PDA

View Full Version : Nincest 64 Ported To PSP (Nintendo 64 Emulator)

wraggster
February 1st, 2006, 00:42
PSMonkey who has a site on our Network and more importantly the coder of NGPSP, the Neogeo Pocket Emulator for the PSP, Iris and Quake 3 BSP Viewer has released the Worlds first Nintendo 64 Emulator for the PSP, heres the details in full:

<blockquote>Well i bring you the "theoreticaly" first nintendo 64 emulator for psp. Before you get your hopes up, it only runs a small number of homebrew demos.

Here is the readme

P.S. If you wish to join my protest, post here on the forums!!

Nincest 64

// NINCEST 64 by Marius Dumitrean [[email protected]]

// PSP Port By PSmonkey (http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/)

// Based on the dreamcast port by Gpf (http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/)

// Icon by pochi

http://pochistyle.pspwire.net/

// My Protest

NOTE: THIS README MUST BE POSTED IN FULL, ANY REMOVAL WILL CALL FOR THE RELEASE REMOVED FROM THE SITE!

My Protest

I am sick and tired of sites treating coders like property. We are here for the scene! We are not your property!

You do not own us! We would still be here without you and just as strong!
This project is dedicated to all scene coders out there keeping up the good fight to progress the scene and not for cash, fame or being bought out by sites. This project is dead from here on out untill this scene improves!

If you wish to join my protest, please visit my homepage. http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk

Enjoy the emu. Ps, This wont run commercial n64 roms.

// Info

This is theoreticaly the first n64 emulator on the psp. It only runs 2 PD/Homebrew demos (stars & fire) which are included with the release. If the scene improves. I will come back and eventualy get a working emulator that will allow psp users to play smaller n64 games like mario 64 on their psp. If not, this emulator stops here. Also do note the source is included.

// To Use

1) Copy the "n64" Folder to the root of the memory stick.
..) Example "G:\" (replace G: with your psp drive letter)
2) Copy the files from the folder containing your psp version number
..) Example, 1.0 users will go into 1.0 folder and copy the psp directory to the root of the memory stick.
3) Run the software

// Greetings

wraggster, GPF, Pochi, Zeenbor, Lac, Everybody who worked on this emu & all at dcemu!</blockquote>

Check out the first Nintendo 64 Emulator for the PSP at the release page here -> http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk

Killing2Live
February 1st, 2006, 00:59
Awsome work on this!!!!!!!! I wish I could say sorry for all the noobs who act like coders owe them something but I hope you come back to continue this project and the many other ones you have done a great job on. I realize this takes a long time and you have my respect. We owe YOU something man, you guys are the one that makes the PSP better and better. I am greatly appreciated and I will join the resistance to clean up the scene.

Sonistar
February 1st, 2006, 01:10
I'll join the resistance im so sick of all this crap thats why ive never posted before. Thanks for actually making a stand we should get lots of people now youve showed them this little gem ^-^

Kaiser
February 1st, 2006, 01:15
This is a good refresher for the PSP scene. It breathes life into a scene which in recent months has been plagued by "Warez-Whores" , as 1timeuser would put it, and corrupted money-hungry sites. Somewhere in between Hello World and now some people sold out and forgot what the scene is all about. Now I'm not going to name names but we all have our suspicions towards certain people. These people should take this as a warning that many talented coders such as PSmonkey may in fact stop coding up jewels such as this release. Not just sites but some coders have lost there way to it seems, they should look past the money and get back to good old no-strings attached homebrew.

Anyway like I said seeing something like this refreshing for all.

PS: Wow quite that was quite the rant. Not exactly thought out but the point gets across I suppose.

miemt11
February 1st, 2006, 01:21
Hmmmmmmm, great project !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zephyroth_drgs
February 1st, 2006, 01:28
wow i thinked that actually wasnt possible, but thats some good news, but still a lot of way till it be at least playable, (snes n gba arent) but keep it going
to smash bro, adhoc someday!!!!

TheEmulatorGuy
February 1st, 2006, 01:44
Haha... how about that - I actually predicted it would be a N64 emulator.

urherenow
February 1st, 2006, 01:58
but I'll still say it. It's still 'almost' impossible. What's running? 2D very small home brew apps... and slow at that. Add 3d, a 64Mb cart... and it's gonna totally choke.
Not bashing, just a pessimist (sp?)

As for his protest... right on! Web site owners think they 'own' coders? As if! Website owners should be kissing the coders *sses for gracing their forums with their presence!
I'm with you all the way on that one PSMonkey! And if you really think you can get a commercial game running at 30fps... more power to you. You're a better man than I for even trying!

YourStillWithMe
February 1st, 2006, 02:23
Wow! Goldeneye in the palm of my hands? Perfect Dark!!!!!!!? My life would be umm at least 10% complete ok i need to get a life. . .anyway. . . .

I could not agree with the author/authors of this awesome emulator anymore. . .I have been with the psp scene since the memory stick swap method on the version 1.50 psp and the scene used to be so much more fun and interesting each and everyday! Team WAB was here, xuphorz was always online a lot helping me when I was a noob, (along with Kaiser) 1timeuser was there too. . . Than all that dumb stuff with who was to take the credit for the 2.00 downgrade, ISO's and all that stuff leaked in and destroyed the scene. Everyone always tries to get the credit for posting the news first. (**********) Can't we all just get along everyone?

To the author of this emulator-Fantastic Job

ben0910
February 1st, 2006, 02:26
This is what i have been waiting for i hope you dicede to keep going with this project.

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 02:29
Yo guy. Please go out and suport all coders of the scene. Specialy even the little guys who make strange but fun games in lua. Everybody is a contributer.

Also my protest is this. When you see sites going "Oh our .... who posted on our ... for us has ....", voice your opinion in their comments. Tell them your tired of them taking ownership for the release. They don't nead all the crap regarding a release. We need to tell sites were tired of this crap.

urherenow,
Heh. Well lets take a few things into consideration.
1) The emulator I ported is a very simple & basic n64 emulator writen in pure c. even a p4 can barly get above 30-45fps. There is much to optimise.
2) What you are looking at is a total of no more then 7 hours of work. Thats pretty much nothing.
3) Size does not matter. ;) A 2MB rom is not going to run faster/slower then a 8MB rom. It all comes down to how complex the game in that rom is.
4) Psp has hardware 3d, floating point unit and wicked VFPU (vector units). If heavly optimised around the psp hardware. There is no problem with this running at much faster speeds.

:)

Kaiser
February 1st, 2006, 03:43
I'd like to ask you something PSmonkey. Have you figured out the GPU of the PSP? I think most of the current emulators simply use the processing power and not the GPU it self. i remember hearing you say that your mystery project used a lot of new stuff and would open up a lot of doors for the PSP. Something like that.

NeoXCS
February 1st, 2006, 03:43
Yeah, I had an old 350 mhz computer running Mario 64 at almost perfect speeds so I think it's quite possible. :) Good work PSmonkey. Oh and yeah I wish the scene was back to how it used to be. I've been around for the whole life of the psp homebrew scene but didn't used to post on the forums. So yeah I've seen the unfortunate decline. Thank you for helping bring some new hope PSmonkey! :)

dman32
February 1st, 2006, 04:05
I have no idea why that guy said the snes is not playable on psp...its very playable..you MUST not be doing something right.

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 04:06
I'd like to ask you something PSmonkey. Have you figured out the GPU of the PSP? I think most of the current emulators simply use the processing power and not the GPU it self. i remember hearing you say that your mystery project used a lot of new stuff and would open up a lot of doors for the PSP. Something like that.

Umm.. I have to check my comments but I think i ment something else by that. Actualy most emus use the gpu/gu but for simple things. Iris actualy fully uses the Gu/Gpu (much like the quake 2 port does). There is little to figure out about the gpu anymore. I think the mistery is more in the VFPU or vector units (which are indeed very powerful).

Kaiser
February 1st, 2006, 04:22
Umm.. I have to check my comments but I think i ment something else by that. Actualy most emus use the gpu/gu but for simple things. Iris actualy fully uses the Gu/Gpu (much like the quake 2 port does). There is little to figure out about the gpu anymore. I think the mistery is more in the VFPU or vector units (which are indeed very powerful).

Well I'm pretty noobish when it comes to PSP developing :) . I must have gotten the wrong information. From what I've been told the GPU was not being fully utilized and the emulators were relying more on processing power.

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 04:39
Well I'm pretty noobish when it comes to PSP developing :) . I must have gotten the wrong information. From what I've been told the GPU was not being fully utilized and the emulators were relying more on processing power.

Well for the most part they are. Most are ports of pc emulators which render things to a framebuffer vs rendering a sprite as a sprite. Thus there is little the psp gu/gpu can do to help speed this. On the side of n64/ps1, its less of a problem since emulators were writen to write to an api like directx or opengl vs rendering out the 3d in software.

Kaiser
February 1st, 2006, 05:03
Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying things for me.

urherenow
February 1st, 2006, 05:20
3) Size does not matter. ;) A 2MB rom is not going to run faster/slower then a 8MB rom. It all comes down to how complex the game in that rom is.
4) Psp has hardware 3d, floating point unit and wicked VFPU (vector units). If heavly optimised around the psp hardware. There is no problem with this running at much faster speeds.

:)

By size, I was more referring to the ammount of RAM available to the PSP (and the umulator itself, as well as the rom, needs room in RAM) keeping the memory useage clean will be a chore and that's not counting the fact that you will have to rely heavily on High level emulation, which is
a) not accurate and thus not very compatible (but it will be ok if you're just trying to get Mario64 to run, I guess) and
b)hard to do without having pretty thorough documentation of the PSP's hardware. I'm sure things will continue to progress but as of now you devs are still shooting from the hip and figuring stuff out.

Now if you start actually coding professionally for the PSP... with an actual dev kit and SDK... seems like a double edge sword to me. On the one hand, you will be priveleged to a holy grail of information (and you might be able to make all of the above happen:P) . On the other hand... if you were to share any of that info to the public you'd probably get into more trouble than you can handle. If I were you I'd jump at that opportunity, but I fear the homebrew scene is gonna loose one of it's great contributors.

Anyway, good work and good luck! :)

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 06:05
By size, I was more referring to the ammount of RAM available to the PSP (and the umulator itself, as well as the rom, needs room in RAM) keeping the memory useage clean will be a chore and that's not counting the fact that you will have to rely heavily on High level emulation, which is
a) not accurate and thus not very compatible (but it will be ok if you're just trying to get Mario64 to run, I guess) and
b)hard to do without having pretty thorough documentation of the PSP's hardware. I'm sure things will continue to progress but as of now you devs are still shooting from the hip and figuring stuff out.

Now if you start actually coding professionally for the PSP... with an actual dev kit and SDK... seems like a double edge sword to me. On the one hand, you will be priveleged to a holy grail of information (and you might be able to make all of the above happen:P) . On the other hand... if you were to share any of that info to the public you'd probably get into more trouble than you can handle. If I were you I'd jump at that opportunity, but I fear the homebrew scene is gonna loose one of it's great contributors.

Anyway, good work and good luck! :)

Actualy there is less and less guessing going on. Alot has been figured out already on the psp. Sure there is still some to be figured out. Also n64 is not very hard to manage memory wise. Providing the emulator is limited to 4MEG memory (remember the n64 had 4meg RDmem that stored evertying including framebuffer) & only accept roms up to 16MB. This should fit just fine into the psp ~24MB of usable memory.

bballking
February 1st, 2006, 06:40
i havent even looked at this homebrew i cant even code and yet i read what you said and i felt you were absolutely correct there are probably thousands of people like me who only see the finished product of your projects and download download download and you know what if it wasnt for the hardwork that you are putting in none of this shit would be possible i'm a firm believer in what your doing protesting may not solve anything but i think you should continue your project knowing that their are people who respect and appreciate the work of coders...in fact id go as far to say that i revere coders what you guys do is worthy of praise...just never forget not everyone treats coders like tools...

signature:
P.P.D. Transcendentalist

kayhanbakid
February 1st, 2006, 07:38
i just want to say that i am in dept to anyone who has made homebrew software for the psp especially because i cant afford very many commercial games so almost all i have is homebrew and emulators. i cant imagine just playing need for speed forever. the homebrew community has made my psp more than worth buying. i have had loads of fun playing my old snes and genesis games on the psp and showing off to all my friends. and i dream of one day playing my psx games and mario kart 64 on the psp.

i usually don't post esecially if i have nothing good to say and it eats at me when people who can't program for their life, rip on people for trying to give us free stuff. i've said it b4 and ill say it again. thanx to all psp developers who have made the last year of my life unmeasurably more enjoyable.

SchmuckofNI
February 1st, 2006, 08:10
I think its great that someone out there is creating a n64 emu for the psp. Its amazes me to think that almost a year ago we saw the likes of hello world on version 1.0. Now we have a wip n64 emu! I can't wait to see what happens next!

F9zDark
February 1st, 2006, 08:19
I understand fully the reasons for protest. But I question the merits. Yes the homebrew scene has taken a downward spiral. But not finishing the port doesn't really cause harm to the websites who do not credit the developers properly and try to move in on the credit for the program.

If anything, it hurts the end user the most. The person who came to the site, was misinformed due to the protest's coupling with the N64 post (which is a double edged sword in itself: 1)You inadvertently promoted the very sites of which you are protesting since now thousands of more visitors saw the words N64 Emulator Ported. 2)These visitors, while many agree with you, have probably developed a dislike for you since you wont continue work on the emulator until the sites respect developers more.)

I do think the homebrew scene needs to change alot. There is much wrong with it. But I think there was a better way to go about it. By emailing the sites involved, you may have seen better results than to threaten the community with the life an emulator.

AAs well, you released the source, which anyone dying enough to get their hands on an N64 emulator can try and finish, and then your only leverage to inccur change within community is lost.

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I tell it how I see it.

TheEmulatorGuy
February 1st, 2006, 08:20
I reckon button input shouldn't be too hard to program. Once I get my PSPide working, and a button input tester for N64 (one without fancy graphics... ugh) I will do my best and try it.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
February 1st, 2006, 09:10
WOW hopefully this has opened the gates !!!!

quzar
February 1st, 2006, 09:15
By looking at the sources of it, it should be clear to you that the emulator cannot reach a better state than it is in without being utterly rewritten, that is a big reason as to why it was abandoned. No amount of tweaking will get any game playable at any level.

However, Mupen64 should be readily portable to the PSp.

miemt11
February 1st, 2006, 09:50
By looking at the sources of it, it should be clear to you that the emulator cannot reach a better state than it is in without being utterly rewritten, that is a big reason as to why it was abandoned. No amount of tweaking will get any game playable at any level.

NINCEST 64 0.05 beta is a small footprint and only got a mini n64 code support (PD ROM or some), so he take 7 hours to port to PSP format are possible.
BTw, he has now show to the PSP scene that nothing is impossbile.

But for Mupen64 0.05 and also Project64, has a very complex n64 code written to c language. For it to reach PSP format, very loog...................... (you try first)

MaxSMoke
February 1st, 2006, 10:08
I must be missing something. I always come to this website, since all of the other websites I've seen barely have any new information, and what they have is always radically out of date. From what I've seen on this website, Homebrew authors are always treated great and homebrew releases are going strong. I've never seen a single news post that didn't credit the author, along with links to the release. And Wraggester seems to post a new Homebrew release every hour! I haven't seen any good release not garner some praise. The people here are always very supportive. The only complaints I've seen are mostly legitimate problems with the software itself. It's rare to see a post from some snotty kid that just likes to complain. Maybe I'm not reading this forum enough?

This is the second big protest I've seen and I don't quite understand where this is coming from, or even why it exists, other then to garner some quick sympathies and unwarranted praise. Who's doing all of the negative stuff? You can't expect a ticker-tape parade from every release but you'll always get praise with every great release that's seen here. And if there's problems, you'll hear about those too. Some little kids might complain, that's normal. You can't expect everybody to be as supportive as the adults. But for the most part, this website and forum has been very supportive of all Homebrew authors.

Who is your letter aimed at? Maybe if you named names I could understand this protest and the last one. I've been doing mod stuff for Unreal Tournament for years, so I'm well aquatinted with snotty little kids and ungrateful critics nit-picking my life's work. But outside of being miffed, I've never let it get to me when people take my work for granted. It's not like I would stop making mods just because of them. After all, I like the work I've done, and I would do it even if I was the only person on earth that ever used it. When people appreciate our mod with a nice message, that always makes my day. But I certainly can't remember a time when I made a big post on the U4E front page saying I was going to quite if people didn't praise us more. Neither did any of the rest of our team.

From what I've seen on this forum, we've got nothing but love for PSP homebrew authors here. I would think these 3 pages of praise would show that. Or the countless other pages of praise that follow the release of every great piece of software. I just don't see the point of these protests based on what I see here. Help me out here. Where's this protest coming from?

quzar
February 1st, 2006, 10:10
nincest only barely plays demos, there is no amount of small changes that can be made to the code to make it play more, besides simply replacing code in it with code from other emulators.

I have tried first. To the Dreamcast at least. I tried Mupen64 to thet Dreamcast a year before you were even here. The ONLY problem with it is that it uses a LOT of memory. The code is written specifically to be very portable. The only part that would need any significant modification would be the removal alltogether of the dynamic recompiler (which is realtively easy).

now i'm actually considering picking up my mupen port again... i wonder if i still have the sources laying around somewhere...

wowfan
February 1st, 2006, 10:15
I understand fully the reasons for protest. But I question the merits. Yes the homebrew scene has taken a downward spiral. But not finishing the port doesn't really cause harm to the websites who do not credit the developers properly and try to move in on the credit for the program.

If anything, it hurts the end user the most. The person who came to the site, was misinformed due to the protest's coupling with the N64 post (which is a double edged sword in itself: 1)You inadvertently promoted the very sites of which you are protesting since now thousands of more visitors saw the words N64 Emulator Ported. 2)These visitors, while many agree with you, have probably developed a dislike for you since you wont continue work on the emulator until the sites respect developers more.)

I do think the homebrew scene needs to change alot. There is much wrong with it. But I think there was a better way to go about it. By emailing the sites involved, you may have seen better results than to threaten the community with the life an emulator.

AAs well, you released the source, which anyone dying enough to get their hands on an N64 emulator can try and finish, and then your only leverage to inccur change within community is lost.

I agree with you wholly, very well thought out and said. I too do not understand this 'PROTEST' as well, nor the method. Usually people send emails out first and then it leads to this. I don't know if you did this or not, but its usually a bit more professional.

Secondly, you never really said what you want to gain from your protest. Ok, you're sick of coders being treated like property, but what is your goal? What will the protest solve? We're all tired of this drama, and this is just another monkeywrench, am I wrong?

Also, I dont understand why you would not post this on a neutral place. It's like saying 'I'm not bought out, but I only post on this site.' Just a thought. Well best of luck to your protest, you really should clarify on what your goals are and perhaps be a bit more neutral, as well as define bought out and coders being treated like property. Last I checked, every site lets the world know if a coder put something in their forums or emaile them a program - it's called news.

miemt11
February 1st, 2006, 10:27
nincest only barely plays demos, there is no amount of small changes that can be made to the code to make it play more, besides simply replacing code in it with code from other emulators.

I have tried first. To the Dreamcast at least. I tried Mupen64 to thet Dreamcast a year before you were even here. The ONLY problem with it is that it uses a LOT of memory. The code is written specifically to be very portable. The only part that would need any significant modification would be the removal alltogether of the dynamic recompiler (which is realtively easy).

now i'm actually considering picking up my mupen port again... i wonder if i still have the sources laying around somewhere...

Let me Help you abit, about source code
http://mupen64.emulation64.com/files/0.5/mupen64_src-0.5.tar.bz2

You are one year before me, does not mean I not around during your old time, because I did not register in this forums(I dont own Dreamcast OK but I GOT PSP).

coolandthegang
February 1st, 2006, 12:43
honestly.....you're all ****ed up!why keepin post on those website rather than having your own one?don't get it...if no credits then ...welll it's anyway up to YOU to keep going....im not a coder...i dont expect from those people to keep going...If anyway you've done a coding thingy for the psp..then what???......nobody ask u to do so...u'r doing it because YOU like it...u coding because u love it...so if you want to keep going for your own personal use....well I DONT CARE!emulators are ok...well it's nice to have sometimes a "nostalgic2 feel...but guess what...technologie keep going on...and i'd love more than anything to play some deadly NEW games...game play and graphicly speaking rather than playing a poor 16 bits mario kart.....in which however i spent my time when I WAS A KID!do u get my point of view???if not ...does not matter...i like your projects coders...but if i bought the psp ...it was for the new technologie and not for a old GBA...call a dog a dog .....if you get it!

kind regards to all...and keep going if you like what YOU do with your free time...but then don't come to users proclaiming that webmaster and whoever are like owning you coders....apologies for my english...it is not my mother tongue! xxx

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 15:09
*cracks fingers*
I knew this was gonna happen. Time to start replying. Sorry for the string of spam post (i need to make quite a few).

Actualy not all sites have carried news of the release. I think people are getting mixed up on what I am protesting. I am protesting sites that are taking ownership of people's work & giving less attenion to little guys making us great little psp games & apps.

If I tagged my protest to anything else it would have gone more unnoticed. Since it's on the n64 emu, its going to get well noticed. Hell it's been noticed enough that a few sites in question have already contacted me saying they wish to end this internal fighting.

Regarding the source, It makes no difference. The source was avalible on the net from the start yet nobody took the time to try porting it. There is far toooooo much work to do to get this emulator running mario 64 but its do able to get a n64 emulator on the psp that can run mario 64 in the future.

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 15:11

You are right on the money. The entire core would need tons rewriting. I already fixed an anoyance in his mem handler (he freaking has a for loop to copy 4 bytes of data.

Anyways yes I have started looking at mupen64 but at the same time I think it might be better to take this emu and rewrite from scrach using the psp hw. Posibly going as far as writing a dynamic recompiler for the psp.

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 15:15
This is the second big protest I've seen and I don't quite understand where this is coming from, or even why it exists, other then to garner some quick sympathies and unwarranted praise. Who's doing all of the negative stuff? You can't expect a ticker-tape parade from every release but you'll always get praise with every great release that's seen here. And if there's problems, you'll hear about those too. Some little kids might complain, that's normal. You can't expect everybody to be as supportive as the adults. But for the most part, this website and forum has been very supportive of all Homebrew authors.

Who is your letter aimed at? Maybe if you named names I could understand this protest and the last one. I've been doing mod stuff for Unreal Tournament for years, so I'm well aquatinted with snotty little kids and ungrateful critics nit-picking my life's work. But outside of being miffed, I've never let it get to me when people take my work for granted. It's not like I would stop making mods just because of them. After all, I like the work I've done, and I would do it even if I was the only person on earth that ever used it. When people appreciate our mod with a nice message, that always makes my day. But I certainly can't remember a time when I made a big post on the U4E front page saying I was going to quite if people didn't praise us more. Neither did any of the rest of our team.

This is directly aimed at scene websites. What many are not getting is there has been alot of in fighting between a few major psp news sites. I am sick and tired of it and I want it to stop. That is where this protest is comming from & going. It already is starting to make progress as I have been in talks with 1 site in question about ending all this.

This has nothing to do with the rom kiddies, the people who complain about projects and etc etc. This is purely down to the sites who bring us this information and are fighting each other like they have to gain your suport for their army.

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 15:18

This is why I think that maybe studing other emulators and writing one from scrach or at a base level is the best option. Look at it this way in comparince. McZonk is having issues with getting the single player aspect of quake 2 running on the psp due to heavy memory usage where iris on the other had is running more complex maps with less issues. You of all people know the problems between porting & writing from scrach.

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 15:23
I agree with you wholly, very well thought out and said. I too do not understand this 'PROTEST' as well, nor the method. Usually people send emails out first and then it leads to this. I don't know if you did this or not, but its usually a bit more professional.

Secondly, you never really said what you want to gain from your protest. Ok, you're sick of coders being treated like property, but what is your goal? What will the protest solve? We're all tired of this drama, and this is just another monkeywrench, am I wrong?

Also, I dont understand why you would not post this on a neutral place. It's like saying 'I'm not bought out, but I only post on this site.' Just a thought. Well best of luck to your protest, you really should clarify on what your goals are and perhaps be a bit more neutral, as well as define bought out and coders being treated like property. Last I checked, every site lets the world know if a coder put something in their forums or emaile them a program - it's called news.

I am not trying to be just another monkey wrench thrown at the psp scene. I'm trying to stop all this crap. Like I have said in other post I have recently talked to an admin of another site last night in trying to get all this crap resolved.

If you guys take notice on sites. Many sites are taking ownership of coders. For instance "Our great forum moderator **** has given us an exclusive release of ****". Sorry but this is bullshit. This scene is for everybody. There is no need for this exclusive bull crap. This is just one of many instances. Again its not just one site. I have expressed to wraggster when I don't like him even doing it.

Also I did post this on a pretty neutral place. It's called my website. I've pretty much been making jabs at everybody including dcemu. I know this is making me unpopular but I never cared for popularity. I just want this bullcrap to freaking stop. Hopefuly my actions will make that happen.

Sharpy
February 1st, 2006, 15:47
cool emulator, the first n64 emulator for psp. He's right too, people shouldn't go around treating homebrew devs like dirt, homebrew devs are totally cool and put a lot of work into their projects and releases so hats off to them for releasing good homebrew

CoderX
February 1st, 2006, 16:52
This is a good refresher for the PSP scene. It breathes life into a scene which in recent months has been plagued by "Warez-Whores" , as 1timeuser would put it, and corrupted money-hungry sites. Somewhere in between Hello World and now some people sold out and forgot what the scene is all about. Now I'm not going to name names but we all have our suspicions towards certain people. These people should take this as a warning that many talented coders such as PSmonkey may in fact stop coding up jewels such as this release. Not just sites but some coders have lost there way to it seems, they should look past the money and get back to good old no-strings attached homebrew.

Anyway like I said seeing something like this refreshing for all.

PS: Wow quite that was quite the rant. Not exactly thought out but the point gets across I suppose.

That gameshark dude from psp-hacks quit yesterday

Personal i like his ddr mod
and the 2.0loder backgrounds where realy cool

it realy sucks when people let flamers get the better of them

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about20211.html

Apoklepz
February 1st, 2006, 18:36
I agree totally with PSMonkey...I'd also like to see the look on all those stupid ignorant people's faces once this news came out about the new and only N64 emu (specially those many hateful **uckheads over at the Gamespot forums who flamed endlessly at me, back when the PSP homebrew scene started, just because I said that it could be done. I have HUGE respect for everyone who codes marvelous stuff for the enjoyment of all gamers...even if something sucks, that person still managed to put heart & effort in it. Keep up the good work people. Godspeed.

quzar
February 1st, 2006, 19:04
This is why I think that maybe studing other emulators and writing one from scrach or at a base level is the best option. Look at it this way in comparince. McZonk is having issues with getting the single player aspect of quake 2 running on the psp due to heavy memory usage where iris on the other had is running more complex maps with less issues. You of all people know the problems between porting & writing from scrach.

My point, which none seemed to catch on to (except you), was that: while this is a nice oddity, the ability to play games was not removed or made to not work in the porting process, as it would seem, but the base emulator that it was based on simply did not have the capacity. So here the task moves from porting work to emulator authoring, which are two very distinct jobs. That being said the tone of your news regarding this emulator makes it seem like if you get whatever it is you are after, you will simply release a version with commercial emulation "turned on".

PSmonkey
February 1st, 2006, 19:29
My point, which none seemed to catch on to (except you), was that: while this is a nice oddity, the ability to play games was not removed or made to not work in the porting process, as it would seem, but the base emulator that it was based on simply did not have the capacity. So here the task moves from porting work to emulator authoring, which are two very distinct jobs. That being said the tone of your news regarding this emulator makes it seem like if you get whatever it is you are after, you will simply release a version with commercial emulation "turned on".

Ok yes my tone might sound like it's comming off that way but the idea is that, if the scene sites improve I will dedicate the time required to getting a n64 emulator running on the psp that can run at bare minimum mario 64.

This is more then do able & on top of it if I need some help on n64 info, I can always just ask lac for some help (we use to work for the same game studio). It's actualy something me, lac & a nother from the n64 scene have talked about in the past a few times. With alot of work and time, a n64 emulator is quite posible. Again for this to happen, it needs alot of time & a really dedicated coder. I've thrown around the idea for a while but just never tried starting.

satoshi
February 1st, 2006, 19:52
What that I tought was impossible you did it.

Keeping the good work, who knows if we will be abble to play at least Mario 64 or simple-based N64 games. Do it, because that always have people that will please you, and just forget all that people that THINK they own you.

Doing it, you will be on PSP Hack history [for one more of the best PSP Homebrews] :)

Mysteryman
February 3rd, 2006, 03:33
Kudos man, your becoming a true hero of psp homebrew.