PDA

View Full Version : Made my PSP region free!

Gizzy98
January 29th, 2006, 23:24
Hi all,

After trying to fool my 1.5 Jap PSP into thinking it is a 1.52 (to run a movie UMD) it now plays Region 1 and Region 2 UMDs!

It is late at night so I may just be barking mad (Got the better half to check I wasnt dreaming it though)

I used Wab Version Changer V2 and selected Version 1.52 on the boot screen, put the disc in and it didnt run, no error about wrong version just that it could not start. To make sure I didnt screw it up I got another Region 2 UMD to play, it ran. I also tried a Region 1 film Final Fantasy-Spirits Within, this also ran.

Has anyone else come across this?

I couldnt believe it but this may be old news as I havnt read the forum for a while.

Cheers,

Adam

Gizzy98
January 30th, 2006, 07:52
38 views and no replies? Is this common knowledge as I thought it wasnt possible to make the PSP region free?

sin`pl
January 30th, 2006, 09:03
well, what do you want to except from us?

WOW COOL DUDE KEEP UP NOW SCREENS PLEASE K?

bill00000
January 30th, 2006, 14:32
I though only movies were region encoded. Was the region 2 UMD a game? What region is Japan?

cloud_952
January 30th, 2006, 15:27
Movies and music UMDs are region encoded. The games list a region, but the PSP can play them regardless. Anyway, Japan is region 2.

Gizzy98
January 30th, 2006, 16:40
Thanks for the Sarcasm Sin`pl, I assume ur message means u want screen shots?

Thing is screen shots dont confirm that it is a Region 1 UMD in a Region 2 PSP etc, I thought I could try filming it but trying to figure out the best way how to? Anyone live in Swindon I could show?

As far as I know Bill games are currently region free but movies are locked to the specific region, I was using a Region 1 copy of Resident Evil and a Region 2 version of Fast and Furious.

Gizzy98
January 30th, 2006, 17:27
Right, I managed to film it on my phone and convert it to AVI.

The link for the download is :

http://files.filefront.com/PSPmp4AVI/;4689552;;/fileinfo.html

The left PSP is my USA FW2.00 and the right one is my Jap FW1.5, the Resident Evil disc is a Region 1 and the Fast and Furious disc is Region 2. As you can see the Resident Evil plays in both PSP's but the Fast and the Furious UMD only plays in the Region 2 player on the right and the USA one gives the error to say check the region.

I dont know how it worked as I didnt even want it region free (the reason why I have 2 PSP's) I only wanted to play the Region 2 1.52 UMD on my Jap 1.5 :/

Cheers

Gizzy98
January 31st, 2006, 09:33
Still no reply? I assume this is common knowledge now then? Sorry for wasting ur time then.

bill00000
January 31st, 2006, 13:28
Settle down... Only four hours between posts... I personally don't bother with UMD movies. I have no reason to watch movies over and over, so I use my memory stick. I'm sure a lot of people will find this very interesting, because it means it's software, not hardware for region encoding.

Gizzy98
January 31st, 2006, 14:02
Thanks m8,

I just expected a reply after Sins sarcasm. No one has downloaded the file yet so I assume that as soon as someone does and posts here no one will belive the post (tbh I wouldnt either)

I usually watch films off the memory stick but ive got some UMD's of films that I like that I wanted originals of (on UMD)

NSXR
January 31st, 2006, 14:58
Old news ;-)
Have being using this program for months! :D

Gizzy98
January 31st, 2006, 19:52
Thanks m8,

At least I know why not many peeps have posted lol

Cheers

THE ANSWER
February 1st, 2006, 10:37
What program is this? I want my whit psp to be region free too, that woul make her (my white psp the female) perfect.

Gizzy98
February 2nd, 2006, 11:32
See my 1st post m8, thats exactly what I done to make it region free. All by accident

JonnyTanna
December 12th, 2009, 17:10
This this trick still work? And how come I couldn't find this post in 2006. Damn google.

PS. Apologies for necrobumping, I just wanted to have this post listed on my lists of posts so I could refer back to it.