PDA

View Full Version : The Good news thread

shadowprophet
January 20th, 2009, 18:45
Where do we go when we just dont know, how do we relight the flame when its cold. why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing and when do we learn to control, Tragic words spoken by a true prophet of our times.
lets face it, we all pretend we arent when we put on our game faces, but we are all feeling the grip of this economic crisis in one way or another. Some much worse then others.

Just recently my wife got the good news that work days would now be two hours long in an effort to give everyone in the shift cycle a chance to work. times are tough indeed, but we are strong people. Time's will get better and these hardships we all face will be nothing but a fractured fairy tale someday.

You know, ya take the good, ya take the bad you take them both and blahh blahh.... I guess i'm not feeling it as much as some would in my place, heck, as long as my family is fed, and we have a roof over our heads, and some light to read by, thats all I really need. I sure cant recall a time when things have been so critical before though.

Good news is a rare thing in this day and age, really for anyone.

I dont want the first person to come in here with pity. The strong dont need pity, We are all in some way or another feeling this and it's not fair to complain or expect pity. I submit The Good news thread, in this place we dont share pity or sorrow stories.

In this Thread we remember how lucky we are to have what we still do possess and we count our fortunes because of that while recognizing that not all of us may be so fortunate. I suppose my good news for the day, would be my brand new nephew who was born very sick on december 12'th had made a full recovery and has already spoken his first word, "okay so it may have been gas but I could have swore he said unc" either way it will forever remain his first word and to hell and damnation with all whom say otherwise
:p

on a side note, I was cleaning out my car and I found this really neat mp3 player, called a zen stone, it's pretty cool 2g, I have no clue who it belongs to, So untill someone steps up to claim it. it's now shadowprophets. i'm tempted to keep it. it's realy neat, But I question the morality of that. is it really so different from stealing to find something and never return it to it's rightful owner,

So i've got that morality issue to contend with. anyway. i'll end this post by saying. Thing's in retrospect couldn't be better for me. I still have all the people in my life that are important to me. and if thats not enough to begin counting blessings, then I wouldn't know what is.

I encourage others to share their good news, in a time like today when every kind of news one hears is so negitive
just to be able to tip the scales in ones favor is a blessing in it's own right,

Brother Shades,

dejkirkby
January 20th, 2009, 21:22
What a cool idea for a thread, Shades.
I tip my hat to thee.
I'll add my little bit here then.
On Saturday Night a group consisting of myself, my wife Lorraine and some of our very good friends will be hitting the town.
The kicker is we are all dressed as Smurfs. Yep. Smurfs. Bright blue body paint, white pants, blond wigs for the girls, and smurf hats.
The weird thing is I can't wait to go!!!

ICE
January 20th, 2009, 21:26
Right now I am using my Eee Pc 900 with a brand spanking new runcore SSD and it is blisteringly fast. Thats my good news and I'm quite happy about it.

fg-54
January 20th, 2009, 21:43
i started looking for old friends that i had not seen in years and already found 3 of them :3

Eviltaco64
January 20th, 2009, 22:02
Despite the bad economy, I got an hourly raise of 50 cents at my job. I still have friends, a computer, a TV, and some great games to play on it as well. :)

America has had recessions, depressions, etc, and I know we'll pull through once more.

EDIT: On top of that, I'm going to be able to replace my TV that died last Saturday. Rest assured, it's not HD as I most certainly don't have the money for something like that, but it's a steal at $25. :)

blackrave
January 20th, 2009, 22:38
I like your post. I think you should ask your wife and children and their and your friends if they know anything about the Zen Stone; if not, keep it without any morality issues.

I'm going through rough times myself, but I'm reading self-help books and just today started to get professional help, so it will work out.

On a good note, I just accidentally dropped my laptop on the floor while it was running, but it doesn't seem affected by it in the slightest. Cool.

Also, the two most tiresome days of the week are over, and on Saturday, I'm celebrating Burns supper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_supper) with the Bergen Pipe Band (http://www.bergen-pipeband.com/) and will eat haggis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis).

BlueCrab
January 21st, 2009, 01:36
I like this idea... so....

TOPIC STICKIED! :D

dejkirkby
January 21st, 2009, 09:40
I like this idea... so....

TOPIC STICKIED! :D
Good call!

blackrave
January 21st, 2009, 10:38
I just had physical education. We played volleyball, and two friends and I got a new class record; 114 ball passes. Then, my team won the match. That made me happy.

Good call!

I agree.

Blue Protoman
January 21st, 2009, 18:39
-Obama is finally in office.
-I just got DC homebrew working.

mike_jmg
January 22nd, 2009, 06:51
Haha this is nice, great Idea

My good news, I started going to the gym again, and I'm planing to keep going. On a minor downside I can't move my arms freely because of muscle soreness

acn010
January 22nd, 2009, 19:20
lol my good news is my tax return came back and my tax return money is 2,780 from the city and 600 from state :D

gunntims0103
January 22nd, 2009, 19:52
lol my good news is my tax return came back and my tax return money is 2,780 from the city and 600 from state :D

damn, that is good news :eek:

My good news was that i went out and brough a fender strat :)

Blue Protoman
January 22nd, 2009, 23:04
I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico!

mike_jmg
February 3rd, 2009, 04:48
It's been a while since someone posted good news so here it goes:

- I got pretty wasted this past saturday and I thought I'd lost my cellphone, but it turned out I didn't :thumbup:

- I just got the flash0 Gears of war theme I like, working on 5.00M33-6 with custom background and waves

LilSwish722
February 3rd, 2009, 19:09
I lost my 30GB Video iPod and it turns out it was in my grans driveway since Thursday. The good news is...it was frozen to the ground for 4 days covered in ice and soaking wet...didn't get ran over and still worked with full battery :D

mike_jmg
June 29th, 2009, 21:03
I guess this thread aint very popular, no good news in a very long time, and it seems I'm the only one posting.

Anyway

Good news, I finally got a job, not like a dreamed one but It'll be good for now and for paying the repair bill of my newly aquired broken PS3 :thumbup:

wraggster
June 29th, 2009, 21:22
i fixed my lads broken xbox360 yesterday with an x clamp kit, also stuck it in a new xcm case too, looks da bomb now

Darksaviour69
June 29th, 2009, 21:35
i fixed my lads broken xbox360 yesterday with an x clamp kit, also stuck it in a new xcm case too, looks da bomb now

photo?

mike_jmg
August 10th, 2009, 04:13
Seems once again I'm the only one posting around here, but meh
I just got an Hp mini and I'm loving it, still need to get rid of some programs here and there, but so far it works great, already got it running firefox, I hate IE

masterchief929
August 10th, 2009, 07:27
I just set up a new Netgear router so now I finally have wireless internet again.

the_eternal_dark
August 26th, 2009, 04:23
Seems once again I'm the only one posting around here, but meh
I just got an Hp mini and I'm loving it, still need to get rid of some programs here and there, but so far it works great, already got it running firefox, I hate IE

Awww man, you should have got the Asus Eee PC 1101HA. 1366x768 resolution FTW!

I just got a bunch of free swag from Intel today. Nvidia stuff coming on Monday.

I also have my next set of SSD's picked out for my RAID 0 configuration.

Work sucked, but it was a short day. :thumbup:

Eviltaco64
August 26th, 2009, 09:02
I hooked my stereo back up. It sounds great. :)

mike_jmg
August 27th, 2009, 02:25
Awww man, you should have got the Asus Eee PC 1101HA. 1366x768 resolution FTW!

I just got a bunch of free swag from Intel today. Nvidia stuff coming on Monday.

I also have my next set of SSD's picked out for my RAID 0 configuration.

Work sucked, but it was a short day. :thumbup:

You may be right, I was looking foward to get an Hp mini for quite some time and when I saw the opportunity, I didn't think twice about geting it, but yeah 10-11 hours battery life and that kind of res, make a huge difference.

3 hours isn't that bad (yeah, I didn't got the 6 cell battery I wanted), most of the time I have a power outlet around, so no biggie, I also really like the looks of it, so far, it has been working great.

mike_jmg
October 3rd, 2009, 16:19
I won 7000 mexican pesos at the slots yesterday LOL

1 dollar = 13.50 mexican pesos

Eviltaco64
October 3rd, 2009, 18:12
I'm getting a SATA hard drive for my new computer soon. Then I can actually use it. :P

I'm also getting a Saturn modchip fairly soon.

VampDude
October 4th, 2009, 20:51
I just won a Dreamcast (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270464083320) unit, with a VMU for 99p (before the £4.95 postage). :cool:

Now I have something else to take apart (mainly to repair the Dreamcast I killed the other day), cheap parts. :p

mike_jmg
November 27th, 2009, 04:45
Just received my second 16GB micro sdhc memory stick, downside is, I have a lot of stuff to backup before I can use it, and it's taking forever.

But yay!!, 30GB worth of Homebrew, videos, music and stuff

Eviltaco64
November 27th, 2009, 05:26
I finally found a job. Getting paid tomorrow. :)

VampDude
November 27th, 2009, 13:43
I finally found a job. Getting paid tomorrow. :)

But you failed to deliver my newspaper... :confused:

mike_jmg
November 27th, 2009, 17:18
Lol ^

Eviltaco64
November 27th, 2009, 18:25
But you failed to deliver my newspaper... :confused:

You haven't paid in ages. Maybe that's why you didn't get it.

mike_jmg
January 6th, 2010, 01:48
Today I preordered God of War III Ultimate edition with the Pandora's box and all that stuff

VampDude
February 5th, 2010, 16:29
Yesterday: PS3slim 120GB > 320GB.

Today: Laptop 80GB > 120GB + External HDD 80GB.

Two days of good news, especially for me and the weekend being tomorrow. :cool:

BlueCrab
February 5th, 2010, 18:07
Recently bought a PS3, ordered a copy of Ar tonelico 3 for it (Japanese version), am currently installing various development tools on it (in Linux).

And to top it off, I sent in a broken Rock Band guitar for replacement under the warranty, the broken one was wired, and I got a wireless one in return. :D

EDIT: And as Shrygue pointed out below, this was apparently my 1000th post here, even though I've been here since the beginning.

Shrygue
February 5th, 2010, 18:21
Plus after being registered for nearly 6 years, you've also reached 1,000 posts. Congrats for making it this far!

As for me, I'll be getting a front metal frame for my HTC Touch Diamond 2 phone (aka the Topaz) to replace the current that's gotten scratched and dented in one corner. Also, I'll be replacing the digitizer too (the touch panel) as that's scratched as well and had stopped working at one point before. It got the dreaded Newton's Rings causing the top layer to cave inwards. Tape manage to solve the problem for now.

VampDude
February 5th, 2010, 20:46
As for me, I'll be getting a front metal frame for my HTC Touch Diamond 2 phone (aka the Topaz) to replace the current that's gotten scratched and dented in one corner. Also, I'll be replacing the digitizer too (the touch panel) as that's scratched as well and had stopped working at one point before. It got the dreaded Newton's Rings causing the top layer to cave inwards. Tape manage to solve the problem for now.

Poor build quality, or you should look after it. :p

My phone (LG Arena) has a metal front, which hasn't as of yet suffered a single scratch. :cool:

Shrygue
February 5th, 2010, 22:21
Vampdude: the phone was second hand and it was like that when I got it. Plus I do take great care of things like that.

Eviltaco64
February 9th, 2010, 07:32
Getting a 32" Sony FD Trinitron/WEGA (32FS100) for $50 pretty soon. It features a high-resolution (component/s-video 480i) flatscreen CRT and surely beats the hell out of my current 19" entry-level RCA TV with no input other than RF from 1990!

Oh, also got this for free:
http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/SX838.jpg
^ A Pioneer SX-838 receiver from 1974! It's built very well, powerful, and also my new receiver. :)

VampDude
February 14th, 2010, 21:06
Vampdude: the phone was second hand and it was like that when I got it. Plus I do take great care of things like that.

When I buy used phones, I always buy the replacement housing at the same time much to the expense on eBay from the dealings in phone parts and faulty phones for spares and repairs. :cool:

Getting a 32" Sony FD Trinitron/WEGA (32FS100) for $50 pretty soon. It features a high-resolution (component/s-video 480i) flatscreen CRT and surely beats the hell out of my current 19" entry-level RCA TV with no input other than RF from 1990!

480i? RF? Wow, you are forever behind. :p

Though at least you can still play retro, where I've had to say goodbye to playing HotD and Virtua Cop (for now). Which the answer for my HDTV was Time Crisis 4, where the gun is the worst thing I've held (not good). :(

Eviltaco64
February 15th, 2010, 07:30
480i? RF? Wow, you are forever behind. :p

Though at least you can still play retro, where I've had to say goodbye to playing HotD and Virtua Cop (for now). Which the answer for my HDTV was Time Crisis 4, where the gun is the worst thing I've held (not good). :(

Nah, I haven't used RF since the '90s. Just hook up a VCR and you have composite input.

I'm not doing too bad. I have one of the highest-quality SD CRTs which as you said are also compatible with light guns.

Apparently, some HD CRTs are compatible with light guns. These TVs are also nice because they have no native resolution and their black levels are perfect (as CRTs tend to display darker colors better while LCDs are better with brighter ones).

VampDude
March 7th, 2010, 18:00
I purchased a PSP on Friday for £90 after eBay removed it (because eBay doesn't understand the word homebrew), which will see me back into the handheld homebrew scene. Since I get bored on trians and playing Tepong on my KM900 makes me feel like a complete idiot when people stare. :eek:

Plus today, I purchased an Xbox 360 console with just the power supply and the T.V. lead for £66 (£52 before postage) which I sniped with only 6 seconds to go. Plus a wireless controller and a 20GB hard drive for an additional £42.15, which I believe my total of £108.15 wasn't bad considering the price from GAME (http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/Console/~r341299/Preowned-Xbox-360-20-GB-Console/?mid=341299&cm_mmc=BigMouth-_-%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Xbox_360-_-%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Preowned _Xbox_360_20_GB_Console-_-link) where I would only earn 4% (£5.20) for my reward card (ever so mathematical). :cool:

Hopefully Shenmue II works with the 360, because I seriously want to play it and watch the DVD content (I currently have no interest in any 360 titles). :)

Eviltaco64
March 7th, 2010, 18:22
I purchased a PSP on Friday for £90 after eBay removed it (because eBay doesn't understand the word homebrew), which will see me back into the handheld homebrew scene. Since I get bored on trians and playing Tepong on my KM900 makes me feel like a complete idiot when people stare. :eek:

I almost won a PSP-3000 from a stupid machine. I was damn close, too. :(

Plus today, I purchased an Xbox 360 console with just the power supply and the T.V. lead for £66 (£52 before postage) which I sniped with only 6 seconds to go. Plus a wireless controller and a 20GB hard drive for an additional £42.15, which I believe my total of £108.15 wasn't bad considering the price from GAME (http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/Console/~r341299/Preowned-Xbox-360-20-GB-Console/?mid=341299&cm_mmc=BigMouth-_-%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Xbox_360-_-%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Preowned _Xbox_360_20_GB_Console-_-link) where I would only earn 4% (£5.20) for my reward card (ever so mathematical). :cool:

Hopefully Shenmue II works with the 360, because I seriously want to play it and watch the DVD content (I currently have no interest in any 360 titles). :)

Shenmue II should work. Just be wary of the backwards compatibility (skip to 1:25 or so):

m367rBM5zDE

I know MvC2 is already on XBLA. This is just how the original Xbox title runs on the 360.

VampDude
March 7th, 2010, 23:34
I almost won a PSP-3000 from a stupid machine. I was damn close, too. :(

I remember when there were GBA's in those machines that has a Tetris style game called Stacker (I think that's the machine you mean?) where you get a prize depending on the displaying number, but I have never seen anyone win the prizes because nobody makes it to the final stages of the game in the noisy shopping centres. Though I have seen missing prizes in some machines.

Once when I was at a fair, in 1996 there was an original Gameboy in a penny slider machine, which I got told to leave the arcade because I shook the machine and the pennies dropped and the alarm sounded. :p

Shenmue II should work. Just be wary of the backwards compatibility (skip to 1:25 or so):

m367rBM5zDE

I know MvC2 is already on XBLA. This is just how the original Xbox title runs on the 360.

Backwards compatibility is always tetchy with each console, hopefully Shenmue II plays better. :)

BlueCrab
March 8th, 2010, 02:38
I remember when there were GBA's in those machines that has a Tetris style game called Stacker (I think that's the machine you mean?) where you get a prize depending on the displaying number, but I have never seen anyone win the prizes because nobody makes it to the final stages of the game in the noisy shopping centres. Though I have seen missing prizes in some machines.Stacker is rigged in such a way that the total odds of winning, even if you do get to the top level are something to the effect of 1 in 800 (its really not hard to get to the top level -- just impossible to win once you get there).

Anyway... I bought two broken PS2s from a flea market today (the guy told me that neither would read discs at all). One of them has a bit of trouble reading discs, the other works perfectly. Now, if only I could find my PS2 network adapter, I'd be all set.

mike_jmg
March 9th, 2010, 15:30
I bought a used copy of Conker Live and Reloaded which is fully backwards compatible with the 360, yay

Also my car is getting finally fixed, I crashed last month, nothing happened to me but my car ended up pretty bad.

Thank God for car insurance, hope it turns out ok

VampDude
March 9th, 2010, 23:34
After three years, I'm taking small steps with my new PSP which came with 5.50 GEN B and I've updated to B2, C, D, D2 and I'm currently going to D3 in the hopes of fully accessing the PlayStation Store where I have much credit on my PS3... Store and homebrew. :cool:

mike_jmg
March 16th, 2010, 15:44
just bought this HDTV (http://www.youreviewelectronics.com/reviews/lcd-tv-reviews/vizio-vt420m-review/) to play God of War 3, and of course already got my pandora's box.

VampDude
March 27th, 2010, 18:16
I successfully X-clamped an Xbox360 which I purchased on eBay with the RRoD (also a victim of Microsoft's December hammer) as a little curiosity project as to how easy the clamping was. :cool:

Though sadly, even thought the console looks nice with the XCM Chameleon case I'm bored with it already since there really is no reason to have a second Xbox360. http://www.freedomcrowsnest.org/forum/images/smiles/unsure2.gif

Darksaviour69
March 27th, 2010, 19:07
I successfully X-clamped an Xbox360 which ...since there really is no reason to have a second Xbox360. http://www.freedomcrowsnest.org/forum/images/smiles/unsure2.gif

homebrew???

VampDude
March 27th, 2010, 21:25
homebrew???

Sadly, I only have single layer discs at the moment. So currently no homebrew for me, unless I can use a USB stick (which currently my main 360 doesn't read).

mike_jmg
April 17th, 2010, 22:01
Finally got back my car, it turned out better than when I first got it, I love it

Eviltaco64
April 19th, 2010, 20:37
I bought a Sega Sports Dreamcast, and may I say it's good to be reunited with the console. :)

VampDude
April 19th, 2010, 22:18
I bought a Sega Sports Dreamcast, and may I say it's good to be reunited with the console. :)

Are you going to tear it apart for any mods? :)

I never played with my Dreamcast's in the same way after my accident of blowing it. :eek: lol

Eviltaco64
April 20th, 2010, 05:04
Are you going to tear it apart for any mods? :)

I never played with my Dreamcast's in the same way after my accident of blowing it. :eek: lol

Nah, I'm gonna leave my Sega Sports DC alone. As for my spare with no drive... ;)

VampDude
April 20th, 2010, 23:39
Hah, the same as my replacement console... Though I want to continue with my broken console if I can find the replacement part of the thing where I connected the battery and carelessly touched it with a screwdriver with the + and - briefly touching. :)

- - - April 24th, 2010, 16:29 - - -

Today I won PlayTV for £26, so hopefully in the next few days I will have more junk to watch when I'm not gaming and remain using my PS3 instead of my current box which doesn't output HDMI like my DVD/HDD player and PS3... Somehow I'm thinking about Christmas 2010, where I have two recordings (mainly movies) going and I want to either watch or record the third item. :cool:

Apparently the U.S. version (Torne) has trophies, so hopefully I can have trophies for watching TV too... Or playing the items and leaving the room for effortless trophies. :p

- - - April 27th, 2010, 15:46 - - -

Today I recieved my PlayTV and collectors edition of Final Fantasy XIII, which I've now purchased a 500GB drive for my PS3 to record mirrors of what my current box is recording... Then hopefully if I decide what to do with the 320GB, I will either have a 320GB laptop or another external. :)

mike_jmg
July 10th, 2010, 00:09
Bought a used psp slim 2001, Daxter Pack with original box, 1Gb memstick, Daxter and Family guy UMDs. Got it for around 160 usd, which here can be considered cheap.

It came with OFW 6.20 and of course right now is running 5.50 GEN-D3 haha :).

I couldn't be happier, the thing is in practically perfect condition, just some minor scratches on the silver ring in the back and a 2mm crack on the right down corner of where the screen ends which is hardly noticeable

VampDude
July 19th, 2010, 21:37
I recently purchased a 60GB PS3 (CECHC03), with a handful of PS2 and PS3 games. Which I've just upgraded to 320GB, hopefully more good news soon if someone re-enables the Other OS feature for 3.40+ (unfortunately it was updated by the previous owner).

Having two PS3's has it's advantages. :cool: