PDA

View Full Version : Snes9xTYL 0.3 coming soon!

Kaiser
January 30th, 2006, 23:06
Seems a little teaser was slipped in the news section over at http://yoyofr.proboards44.com/

How soon? What new features will it have?
We don't know yet, but I'm pretty sure everyone in the PSP scene Is eagerly awaiting this release.

Credit to miemt11 for the discovery.

Original forum topic here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83295&posted=1#post83295)

Voltron
January 31st, 2006, 00:45
Oh man. It was a tease just to come upon the title of this post. I thought the release was here. I have been long anticipating a new update for this amazing EMU. I hope it is a reality soon.

By the way, does anyone know if anyone is still working on the PSPGBA EMU by psp298?? Or what about PSPGenesis?

kyus
January 31st, 2006, 01:17
buy a ds, superpass and supercard. and a 2gb cf. there. gba, and ds stuff. gba on psp won't be possible. it demands more than psx and n64 emulation on pc! I use my psp for movies and homebrew. I have to say I never play actual psp games. They suck. nds sucks for emulators and homebrew, but the games are astounding. perfect balance of console goodness IMO.

Festizzio
January 31st, 2006, 01:23
buy a ds, superpass and supercard. and a 2gb cf. there. gba, and ds stuff. gba on psp won't be possible. it demands more than psx and n64 emulation on pc! I use my psp for movies and homebrew. I have to say I never play actual psp games. They suck. nds sucks for emulators and homebrew, but the games are astounding. perfect balance of console goodness IMO.
Lol, right, GBA requires more than psx and n64, whatever.

vincesecuricor2005
January 31st, 2006, 01:35
wonder if starfox and such will finally work well!

Voltron
January 31st, 2006, 01:50
buy a ds, superpass and supercard. and a 2gb cf. there. gba, and ds stuff. gba on psp won't be possible. it demands more than psx and n64 emulation on pc!

Off Topic I know but I have a DS but have not gotten into the DS homebrew scene. Kyus, with what you said above, does this mean it would be possible to play my GBA ROMS instead of having to insert my carts into the DS everytime I want to switch games?

Anyway, I hope it is not true that it is entirely impossible for the PSP to ever be able to handle GBA. That would be depressing.

vincesecuricor2005
January 31st, 2006, 02:03
its not TOO far away from what would be a 'playable' emu at the mo' so im hopin it'll happen, cant see why not.

felonyr301
January 31st, 2006, 02:18
where art thou fanjita who has made the impossible possible can surely find someone to work on the gba on the psp or himself....... surely there has to be someone out there who can make the gba on the psp possible... there has to be someone lol seriously is the gba is really being avoided or someones working on it now and just keeping quiet till its ready...please i hope so

chrisrulz555
January 31st, 2006, 03:16
I asked fanjita very nicely to have a try at it but he has not yet responed:p

geise69
January 31st, 2006, 03:18
Actually kyus is right. I was playing playstation emulators (bleem! and virtual game station) on my old windows 98 350mhz pc fine. once gba emulation came around i needed a 1ghz to run gba emulation. trust me on this, it will take god himself to make a fullspeed gba emulator on a 333mhz psp. now i'm sure there could be someone that could speed up the one we have now but never to full speed. also to stay on topic i can't wait till this new snestyl comes out. I also wish Y's would still work on his snes emu. would be nice to see both updated.

miemt11
January 31st, 2006, 03:47
yeah, that geise69 is right about GBA Emulator for PSP, it also took me to upgrape my PC to AMD Duron 950 to be able to VisualBoyAdvance on PC smooth.

Since, the GBA emulator for PSP also ,using the VisualBoyAdvance 1.70 source SDL. smooth GBA on PSP is really hard.

Btw, PSP also have different structure compare to intel cpu. Also hard to say no.

Kaiser
January 31st, 2006, 04:13
Someone could pull it off eventually. Just don't expect a smooth one until people understand how to utilize the PSP's hardware fully and have optimized the hell out of it. On a related note., the 0.3 version of TYL will be in fact using some of the PSP's hardware no other progam has yet to touch. The discoveries made making this emualtor will help all coders utilize the PSP's hardware more.

Hi, Received the source from latest version. Yoyo told me about a bug in the mode7 tuning I did. So I need to take a look to it... Yoyo need also to fix some stuff before release. But at least give us some days... We will try to release before two weeks. If you are lucky may be beginning of next week. Yoyo is wondering about which features need to be added to this release. Personnaly I am for game genie feature... Because quite a lot of people requested it. Yoyo talked also about mp3 players feature as it is already available in the other emu. Of course the main event is the sound moved to the Media Engine. and mode7 tuning. See you guys. He he he Its going to rock within two weeks on the forums

Media Engine is a second CPU inside the CPU. We use it as a coprocessor to do the sound generation of the SPC700 (snes sound chip). Now you will have 44 Khz full audio quality at the same speed as "no sound with emulation". The SPC700 CPU is still emulated on the main cpu I believe... the sound GENERATION is done on the ME.

chrisrulz555
January 31st, 2006, 04:21
I was playing playstation emulators (bleem! and virtual game station) on my old windows 98 350mhz pc fine. once gba emulation came around i needed a 1ghz to run gba emulation.updated.

Thats odd because on my old pentium windows 98 350mhz I could play all GBA games, perhaps it was just your video card that was holding it back?

Ziim
January 31st, 2006, 05:48
I played my first GBA Emulator on a p2 400 no problems or slowdown at all. I think the Psp could handle it.

.:PSP1.0:.
January 31st, 2006, 07:00
Damm.. Its gonna be awesome.. Can't wait! ;)

pkmusicmaker
January 31st, 2006, 08:06
It's so nice to see an update of this emulator, the updates have slowed down quite a bit for all emulators since the early fall and it's good to hear people working on it still. I hope the release is worth the wait and it won't be the last.

By the way, my old computer couldn't handle GBA emulation and I took it as a sign for me to buy a new computer. SNES worked fine on it, so this whole thing makes sense.

slayer2psp
January 31st, 2006, 08:44
lets hope starfox and the other games that are super slow will now work. the neo cd emu is by far the best psp emu great games good sound good frame rate just awsome lets hope the snes emu will be as good some day

S41N7
January 31st, 2006, 08:56
Off Topic I know but I have a DS but have not gotten into the DS homebrew scene. Kyus, with what you said above, does this mean it would be possible to play my GBA ROMS instead of having to insert my carts into the DS everytime I want to switch games?

Anyway, I hope it is not true that it is entirely impossible for the PSP to ever be able to handle GBA. That would be depressing.

Thats right and in addition you can also play your backed up DS roms ans NES roms too. I agree with original post DS plus PsP are great (alone there is something lacking) :D

kyus
January 31st, 2006, 10:24
Yeah voltron. after you flashme, you can get rid of the passme, so all you need is the supercard and the cf at all times. It autoboots, so you can boot whatever roms you wish from the menu. GBA roms take alot longer to load than ds roms for some reason, but gba has .cht support, 4 state save slots and a whole host of other features.

Thanks to those who backed me up on the emulation front, I'm not trying to disappoint anyone, just stating hard facts. The gba is difficult to emulate. I don't believe the guy who claims he could play gba fine on a pentium 2 400mhz, because gba is sluggish on my little brothers celeron 500mhz machine. All I know is that if a fullspeed gba emulator appeared on psp one day, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. The only nintendo consoles I use psp for are nes and snes. all gameboy and gba games look best in their native resolutions anyway.

For psp, it might surprise you to learn that psx emulation will be a breeze, and someday be as awesome as snes emulation. n64 emulation I wouldn't put down entirely either, as I used to run an emulator called Corn 64 on an old 300mhz machine. The psp is the ONLY handheld that is any good for these emulators. The GP2X doesn't have the controls or the power, and the ds has a very basic emulator library.

Solo761
January 31st, 2006, 11:28
Thanks to those who backed me up on the emulation front, I'm not trying to disappoint anyone, just stating hard facts. The gba is difficult to emulate. I don't believe the guy who claims he could play gba fine on a pentium 2 400mhz, because gba is sluggish on my little brothers celeron 500mhz machine. All I know is that if a fullspeed gba emulator appeared on psp one day, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. The only nintendo consoles I use psp for are nes and snes. all gameboy and gba games look best in their native resolutions anyway.

For psp, it might surprise you to learn that psx emulation will be a breeze, and someday be as awesome as snes emulation. n64 emulation I wouldn't put down entirely either, as I used to run an emulator called Corn 64 on an old 300mhz machine. The psp is the ONLY handheld that is any good for these emulators. The GP2X doesn't have the controls or the power, and the ds has a very basic emulator library.

I think it's ridicuolus to make these kind of claims. Comparing PSP CPU and PC CPU is like comparing pears and apples. Architectures are completely different, and MHz don't mean that much even in PC world (my Athlon 64 3000+ on 2GHz has similar performance to P4 at 3GHz).

Those old emus (Bleem! and VGS) worked on old compters, yes, but did games looked like they look on current emus? And not to mention that Bleem! and VGS were commercial. And people who created them were paid to do it. People who code todays emus aren't paid, i.e. it's not their job, they do it in their spare time. And since todays computers are more powerfull why bother optimizing the code to run on 350MHz PC, it's good enough if it runs on 800-1000MHz, better use the time to improve compatibility. PSP is rather new toy, and coders have yet to figure out all of its capabilities. And since $ony is constantly trying to hammer all nails to homebrew coffin, why even bother to learn how to code. I believe if that wasn't the case, there'd be a lot more of homebrew software.

And why would GBA be harder to emulate then PSX or even N64? I have yet to see N64 emu that works so easily as GBA emus, not to mention the kind of graphics PSX and N64 emus have to render and in what resolution, and what kind of graphics is on the GBA games...

Tomppa
January 31st, 2006, 14:00
If you think PsOne/N64 are easier to emulate than GBA, don't you think people would make a PsOne/N64 emulator before GBA? From these three, N64 is the hardest to emulate on psp. GBA... PsOne... Thinking... Some great games there.. I'd have to get a new stick with PsOne :( I think it would be worth it anyways :) I'm going too far in the future.. Too far from the topic..

I think that my Snes emulator needed updating already... I had to turn sound off to run Star Ocean smooth currently.. But if this makes no difference in this new version, I could even here those fancy sounds :)

urherenow
January 31st, 2006, 15:00
The fast N64 emulators were all pretty much HLE. Something that's hard to do with a system people really don't know much about...

There is only 1 true low level N64 emulation project that has ever been worked on (and it is currently in work :P ) and it will be part of MESS. I garantee the emulator, when finished, will never run on a PSP. Not enough resources. Period. Doesn't matter how good the CPU might be when running optimized code...

lemme refrase that... it will never run at an acceptable speed ;)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
January 31st, 2006, 16:34
Cant wait been gagging for this for months the thought of f-zero and mario kart at full speed makes me week at the knees.BRING it on plz....

gensuke
February 4th, 2006, 04:21
trust me on this, it will take god himself to make a fullspeed gba emulator on a 333mhz psp. now i'm sure there could be someone that could speed up the one we have now but never to full speed.

Aren't the GBA and the PSP are based on the same CPU family (used also in GP32, GP2X and several PDAs with differents clock speeds)?

If so, you can just think about letting the ARM CPU execute the code natively and all you have to emulate are the graphic chips.

This
http://gpadvance.sourceforge.net

works this way.

Regards.