PDA

View Full Version : Forbes profiles Kotick, calls Rock Band 'shameless knockoff of Guitar Hero'

wraggster
January 19th, 2009, 22:05
Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick is the cover story for the latest issue of Forbes magazine, and the article's got one helluva quote -- and it's not even from the man himself. While you might balk at the businessman's lack of gaming credentials (read: he doesn't play games), this is the line, written by Forbes itself, that'll cause more than a few raised eyebrows: "EA also teamed with MTV to sell Rock Band, a shameless knockoff of Guitar Hero that added drums, bass and a microphone to the world of make-believe rock stars."

The decidedly negative tone without attribution is uncharacteristic for the magazine, and also feels a bit ... off? We know the Harmonix-RedOctane schism can be a bit confusing, but when the creators of the hit franchise are the ones making Rock Band -- and doing the multi-instrument thing first -- is that really the best choice of words?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/19/forbes-profiles-kotick-calls-rock-band-shameless-knockoff-of-g/

PSP 101
January 19th, 2009, 22:42
Ha! Looks like Bob does not know anything about the history of his own money cash cow(Guitar Hero). If I were him I would take that comment back, because Guitar Hero was origanlly Harminox's idea. Besides I am actually liking Rock Band more lately.

mike_jmg
January 20th, 2009, 02:45
Should be like, Rockband "shameless upgrade from Guitar Hero" haha

havoc_012
January 20th, 2009, 22:41
If he played any of the music games he would know that Harmonix is keeping the music game genre alive, and Neversoft will slowly kill it.