PDA

View Full Version : DaedalusX64 Beta 2 Teaser Video

Wally
January 21st, 2009, 09:51
Hey guys,

Just made a little teaser for Beta 2.

http://www.youtube.com/v/joy3Oh8JRLQ

also avaliable at www.spiffup.org/Beta2teaser.mp4 (6MB)

This video is dedicated to all those who own a PSP hacked or not also can not compile alpha builds to watch DaedalusX64 Beta 2 in action.

As you can see in the video, things are shaping up pretty well however Beta 2 is still fairly unstable. We'd like to fix things up before they get to your hands.

Important Links:
Bug Tracker - The Bug Tracker is used to track any glitches / bugs. Post bugs @ www.spiffup.org/bugtrack
DaedalusX64 Forums - Any feature requests must go here to be seen properly. www.daedalusx64.com

Thank you folks and enjoy the video by myself and Salvy.

Wally, Salvy/ DaedalusX64 Team

silverstein101
January 21st, 2009, 16:10
i didn't think it looked that great at first. the first few games they showed have been playable forever. but starfox and ocarina of time are very impressive.

AdamRav
January 21st, 2009, 16:33
This is all new to me

Can't wait for the Beta release

ICE
January 21st, 2009, 16:43
Not the be a jerk or anything but was that not the most pretentious thing ever? Of course I love Daedalus but that video was a bit much.. lol

kyyubidx
January 21st, 2009, 17:15
Am I the only one shocked at such cockyness when the graphics are still kinda bugged? Plus OoT is far from playable seen in the vid.
If they fix all these in beta 2 and deliver with their promise "playable emulator" they'll get props... If they don't... I don't want to imagine the flame on the poor little mates. Still, people should keep in mind the word beta. Alpha > Beta > RC > Final (unless I'm mistaken)

Well unless they pull Microsoft and release a beta better than the final xD And yes I'm talking about Windows 7 build 7000 as compared to Vista SP1

jrsmaster411
January 21st, 2009, 17:21
I haven't been paying any attention to the 64 emulator on psp for a long time but this video got me excited for this release

pizzatacoman
January 21st, 2009, 17:22
I'm amazed at what is considered "playable".

The only game even really remotely playable is Rampage

kyyubidx
January 21st, 2009, 17:42
@my post above (yes i'm answering myself xD)

Team Daedalus X needs to keep in mind that if they want to achieve anything at all, it is going to take many months, if not years of coding, bug tracking and fixing. Question is: are they up for it?

Fact: PCSX2 took many, many years of coding and still isn't nowhere near perfect. And it only is possible because of the dual core and core 2 duo technology that followed after the start of the project. Still some to many games to run depending on your specs, and having more than a Core 2 Duo is useless since it has not been optimized for Core 2 Quad and i7.

My point in this rant? If you consider that most mid-high/high end machines run games like Crysis at great speeds and still stuggle with PS2 games, that makes youn think doesn't it?

Daedalus X team: No matter how good you are (which I do not question) and no matter how good the PSP is, keep in mind the architectural diferences between a PSP and N64. And above all, don't make promises you can't keep.

Sun Tzu once said: "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win"
You do the same guys ;)

acn010
January 21st, 2009, 18:24
i just see a slight difference speed... thats all

kharaboudjan
January 21st, 2009, 19:04
its not just a slight difference speed. mario 64 and mario kart 64 starfox and a couple of other games are really close to fullspeed now. thats really really great!

there are so many flamers in here, have you forgotten how difficult this project is? buuu on you :P

mike_jmg
January 21st, 2009, 19:06
It's a bit early to say it is done

Cause at this point rampage is the only game that runs fullspeed, don't get me wrong, I'm glad that this people put their time and effort to work in this awesome project.

And I really hope that someday every N64 game will be playable on daedalus.

kyyubidx
January 21st, 2009, 19:24
@kharaboudjan

You're mistaking flamers with realists. We are realists because we KNOW the difficulty of emulating any system. Have you not read my post? I think I put it very bluntly.

Salvy
January 21st, 2009, 20:05
Am I the only one shocked at such cockyness when the graphics are still kinda bugged? Plus OoT is far from playable seen in the vid.
If they fix all these in beta 2 and deliver with their promise "playable emulator" they'll get props... If they don't... I don't want to imagine the flame on the poor little mates. Still, people should keep in mind the word beta. Alpha > Beta > RC > Final (unless I'm mistaken)

Well unless they pull Microsoft and release a beta better than the final xD And yes I'm talking about Windows 7 build 7000 as compared to Vista SP1

i just see a slight difference speed... thats all

Well I'll just post my response I posted in QJ ;)

Just take note that all the videos were using the default settings so there wasn't frame skip or anything that isn't default except for Paper Mario that had Memory Access Optimisation enabled

Just compare the videos with beta 1 with the default settings you'll see the big improvements that have been done for Beta 2

Keep in mind this video was to show the improvements done since Beta 1

Heres a simple Test

Mario 64 Beta 1
-default settings
-first level
-no sound

14.5-16fps

Mario 64 Beta 2
default settings
same level
sound enabled

24-28fps

with the right settings I can take Mario64 to over 30fps with sound enabled (that's full speed)

-
Over 250 improvements/changes/bug fixes have been done since Beta 1 was released.
Now you tell me, there hasn't been any improvements?

PS: Emulating n64 in the PSP is not an easy task :p

jrsmaster411
January 21st, 2009, 20:18
Well I'll just post my response I posted in QJ ;)

Just take note that all the videos were using the default settings so there wasn't frame skip or anything that isn't default except for Paper Mario that had Memory Access Optimisation enabled

Just compare the videos with beta 1 with the default settings you'll see the big improvements that have been done for Beta 2

Keep in mind this video was to show the improvements done since Beta 1

Heres a simple Test

Mario 64 Beta 1
-default settings
-first level
-no sound

14.5-16fps

Mario 64 Beta 2
default settings
same level
sound enabled

24-28fps

with the right settings I can take Mario64 to over 30fps with sound enabled (that's full speed)

-
Over 250 improvements/changes/bug fixes have been done since Beta 1 was released.
Now you tell me, there hasn't been any improvements?

PS: Emulating n64 in the PSP is not an easy task :p

Owned

kyyubidx
January 21st, 2009, 20:20
@salvy:

Don't take me wrong... But I would most likely never play a bugged game just to say I can... What you people proposed was PERFECT emulation was it not?
Well... I still lots of graphic bugs that put me off touching it...
If you achieve fullspeed, great. Daedalus X Team deserves all the credits AND major props from everyone, including me.
And many people are desperate for it, so for them its great. I still feel there are better games natively, but its good for second-choices.

@poster above me:

Owned? Why? Is this UT3?
This is called "Discussion Forums"
People.Debate.Ideas.And.Points.Of.View.Here.If.You .Have.Nothing.To.Say.Do.Not.Post

Wally
January 21st, 2009, 21:39

Now now, no need to say we're cocky, its just a major improvement over Beta 1 compared

OOT is averaging at about 10 FPS, but thats only in kokori village, in other places such as temples its over full speed. If you didn't know OOT only needs 20FPS to run

We aren't like Microsoft, Microsoft are ... despicable and you know that!

As for the graphics, it was a 40 degree (C) day and my Video capture box was starting to feel it hence the washed out colours in a lot of the games.

kyyubidx
January 21st, 2009, 21:55
Thank you for your insight Wally =)

Still (call me picky but I'm a perfectionist) I saw some (or maybe it was the bad video quality) some places where texturing was not quite good yet (e.g. places with black places instead of textures)
But this is nevertheless great work ;) Keep it up people.
Also, I'd like to add I was not flaming, I trying to give you support in my own, bizarre way..

IDidMyTime
January 21st, 2009, 22:06
Sorry, I have to agree with alot of the comments, Exactly what has the new team 'proved'?

I havent been keeping up with the project, and my initial reaction was there was a huge leap, theres a leap, but nowhere near enough to warrent that kind of statement.

The day when something is fullspeed the entire way through is the day you have, not adding X game which runs at 55% speed, because lets be honest, not even hardcore OOT fans will play it on the PSP with that speed.

Cant the team just concentrate on certain games, like perhaps Mario64? or something which could possibly be done? I would rather have 3 fullspeed games then 30 at 70%.

Wally
January 21st, 2009, 22:50
Sorry, I have to agree with alot of the comments, Exactly what has the new team 'proved'?

Just the fact that its faster and with new technology.

I havent been keeping up with the project, and my initial reaction was there was a huge leap, theres a leap, but nowhere near enough to warrent that kind of statement.

There's a considerable amount of increase since Daedalus R13, I suggest you try it out for yourself, its hard to discover how playable it is via a video.

The day when something is fullspeed the entire way through is the day you have, not adding X game which runs at 55% speed, because lets be honest, not even hardcore OOT fans will play it on the PSP with that speed.

Its fairly playable in other areas, kokori village happens to be the slowest, however savestate was broken in the process of making the video and i'd be happy to demonstrate other areas.

Cant the team just concentrate on certain games, like perhaps Mario64? or something which could possibly be done? I would rather have 3 fullspeed games then 30 at 70%.

If you look at it from a technical view, you can't. I mean we can profile certain roms but its not always going to be the best way of doing it. At the moment I believe Zelda as being one of the more sophisticated N64 games is being focused on.

Im not here to start a fan club, i'm here to show you our achievements. Not to start a flame war.

Thank you for your insight Wally =)

Still (call me picky but I'm a perfectionist) I saw some (or maybe it was the bad video quality) some places where texturing was not quite good yet (e.g. places with black places instead of textures)
But this is nevertheless great work ;) Keep it up people.
Also, I'd like to add I was not flaming, I trying to give you support in my own, bizarre way..

I understand the perfectionist view, as I am one myself :P. The black textures you saw might have been Texel1 which is a second texture that can not be implemented natively but can be done other ways which will cost us processing power. Its not ideal at the moment. Otherwise its mostly going to be the video recording.

EDIT Merged two Posts ~ Wally

maxipower90
January 21st, 2009, 23:17
Well done... I am really excited for this, for the none believers out there, giving this project negative views suchas What has been done... give them a break there working with a PSP not a NASA computer.

progress has been made and thats all that matters and im sure they need our support and the feeling that there doing something good.

just my 2 pence

btw any improvment in Majora's Mask :thumbup:

IDidMyTime
January 21st, 2009, 23:25
Thanks for the reply Wally, good luck with the progress.

juiceface
January 21st, 2009, 23:25
I just have to say thanks to the whole DaedalusX64 team for all of their hard work and dedication on the project.

Ignore the comments from the ungrateful people on this board; They have no programming experience and expect a full speed n64 emulator in the matter of 2 months. These people are what i'd call Un-realists.

Rather than being ungrateful why not just say thanks for the video and move on? No one really cares about your personal requirements. If you aren't here to show appriciation to this team of coders then GTFO.

I myself am looking forward to future releases and am very thankful someone finnaly got the ball rolling on this project. the N64 is one of the last emulated systems to be conquered on the PSP. I know with enough hard work and ingenuity this emulator will run most games acceptably to 99% of the people out there. The other 1% you will never be able to appease.

Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged

Kakashi987
January 22nd, 2009, 00:06
I totally noticed the difference straight away.

I understand people are still sceptical, but I never various projects would achieve their goals.

Awesome work guys, keep it up!

Buddy4point0
January 22nd, 2009, 00:07
So sweet!
A huge thanks to the X64 team!

Here's a high quality upload:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/HomebrewHeaven/videos/17/

You can actually read the text.

IDidMyTime
January 22nd, 2009, 01:06
These people are what i'd call Un-realists.

I know with enough hard work and ingenuity this emulator will run most games acceptably to 99% of the people out there

Hypocrisy at its finest. Everyone has a right to state their view, aslong as its in a resonable and civilized manner.

#1 Gamemaster
January 22nd, 2009, 01:53
That is a lot better than the last time I used Daedalus wich was Daedalus R13.

I have one question though were those the games with sound enabled or not. Even if it isn't enabled on them I still have to say you guys are awesome and to keep up the good work. :thumbup:

PSmonkey
January 22nd, 2009, 01:54
Cute wally but your video should note some credit to strmnnrmn (even though most with a brain would realise that, thats not a large chunk of the scene).

:P

Daedalus X team: No matter how good you are (which I do not question) and no matter how good the PSP is, keep in mind the architectural diferences between a PSP and N64. And above all, don't make promises you can't keep.

Something tells me you don't know the N64 & PSP architecture very well or you wouldn't make such a big deal over it.

It's their simularities is what makes this posible in the first place, (not to mention why we have such a strong built ps1 emu on psp from sony, again simularities in the hw)

No_one_in_particular
January 22nd, 2009, 02:56
Cute wally but your video should note some credit to strmnnrmn (even though most with a brain would realise that, thats not a large chunk of the scene).
He's part of the Daedalusx64 team though? An active one at that as well, judging by the change-log.

Its fairly playable in other areas, kokori village happens to be the slowest, however savestate was broken in the process of making the video and i'd be happy to demonstrate other areas.
If you could? There's nowhere near enough videos released demonstrating Daedalusx64 new developments - it's a shame.

This is just nonsense. Super Mario is very much playable. I'm amazed at how narrow a scope people have for the term 'playable', myself.

I do think the video could have done without the ostentatious quoting, like - as you can see, it's only going to attract harshness as to it's merits.

Wally
January 22nd, 2009, 04:14
Yeah he is. StrmnNrmn has been part of the X64 team since... it started basically.

Maybe later on i'll do some zelda videos.

Don't feed the trolls, they'll only get worse and worse.. besides they'll get quoted in the future :D.
OH and this guy has to see for himself.

P.S Mario 64 is running with sound which means its slightly faster than that without sound.

PSmonkey
January 22nd, 2009, 05:30
Well that shows how well I've been following psp news. LoL.

I though StrmnNrmn was MIA still.

rashlin
January 22nd, 2009, 08:08
congratulation X64 you done it again.
looking froward for the beta release.

thanks.

Wally
January 22nd, 2009, 08:20
Well that shows how well I've been following psp news. LoL.

I though StrmnNrmn was MIA still.

Nup he's back now! :) We've attached him to a piece of string so he doesn't run away either :P

browncoat.tobi
January 22nd, 2009, 09:59
Wow, you guys made awesome progress!
Can't wait to try the beta myself.

kharaboudjan
January 22nd, 2009, 14:49
mario 64 is fully playable in Beta 2. but it is not fullspeed.. its between 20-30 fps with audio enabled.. often around 25.. but it feels so great ingame so its a great joy to play it!

try it yourself before posting negative comments :)

caffeinekid
January 22nd, 2009, 19:36
Warez-kiddies practically killed the emulation scene on the PC I hope that isn't happening again.

Coding an emulator is a beautiful thing and takes a lot of work - it is done to show it can be done and as a force of will and not so that kids can play games for free.

I remember getting the first release of the first ever SNES emulator on the PC that only supported text mode and I was so impressed. It couldn't play games or do anything at all but it was a coding achievement and that's what it's all about at the end of the day.

Sorry for rambling on but it really wears me down to still see people crying because things don't run fast enough - getting an emulator working at all is takes a lot of work especially on such privative hardware.

I believe that someone once said that a general rule of thumb was needing 10x the power of the original machine in order to emulate it at full speed. This is a big generalisation of course. :)

discombobulated
January 22nd, 2009, 21:02
idk about this. I haven't found an emu yet that can play most SNES games at full speed on PSP.

Wally
January 22nd, 2009, 21:15
idk about this. I haven't found an emu yet that can play most SNES games at full speed on PSP.

The SNES emu has never been finished properly, Daedalus is being worked on because its such an advanced project and shows off developer talent.

Google up the SNES specs and then the PSP Specs then the N64 specs and tell me which is more similar =). More similarities = less to emulate, and more that can be done on hardware natively.

pspforme!!
January 22nd, 2009, 21:29
Im really happy to see that the n64 is still being worked on. Its been one of my main interests since hacking my psp. Any progress is progress, so thank you guys for spending your time and effort on this project. I am very greatful and excited to see what lies ahead.

NeoXCS
January 23rd, 2009, 05:23
Hey Wally, long time not talk. I'm glad to see that a new team is working on Daedalus, I was starting to lose hope. I still have the last beta on my PSP with a couple games. :p This is looking a bit better than the last beta by StrmnNrmn was. Can StrmnNrmn's last beta play Paper Mario at all? O_o I love Paper Mario! =) Never tried it though. Anywho, I can't wait to see this and the next full version this team releases. Good luck team. =)

dgila
January 23rd, 2009, 15:41
Psp is a very powerfull device, it's sad to see some psp games with similar quality tham N64 games... lol !

I know psp and N64 have some similar hardware... but.. this is cool! and the tv out... cool!!

If programers watch this video maybe they'll try to do it better wen porting a ps2 or ps3 game to the psp!!

At least they could fix that stupid "fog" that appears wen converting a game to psp screen resolution and makes the game.... horrible.

Congratulations to Daedalusx64 team!!

Can someone tell me the name of that game with a monkey destroying the city?

goldeneyegod
January 23rd, 2009, 16:03
Well done to everyone involved in this project, even a small improvement is improvement. Keep up the good work!
Any news on how goldeneye runs with the beta 2?

Zack
January 23rd, 2009, 16:07
Can someone tell me the name of that game with a monkey destroying the city?

Rampage ;)

Voorhees
January 23rd, 2009, 22:29
Well this is a big phat punch in the face for all the people who said it wasn't possible and never will be. I'm looking forward to it. Great programming, really super. peace

chuggman
January 24th, 2009, 01:03
Awesome, It looks like real progress is being made.
I wonder if what has been done to the wii could be done
with the psp. The wii has a specific emulator for each
game they put on there download service. Do you think
we will see specific versions of this emulator for different
Games?

Wally
January 24th, 2009, 07:06
That game is Rampage :P

Bobablob
January 24th, 2009, 10:34
Great job, team! This is very exciting!

wisinx
January 24th, 2009, 15:06
WoW.***** This is PROGRESS .. Finally I can try 2 play Zelda in PSP.. Thkz For the team... :)

kharaboudjan
January 24th, 2009, 16:24
zelda is one of the harder games to emulate.. so dont expext it to be fantastic. yet :P

the team has a goal (among many others) for the next release to make Zelda to work nice. it is sure faster now than before but it isnt fully playable yet imo. hopefully in beta 3 :)

try banjo kazooie, that game runs really great!

SmashinGit
January 25th, 2009, 08:37
Excellent work, can't wait for the release. Thanks alot.

No_one_in_particular
January 26th, 2009, 05:57
Maybe later on i'll do some zelda videos.
If it's not too much trouble? It'd be much appreciated. :)

Don't feed the trolls, they'll only get worse and worse.. besides they'll get quoted in the future :D.
Haha.

edy_pagaza
January 27th, 2009, 15:02
i just had a dream,
that i was playing mario party on psp

LOL

edy_pagaza
January 28th, 2009, 03:10
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_emulador-n64-daedalusx64-beta-1_1111570

:O