PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Quake V1.1

cswindle
January 29th, 2006, 21:41
Hi All

Here is the latest build of the multiplayer support version of Quake, in this build it has the following additions:
- Infrastructure mode added
- Adhoc & Infrastructure are now enabled via the network menu
- The access point for infrastructure mode setting is in setup in the network settings
- Hacks to speed up the FPS to enable network versions to have less lag
- Sound support in both adhoc & infrastructure

In order to change the access point that you want to use, just go to the network setup menu and press left or right on the access point box.

Hope you enjoy.

Chris Swindle

(Download via comments and please leave feedback)

pspfan
January 29th, 2006, 21:51
Wow awesome. I think this one might work on 2.0 since there's infrastructure. (I'm not sure if the other one worked on 2.0, but I assumed it didn't since it only used Ah Hoc, and the wifi part of the eboot loader sounds like it only loads infrastructure setting, but I'm not positive.) I'll try it out on 2.0 as soon as possible.

Jman0708
January 29th, 2006, 22:11
o jebus im making cs for psp on quake 1 cause q1 and cs use the same maps so think of playing cs assult ONLINE!! all we need now is a osk (on screen keyboard) like mczonk had for the console...

wraggster
January 29th, 2006, 22:18
Thanks for the newspost and release :)

Produkt
January 29th, 2006, 22:39
Honestly I love your advancements I think the important thing here for "Infastructure" to work you need a functional Masterserver

if you wish to talk about solutions for this, I have some for you :D

Jman... HL1 uses a different BSP format, its a mix of Q1,Q2, and Valves tidbits... and dont think you can do the models either... they have to be converted...

cswindle
January 29th, 2006, 22:48
There are a number of ways that you can use the infrastructure mode, one is that you have a server on the local network, in which case you can just search and connect to it, or the PSP being a server and the PC connect to it. Another way is two or more PSP's connected to the same access point can play multiplayer (this may be more reliable with more than two PSP's). The only way that you can't do at the moment is connecting to an external server, this is only due to not having an on screen keyboard.

Chris

pspfan
January 29th, 2006, 23:05
It didn't work on 2.0. I used the untested 1.0 eboot, but I still don't think that's the problem. When I tried it with Eboot Loader v0.9 (the on with wifi), it said "Module attribs 00001000 suggest a kernel-mode app" Oh well, I guess I still can't play a nice homebrew shooter with multiplayer...

mrplug
January 29th, 2006, 23:23
i hosted on my PC and got my PSP and laptop to connect, works flawless to me. keep up the good work.

danknugz
January 30th, 2006, 00:22
does this mean that you can play over the intenet if someone sets up a server? that would be sweett.....

PSPdemon
January 30th, 2006, 00:25
wow... this is truely incredible!!

i never thought that we would have a fps with wireless multiplayer for the psp!! :D

great job on your work, i see sometime in the future lots of great things to happen... i think that if this keeps on going on like this we might acually seem some type of tounaments and statistics page with ranks!!! this is turning the psp into a mobile frag fest!:D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Jman0708
January 30th, 2006, 00:48
i convert cs maps to quake 1 then convert them to quake 2

Madonion
January 30th, 2006, 01:06
Man That was awsome! Me and my cousin just laned a game quake against each other and then we played cooperative :D. Most fun ever!

phazey
January 30th, 2006, 02:28
Does this have the ability to run config.cfg and autoexec.cfg ?

I wonder about having binds, and executing a connect command..

guess i'll try when i get to work.

bobcobb
January 30th, 2006, 02:51
Awesome. Get it working for 2.0, and get some accessible servers up and this will be one of the best homebrew yet.

phazey
January 30th, 2006, 03:00
Info:Both config.cfg and autoexec.cfg (you'll have to create this) accept being edited and quake will notice the changes.

adding: name "playername" (with quotes) will change your name

changing: crosshair "0" to "crosshair "2" will make aiming a little easier.

both the above are in ID1/config.cfg

I added the command "connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (a random IP of a Q server) to a newly created ID1/autoexec.cfg and it did attempt to connect, but as there was no network mode activated, it errored out -

is there a way to activate infrastructure mode from startup so we can hop onto some servers ?

I'll try to find out what i can - but with the ability to run autoexec.cfg, we can now play with aliases (like one button rocket jump, quick GL switch & fire etc.)

Good job anyways Chris - a welcome piece of homebrew.

imoneofthem
January 30th, 2006, 03:33
This is truly incredible, yet there are some problems which I've found.

On my brother's EUR PSP it works perfectly, however on my JAP it does not work correctly. I'll indicate the problems.

Both our PSP's have been downgraded to 1.50 and have had been applied with 2.01 (via fake firmware changer). On my JAP PSP I have also changed the background.

his PSP - Icon and background on the memory stick are fine
my PSP - Icon and background look dark and unclear

Our PSP's - In multiplayer setup we are unable to configure the names (probably has to be done via the config file).
My PSP - The infastructure mode does not work at all and just flicks on without turning on the wifi.

Any suggestions?

PSmonkey
January 30th, 2006, 04:35
Sweet, Now someone just needs to compile on the Team fortress code on top of quake so we can get TF running on psp. :D

NeoXCS
January 30th, 2006, 06:02
Wow, this is great news! Can't wait to try this baby out!

cswindle
January 30th, 2006, 07:48
Our PSP's - In multiplayer setup we are unable to configure the names (probably has to be done via the config file).

Yes at the moment there is no OSK, so that is the only way at the moment.

My PSP - The infastructure mode does not work at all and just flicks on without turning on the wifi.

Any suggestions?

Have you chosen the access point in the network setup? If you have I am not sure why this would be the case (although I do not have a 1.0 to test with). Does anything come up in the console about errors as I tried to add some debug statements on failure. Have you tried using adhoc mode to connect the two PSP's just to ensure that works ok?

is there a way to activate infrastructure mode from startup so we can hop onto some servers ?

Not at the moment, I may add that the join host name is added to a variable, that way you will be able to get it to put a default setting in. That way even when the OSK is added you will not need to use it all of the time if you want to reconnect to the server that you last used.

Chris

danknugz
January 30th, 2006, 09:00
so im all installed and ready to play, where can i find a game? what do i do! thanks

danknugz
January 30th, 2006, 09:13
and does this help? it a list of current quake servers still running, i just can figure out how to enter the server ip from inside the game...

http://www.gameaholic.com/servers/quake/

phazey
January 30th, 2006, 10:58
I think i've cracked Internet play. I've just started to play with this, but in theory it should enable us to connect to servers anywhere.

You need to run some sort of Quake Proxy on your home machine, i chose DPROXY Page here (http://graphics.stanford.edu/~quake/utils.html)

You run this like c:\Dproxy\>dproxy.exe testfile server:port

where server:port is the machine you want to connect to.

On your psp, you enter an alias:

alias connect "connect ip of your windows box
bind TRIANGLE connect

once in quake, you press triangle, and it should connect to your windows machine, which would then connect to the server you chose.

As i said, i've just started to look into this, but who knows, it may work - and someone out there may have a better method or better software.

I'll let all you guys know ;)

Cheers,

K

UPDATE: it works! you dont even need the alias, just search for local games, and with luck, your psp will find your windows 'proxy' and then connect to the server on the internet.

hawkzer
February 2nd, 2006, 22:48
I tested multiplayer on adhoc, everything works fine even w/three people :) And its backward compatable so thats cool. BTW, phazey, DPROXY wont work on any of my comps, it won't even run. Is it becuase it only works on 95 or what?

danknugz
February 4th, 2006, 09:50
any one have any luck with this yet?

cswindle
February 4th, 2006, 14:24
any one have any luck with this yet?What are you having problems with in particular?

Chris

gpeters
February 7th, 2006, 23:31
My first post.... I hope everyone likes it. I will try not to make it too long. I started playing QuakeAdHoc 1.1 when I found the release here about a week ago. I then started a quake server at my house to play on a lan... I am sure a lot of people did this... There was just no competition playing my 6 year old son. Now is a good time to state, I am no programmer, or coder- just a little Ubuntu Linux in my veins about 50% of the time.

After reading some posts of how people got onto some online servers, using proxy servers and all that crap that the average person can't do. I decided that it was too much trouble. I came across a post somewhere(someone let me know who the guy is that said this) that stated: "If only there was a way to activate the infrastructure wifi connection before starting the the autoexec.cfg file.". Well, there is a way to do this! I have modified the pak0.pak and added a psp.cfg file and I can connect to Quake servers! I am also hosting a quake server especially for PSP users within the psp.cfg file(nobody is on it yet).

You must have the pak1.pak file also!

Here is the step by step:

Step 1 - Installing and configuring the psp.cfg and pak0.pak -

Download and extract both files into your ID1 Folder on the PSP.

Then, open psp.cfg with a text editor like notepad. Adjust the control settings to fit your needs... please note every time you use this trick, it will erase your current button configuration, and replace them with the settings stored in psp.cfg(thats why I have my button configuration stored in psp.cfg). Next, move to the bottom of the file and adjust the USER NAME SETTING. It will say "USERNAMEHERE". Replace that with the username you want to be called on the server.

Now, replace your PAK0.PAK with my pak0.pak file in your ID1 folder.
Step 2 - Initializing the wifi and connecting to a Quake server

Once Quake is started, it should read something like this at the bottom of the screen providing everything has been done right up to now:

EXECING CONFIG.CFG
COULDN'T EXEC AUTOEXEC.CFG
3 DEMO(S) IN LOOP
]

If you see this, it should be on the right track. Press "Start" to pull up the "Main" menu. Select "Multiplayer" and then choose "Setup". Choose your settings, like the colors you want and your access point and "Accept Changes" when you are finished. You should be back in the "Multiplayer" menu. Select "Infrastructure" and wait for your PSP to get an IP address. You can check to see you got an ip address by going back into "Setup" and looking at "Hostname". It should have a number in there now. Go back to the "Main" Menu, usually done by pressing "CIRCLE" 2 times. Select "Options". Press "Down" 2 times and your cursor should be on "RESET TO DEFAULTS". Push "CROSS" and you should notice your wifi light blinking, followed by your MS light- thats just your map loading! If it all works out, you should see a stage show up behind your menu! If you don't see the background change, then try again a few more times. I found that a weak wifi signal doesn't always connect on the first attempt. Also, if it does not connect, you can press "CIRCLE" to view the console and see if there are any errors or connections taking place.

Sorry for the long post! Let me know what you think. One last thing... I only have so Much bandwidth... almost a T1, but not quite... can someone host this file for me?

Here is the download link:

http://garretpeters.com/upload/save/Quake-id1.zip
EDIT- file is no longer available or needed for online play- read further on in the posts for more info. CLOSE EDIT
Thanks!

Chris, there is a way around using my crappy hack of your system. Could you give me your source code? Yeah, I didn't think you would.. Anyhow, can you email me. I think I have an easy solution for your source that does not involve an OSK...

cswindle
February 8th, 2006, 08:34
Chris, there is a way around using my crappy hack of your system. Could you give me your source code? Yeah, I didn't think you would.. Anyhow, can you email me. I think I have an easy solution for your source that does not involve an OSK...I have already sorted out the OSK (thanks to McZonk). I am currently just merging with Peter and then once we are happy that everything is working we will release a new combined version.

I may also release an initial version of QuakeWorld next week some time, after I merge the latest changes.

Chris

gpeters
February 8th, 2006, 18:50
First off, let me say it sounds promising and I can't wait for you to release it.

I still think that an additional menu option could be added though, in the same way you added the adhoc and infrastructure options in the multiplayer menu. OSK's are great, but clumsy at best when compared to a real keyboard. I know at the moment it is the best and only option we have for the PSP. What I had in mind doesn't sound too complex in theory, but add a few options for running configs that would be placed in the id1 folder. You could write a quake config- a simple "connect dcemu.com" and have a menu option to execute it. You could write all kinds of commands and execute them at once instead of fumbling with an OSK. Maybe Im wrong, but I know this works based on my little pak0 mod. I just changed the default.cfg in pak0 by adding exec psp.cfg.

Let me know what you think and if it would be a whole lot of trouble to add that into the source.

jedikd
February 8th, 2006, 22:02
I may also release an initial version of QuakeWorld next week some time, after I merge the latest changes.

Chris

it's been a long time since I played quake online. I remember QuakeWorld being like a update to Quake, what exactly does it add and what are the advantages of implementing it? Just curious, thanks for all your hard work, Quake is quickly becoming one of the best reasons to own a PSP and stay at 1.5

cswindle
February 9th, 2006, 07:37
it's been a long time since I played quake online. I remember QuakeWorld being like a update to Quake, what exactly does it add and what are the advantages of implementing it? Just curious, thanks for all your hard work, Quake is quickly becoming one of the best reasons to own a PSP and stay at 1.5It was designed for internet play and for connections that had lag. The main reason that I implemented it was because most of the is the same between Quake and QuakeWorld, so I thought that I would give people the choice of which to play online. Also if I can find out a master server that is still working then it will be possible to get a list of servers to connect to, rather than needing to know the IP address all the time.

Chris

hawkzer
February 11th, 2006, 04:52
I would like to thank everyone that made this possible,mainly cswindle, for allowing me to run quake tournaments at my highschool :D . But also gpeters, for running a sever reserved for us psp users :)

BTW, at the time of this posting, I am waiting for someone to play me on peter's server. Will anyone ever get around to doing it?

danknugz
February 13th, 2006, 09:22
i really want to try this out, but im having a hard time connecting to my router , i have played psp vs pc, but this seems a little complicated, ill try to get on it tomorrow. thanks peter!

gpeters
February 14th, 2006, 05:04
Danknugz,
I'll look forward to fragging you. Be sure and bring some friends if you get this to work. Hawkzer got on the other day, but it is not too much fun with 2 people. Maybe I should add some bots? The server has been pretty much empty except for some of my family hopping on it for a game or two. Hopefully it will get a little more popular within the psp homebrew crowd... The server has a 12 person limit and has yet to see more than 5 people at once- none of which were from these forums or the others I posted at. Also, the server is located in the St. Louis area, so just ping garretpeters.com if you want to see what kind of ping you can expect. Good luck with the router.

-Garret

Zaine
February 15th, 2006, 01:25
mines says i dont have the wad so where can i dl the wad from?

gpeters
February 15th, 2006, 02:20
Be a little more specific. What are you trying to do? It sounds like you haven't even gotten the game to run on your psp at all. Are you trying to join a quake server? Do you have pak0.pak file(shareware)? Do you have pak1.pak(licenced)? Purchase quake or do a google search for the pak1.pak file. As for pak0.pak, you should be able to download that from Id software for free.. Everyone will be able to help you better if you clarify what you have tried already.
Thanks

shibztar
February 25th, 2006, 23:00
Ya Jman is right, it would be awsome to play CS on the psp online! When that day comes all the world will be happy!

Kaboofa
March 2nd, 2006, 16:32
. . .
Sorry for the long post! Let me know what you think. One last thing... I only have so Much bandwidth... almost a T1, but not quite... can someone host this file for me?
. . .

Yes, yes I can. http://www.angrycoder.org/Quake-id1.zip
If one is the only person downloading, he/se has a cap of about 1.01MB/s

Kaboofa
March 2nd, 2006, 16:44

If you release QW for PSP I would gladly host a QuakeWorld PSP server on my dedicated server!

gpeters
March 4th, 2006, 07:30
Kaboofa, Thanks for the file hosting. It is no longer needed though. I got AdHoc Quake for PSP to connect to a server without the pak0 mod. I now have set of config files for the original quake files that use a menu system to launch various options such as quick-chat menu, for on-the-fly trash talk in pspquake. It also has a multiple server connections menu and stores up to 4 quake servers that are preconfigured to PSP-Quake, IHOC, RuneQuake, and Shareware CTF -that can be connected to by pressing circle, square, cross, and triangle.There are a lot of other controls that make use of hot keys. To save myself bandwidth, I am taking my file off of my server and I recommend you do the same as these configs will use far less bandwidth.

Here is a link to my new method for getting the most out of psp quake. Use the original pak0.pak file now and trash my mod. by using the original pak0, this means this method will support shareware users as well.

http://garretpeters.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=11&pid=31#pid31

Chris, is there a console command I can use to launch the wifi for ad hoc and for infrastructure? for example: +infrastructure (access point) +adhoc

tomski
March 10th, 2006, 13:46
This is all very exciting, but I don't suppose anyone running Quake on a 2.0+ PSP has got multiplayer working yet have they? Infrastructure or otherwise.

WiFi needs kernelmode access which the eloader 0.95 has got right?!

If anyone has any news to the contrary I would love to hear about it.

tomski
March 10th, 2006, 13:48
WiFi needs kernelmode access which the eloader 0.95 has got right?!

I mean HASN'T got ...sorry!

Privateer
March 10th, 2006, 15:21
When I unzipped it I only found an Eboot, and when I SeiPSP'd it, the game looked like it'd work, but when I started it said it failed to find some file (gfx.wad or something). Are there other files I need to get elsewhere for this?

gpeters
March 11th, 2006, 06:27
you need to download the shareware files for quake. get them from id softwares site and place the pak0.pak file in your PSP\GAME\QUAKE directory of your memory stick. That should get you up and running. If you want to play the full ersion of the game you will have to purchase or "find" the pak1.pak file and place it in the same directory.

daibo
March 12th, 2006, 00:49
hey g i'm on your server right now trying to frag. Everyday i logged on but noone seems to be there, except for today. Are you sure all of them played on a psp? Some seem to be too good, too agile. It would be like cheating playing on a computer.

gpeters
March 12th, 2006, 02:53
yeah, there are windows players using it now. I even get on there occasionally and play as I think I may have seen you...? did you leave your name as PLAYER? If you can get more psp players to join, I will monitor for windows users again and write a config file for psp to vote-kick users off of the server... so when you see a windows player(someone obviously chatting with a keyboard) on there, you can kick him. Did you get my old pak1 to connect? My website doesnt sho anyone downloaded my config driven menu system for psp. Check my website for details- the link is in a previous post I made on this thread. The config package does make the game more playable so you can keep up with other players. Post in my forums if you need help getting it to work.

xypex982
March 12th, 2006, 04:55
I know it has been asked but I don't think it's been answered, can you play multiplayer wither ad-hoc or infranstructer on a 2.0 psp?

daibo
March 12th, 2006, 09:58
yeah I was Player, had been too lazy too change the config file. You was G-man right? Playing on a psp too? 'cause you seemed to not being able to keep up like me. As for connecting, I just added "bind ~ "connect yourserverip"" to the configfile and connect with select. What do you mean your configfile makes the game more playable? As in better control scheme?
I've tried to get more psp players on your server. Been posting in the pspupdates forums, but not much interest. I'm going to try once more now. Maybe you should sign up there and make a new thread with a guide, that would attract more players.
Edit:
I 've uploaded here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=977QDO2U) my config files for every one who wants an easy install.
That's my control scheme:
analog nub : mouselook;
triangle : forward;
cross: backward;
circle : strafe right;
square : strafe left;
right trigger : shoot;
left trigger : jump;
right arrow : change weapon;
up arrow : move up (in water);
down arrow : move down (in water);
left arrow : center view;
select : connect to gpeters' server

Malksta
March 12th, 2006, 16:11
im having problems getting this to work.
pak0.pak file is in PSP/GAME/QUAKE
so is the psp.cfg thing
but i keep getting a gfx.wad error when trying to
run the game. pls help me i am running 1.5 firmware

daibo
March 12th, 2006, 16:57
or everyone who hasn't got quake to work yet, download this (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HGNUX890) . It's the ready to copy quake folder with the shareware pak.
Just place the content of the archive in the psp\game folder on your memory stick and there you go.

Malksta
March 12th, 2006, 17:16
i got it working now.
now all i need to do is try to make the internet work :confused:

Malksta
March 12th, 2006, 17:58
if i upgrade to 2.0 can i still use quake multiplayer using fanjitas eboot loader?

daibo
March 12th, 2006, 18:02
Afaik no multiplayer on 2.0+

gpeters
March 12th, 2006, 19:06
diabo... that is all I did was bound buttons to a quake server ans start a singleplayer game... but I have a menu system that allows you to chat, use runes, and tons of other things like use the hook. The control scheme is not the same as yours, but you are welcome to download it and change it in the autoexec.
Even if you dont like it, everyone shopuld give it a try. You wont be disappointed, and if you dont like the control scheme, you can change almost every key without messing up the rest of the configs functionality. Here is the link to my forum where you can download it. If you like it, please post feedback on how we can make it better.

http://garretpeters.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=11

pspfan
March 13th, 2006, 07:48
Do we need the pak1.pak to play on your server?

daibo
March 13th, 2006, 08:13
I don't know. I for myself have it. Just download pspquake with the shareware pak file and try to connect. Read my previous posts!

gpeters
March 14th, 2006, 03:45
Yes, pak1 is required to play on my server. However, you can play shareware CTF without pak1. I think you push X to connect to it if you are using my psp configs.

nexus one
March 15th, 2006, 01:14
Hey Garret, was a version ever released that fixed the dead zone problem on some analog nubs, or is that still a work in progress?

gpeters
March 15th, 2006, 07:10
Nope, if you find it, let me know. I beleive Chris S. and Peter M. are still working on this for thenext release, but I haven't seen them post anywhere in a while.

nexus one
March 15th, 2006, 11:35
Will do... and likewise! Thanks for the prompt response.

cswindle
March 15th, 2006, 19:47
Nope, if you find it, let me know. I beleive Chris S. and Peter M. are still working on this for thenext release, but I haven't seen them post anywhere in a while.We have both been busy, it is looking like we will be releasing a version soon, I think that most of the bugs have been sorted out now. A lot of time that we have been spending is to get it to reliably work on v2+.

Chris

nexus one
March 16th, 2006, 00:43
Sweet! Just glad to hear this didn't become vapourware so close to completion, like the Duke 3D port did :(

Thanks!

Be3f
March 22nd, 2006, 12:16
Good work! ;) I've played with 2 my freinds (Local) and it was amazing DEATHMATCH!! :p
But a little notice - This is a modification of the PeterM's port, isn't it? But original port runs at 480x272, but this only at 320x240 (or smth-like-this). How to change rez in this port?

Tassadar
February 3rd, 2008, 19:13
how do you install this quake

bah
February 3rd, 2008, 19:33
Download this (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp-quake-1-ver-1-1-85515.html) (a much more recent, more advanced port with hardware rendering amongst other benefits) and just follow the instructions in the included readme.

HaloBro35
February 6th, 2008, 16:54
OK so I downloaded this and made it work... but how the hell do i play online?