PDA

View Full Version : Sony: PS3 Still For "Early Adopters" - PSP for "Ghetto Kids

wraggster
January 15th, 2009, 20:39
The PlayStation 3 was released in North America in November 2006. That's over two years ago. So we're well out of the "early adopter" phase, right? Not according to Sony we're not!

In an interview with Gamasutra, Sony's John Koller has said:

The PSP, from a handheld perspective, it's more of a 13-17 year old [demographic], multi-ethnic, a bit lower-income as well. The PS3 is still in its early adopter phase, tech-oriented consumer... they're interested in the multi-functionality of the system.
Alternate headline: Sony says PSP for "Ghetto Kids".

http://kotaku.com/5131658/sony-ps3-still-for-early-adopters

inlovewithi
January 15th, 2009, 23:00
Just what I've been saying for the past 3 years, ghetto people love the PSP. Why? It's more expensive, and it has a name brand like Sony. I live in the Bronx, and even though the DS is killing the PSP, then only handheld you see around here are PSPs. It's all part of the hip hop influence to try and live above what you can afford, bling, bling.

wolfpack
January 15th, 2009, 23:07
Im white and i have a psp

Does that make me ghetto?

I sure as hell dont think so :x

Buddy4point0
January 15th, 2009, 23:19
LOL!
Yea... actually, most black people I know use a PSP instead of an Ipod, but don't play games on it.

W/e, I use my PSP mainly for gaming and partially for movies.
I never listen to music on it.

Veskgar
January 16th, 2009, 04:18
That's funny. Now they're touting the PSP as a 13-17 demographic? When it was released and for a while thereafter it was said over and over again by SONY that the PSP is mostly for a 23-29 year old demographic.

I still think where SONY is losing out hugely is that the PSP games for kids suck. Or well, there really aren't much to choose from unless you want licensed lazy games like TMNT or Transformers. Its been my observation that kids can't seem to stay interested in many, if any PSP games. Well, except the Mega Man remakes by Capcom which are excellent.

More quality kid-friendly games geared towards kids or families and I think it will help the PSP tons.

dangee
January 16th, 2009, 10:48
Yo guy.
Check it ahhht.
that's the sh**
Give me five.

..Can I change my status from 'DCemu Regular' to 'Ghetto Kid' now, please?

ray13j
January 16th, 2009, 11:41
Just what I've been saying for the past 3 years, ghetto people love the PSP. Why? It's more expensive, and it has a name brand like Sony. I live in the Bronx, and even though the DS is killing the PSP, then only handheld you see around here are PSPs. It's all part of the hip hop influence to try and live above what you can afford, bling, bling.

Your funny.

pibs
January 16th, 2009, 16:57
General games Sony: PS3 Still For "Early Adopters" -

What the heck? Early adopters? Sony please fire your PR spokesman!

dejkirkby
January 16th, 2009, 17:53
What a stupid comment by this Sony moron.
I have 2 PS3's and several PSP's, so I certainly take offence to being called a Ghetto Kid and to assume I'm on lower income?
This angers me!

acn010
January 16th, 2009, 18:23
i are ghetto???
i have 7 psp's now... does that make me supper ghetto????
i listen to music on my psp with these boys
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9193/black1hx4.jpg
and my 16GB memstick im fine for my days worth

Mauragon
January 17th, 2009, 02:28
not entirely true. I'm a white collar worker and I got officemates who own PSPs and we're between 20-35 years old. PSPs are already expensive for us let alone a PS3. But I do want to own a PS3 when a custom firmware is made hehehe

rageteam1000
January 17th, 2009, 07:44
I just read the gamasutra article and I think the topic is misleading :

consider the example from the article:
"...How does it compare to the rest of SCEA's hardware lineup? "The PSP, from a handheld perspective, it's more of a 13-17 year old [demographic], multi-ethnic, a bit lower-income as well. The PS3 is still in its early adopter phase, tech-oriented consumer... they're interested in the multi-functionality of the system..."

the rest of the article talks about demographics and who exactly is possibly buying the system. which i also think is off myself. I know people who own a ipod, ps2, ps3 and a psp.

animekid4
January 17th, 2009, 13:17
...omg sony......just...just...DIE.

kjetil1991
January 18th, 2009, 08:20
ha! im not a ghetto kid, in your face sony but i own 2 psps

ownall
January 18th, 2009, 22:23
The word ghetto has nothing to do with race

ownall
January 18th, 2009, 22:28
LOL!
Yea... actually, most black people I know use a PSP instead of an Ipod, but don't play games on it.

W/e, I use my PSP mainly for gaming and partially for movies.
I never listen to music on it.

just cuz someone is black dose not make them ghetto or poor