release if it was so good in beta?

I'm multi-booting OpenBSD, Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit (heavy customization with gaming in mind), Gentoo (see Ubuntu), and OpenSolaris (which is a neat little beast, btw). I highly recommend trying any 64-bit BSD or OpenSolaris if you are looking for speed and ease of use (if you have prior experience with Unix/Linux/BSD in general).

Vista Ultimate runs nicely in VMWare, but I will not give it the privilege to be entered into my grub menu as I still don't believe it completed yet, but this may change with the release of SP2 in the near future, and quite possibly a 7 beta shortly as well.

mike_jmg
January 29th, 2009, 06:59
^ Topic
A piece of crap as everybody already knows

the_eternal_dark
January 30th, 2009, 08:37
^ Topic
A piece of crap as everybody already knows

Lol, so it's still Windows?

ninja9393
January 30th, 2009, 23:12
I actually really love the beta, its 100x better then vista, better then Xp in my opinion too

mike_jmg
January 31st, 2009, 18:16
Lol, so it's still Windows?

No, they outdone themselves with Vista It's like a whole new level of crapiness

quicksilver02
February 14th, 2009, 07:32
i hope windows 7 can run on my p4 (S478/agp) system, man i really need an upgrade.

else i need to learn how to work on linux os or something.