PDA

View Full Version : dc booting problem... but slightly different

smokey
January 29th, 2006, 22:33
ok guys, i really need your help

i bought a dc for £15 from the market yesterday - not a good thing i know but it was cheap. unfortunately it will turn on etc but it won't boot. so i did the laser calibration trick and now it will read music cd's (such as the lens cleaner and normal cds) but it won't play any games it just says "insert game disc". not really sure on what to do, pretty sure its not a power supply problem and it's not the disc because its new and pretty much scratchless.

what gets me is after all the tweaking chu chu rocket managed to start... but only get to the sega copyright screen before going back to the dashboard. thought it was the laser again so i tweaked it a bit more, and now it wont read it again and sitll only reads audio cds. i dont know what to do :(

can anyone help?
anything will be appreciated!! :D thanks,

Matt

fallenangle
February 4th, 2006, 20:11
This could be a case of the laser drive 'carriage' sticking. Even when new the clearances are small and the edges can actually catch on the sides/underside of the slot. I have occasional trouble with my DC in cold weather because of this. Once warmed up no trouble.

Usually just pressing down the disc more firmly than normal frees it. But if someone has been inside the DC and damaged the drive mechanism or the case is damaged you've got more serious problems. It does sound as if your laser is moving OK to begin with but then sticking. If this is drive trouble you may never get your DC working without repplacement but if it's catching on the casing and you can identify where it may be repairable.

smokey
February 4th, 2006, 22:50
it thought that was it.... so ive bought one off ebay! it's coming soon.... :)

ive managed to get chu chu to work but that's console violence.... (ie hitting it :D )